ReefCleaners.org

Proof that bottled bacteria does work!

DriftingNemo

It's day 14 of the nitrogen cycle. Now here's the thing, the tank is cycling really quick. I started the system with tap water (I know a lot of people will hate me for this but my city water is actually really good) used a piece of fish to spike the ammonia and added 5lbs of live rock to around 50lbs of dry ocean rock. I also used a whole bottle of 137ml API StressZyme+. My parameters from 3 days ago:

Ammonia-1ppm

Nitrite-5ppm

Nitrate-80ppm+

Yesterday's parameters:

Ammonia-Undetectable

Nitrite-1ppm

Nitrate-not tested

Today's parameters:

Ammonia-still undetectable

Nitrite- less than 0.25ppm

Nitrate-40ppm

I suspect that within the next 24 hours my tank should be clear of nitrite and the nitrate will decrease more meaning that my cycle is over. Last time I cycled a tank was a year ago and I used the same method but without the use of any bottled bacteria. That cycle took about 2 months. This proves that bacteria products (well at least Stress Zyme+) actually work.

I know that everyone's setups are different and that for some reason bacteria products show no difference. But I am truly astonished at how quickly my cycle is going. My tank is also really low tech, it's a 63 gallon that's only running a Fluval 406 canister with all types of media stuffed into it. I have no skimmer and no reactors, not even a powerhead until Christmas.

I am not saying that you are wrong, but the bacteria could have came from the fish (unless you cooked it really well or something).[/quote

I used the exact same method last time I cycled a tank but without the bottled bacteria. For my Ammonia source I used a small piece of frozen bass. My old tank took nearly 2 months to cycle. Today is day 15 of the cycle and my Nitrites are undetectable, I believe that it worked for me, I just don't think my tank would have cycled as quickly without the bacteria.

a good test would be, spike the ammonia again and watch it through the cycle. if it clears back out, then bam! your cycled.

i've only cycled one saltwater tank, but cycled a number of freshwater tanks with Dr tims and without Dr tims and it definitely does help in my experience.

cool, that irrefutable proof. You should try working at your local lfs, counter some of the dumb stereotype lfs workers are notorious for

The LFS I used to work for had experienced employees that were far from dumb. However, to make sales you sometimes need to bend the truth. If you tell everyone that a goldfish needs at least a 30 gallon tank, you won't sell as many unless you can sell an aquarium to house the fish too.

Deleted User 8

The LFS I used to work for had experienced employees that were far from dumb. However, to make sales you sometimes need to bend the truth. If you tell everyone that a goldfish needs at least a 30 gallon tank, you won't sell as many unless you can sell an aquarium to house the fish too.

Boo! Maybe if the LFS monkeys were truthful, people would then come to know that goldfish need bigger tanks and that beta fish need heaters...I could go on and on. It starts with goldfish, but then ends up with customers taking home a snowflake eel in a 10g tank that will be thier first fish tank ever.

But then telling the truth might cost the sale...

Pfffttt!

Buzz

Boo! Maybe if the LFS monkeys were truthful, people would then come to know that goldfish need bigger tanks and that beta fish need heaters...I could go on and on. It starts with goldfish, but then ends up with customers taking home a snowflake eel in a 10g tank that will be thier first fish tank ever.

But then telling the truth might cost the sale...

Pfffttt!

Buzz

I know what you mean and I totally agree. I used to tell people the minimum tank requirements for their fish, but I wouldn't refuse to sell a fish to someone if they don't give a damn. At the end of the day, the fish store is only supposed to give advice and sell fish, the rest depends on what the customer does. There were cases in which people wanted to get a couple of goldfish to put in their 5 gallon tanks and I would end up selling them a 40 gallon tank. Those type of customers are the best because they care for the fishes well being and bring in good money to the shop :)

cool, that irrefutable proof. You should try working at your local lfs, counter some of the dumb stereotype lfs workers are notorious for

i love how this sarcasm is so subtle that it started a spinoff topic :D

I know what you mean and I totally agree. I used to tell people the minimum tank requirements for their fish, but I wouldn't refuse to sell a fish to someone if they don't give a damn. At the end of the day, the fish store is only supposed to give advice and sell fish, the rest depends on what the customer does. There were cases in which people wanted to get a couple of goldfish to put in their 5 gallon tanks and I would end up selling them a 40 gallon tank. Those type of customers are the best because they care for the fishes well being and bring in good money to the shop :)

The LFS I worked at was different. We would get into trouble for selling the animals to improper setups. I refused service to dozens of people. Then again I, let a great number of animals go out the door on the promise of an upgrade; there is no easy way to discourage the practice.

The LFS I worked at was different. We would get into trouble for selling the animals to improper setups. I refused service to dozens of people. Then again I, let a great number of animals go out the door on the promise of an upgrade; there is no easy way to discourage the practice.

It just depends who runs the business and what the owners motives are... Also if you live in a low populated area, there's going to be less customers meaning that you can't afford to refuse selling fish. Either way, the customer should do research before even considering getting into this hobby. Sure, the LFS should give advice, but the customer shouldn't completely depend on the employees knowledge. For instance, I went to a very reputable fish store to buy some fish and coral. I pretended to know very little about marine fish, and the advice I was given was 100% honest.

Archived