Pod Your Reef

Nidding's drop - gone soft

nidding

Added a bit more life to the tank; 2 lysmata kuekenthali, a tuxedo urchin, a bicolor blenny and a royal dottyback.

Originally I intended to get a royal gramma, but the LFS didn't stock them, and I somehow convinced myself that it would be okay to swap the two. Now that I have it home in the tank, I'm somewhat less assured. So far it's very well behaved though and it is a very cool looking fish, so we'll see how it all works out :)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you guys help me ID my zoas, maybe? :)

The LFSs around here don't know anything about them, so they usually don't have any names...

15871608880_74eae0cd7f_o.jpgDSC_0874 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

2 (sold to me as "maybe LA lakers". I don't think so...)

16056934901_e2d6bd9685_o.jpgDSC_0868 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

3 (Bad photo)

15872821969_8127fcdd1d_o.jpgDSC_0876 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

4 (the pink ones)

15871441658_e2d3158837_o.jpgDSC_0879 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

5 (the whole middle is a bit more purple)

15439231083_e5b0fbdc78_o.jpgDSC_0881 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

16058192802_d4b0a4ab9f_o.jpgDSC_0887 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

15436602294_79202226ee_o.jpgDSC_0888 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

8 (both kinds, though I suspect the ones at the back to be water melons)

16058897555_f98f6d18bb_o.jpgDSC_0893 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

9 (very small)

16056933561_82fb9f4fd5_o.jpgDSC_0898 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

16056933141_50020a2903_o.jpgDSC_0901 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

love the zoa's very nice

Thanks fizzy :)

I don't have sny one of those really fancy ones, but a good mix of colours goes a long way, if you ask me :)

Dude those paly's look amazing. Fancy for sure!

Sweet idea! Your tank looks great :)

Thank a lot :)

Need to get a bit more control over the algae, and then let it grow in with lots of corals! A lot to look forward to :)

Well, not fancy in the "200-dollars per polyp"-kinda way ;)

But yeah, I fancy them a lot :)

I don't even know what $200/polyp palys look like. If they don't have like naturally growing Picasso look a like paintings in them (or Chicago Blackhawks logos in them), they aren't worth it.

Nice tank! Denmark? It must be a nice place to live in.

Thanks a lot. I'm happy you like it :)

Yeah, I guess we have it better than most here. You know, it's like everywhere else, and there's a lot of things I think should be different, but hey, at the moment I'm writing my masters thesis that the state paid (along with every single year of school I've taken), and am getting paid each month to do so. So a lot of things could surely be a hell of a lot worse for me ;)

How about a new FTS?

Not a lot has changed over the last week since the last FTS, but I'll give you a shot from the side :)

16262244896_33cc344282_o.jpgDSC_1400-Edit by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

..also, here's a pic of my sump. I'm growing chillies down there as I have some room to spare. I plan on getting some kind of ATS, a frag tank, and some automated dosing which will in time take over the room. But now that it was there, I figured I might as well put it for good use ;)

15665761224_9a0a7f8e96_o.jpgDSC_1354 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw one of the lysmata kuekenthali pop its head out beind a rock this morning. I thought the dottyback had gone shrimp hunting, so I was quite surprised to see it. Hasn't touched any aiptasia yet, though. Hopefully it will at some point

• 2 weeks later...

Added a bit more life today

A pygmy angel, two emerald crabs and a pincushion urchin.

Also put in my first SPS; a purple monti cap, red digitata, and an acro bali slimer.

Pictures will follow :)

Update on the new livestock.

For the first time, I have an urchin that actually looks like it's thriving. I recently found out that my refractometer had been miscalibrated, and that my salinity was way too low. I suspect that is why the tuxedo urchins that I have put in the tank before have died. The new pincushion is munching away on the algae. So everything good there.

I have not seen the emerald crabs except for one of them briefly today, when it was hiding in a frogspawn. Guess they are doing fine. And I have noticed some bare patches of rock where the urchin has not been yet, so I guess they are munching away as well.

I had actually lost hope for my pygmy angel, as my dottyback, being a dottyback, gave it a hell of a beating. It's missing half of its tail-fin, and has really looked bad. The last few days has been a huge improvement though and it is now swimming around, eating happily from the GHA, chasing frozen food and even manning up in front of its mirror image in the glass. All while the other fish have pretty much lost interest in chasing it. I'm pretty confident that it will be okay :)

The SPS are also doing okay, and I spot a bit of growth tips on the digitata. So pure optimism on that front as well :)

Tank looks disgusting!

Red turf and GHA all over! Some cyano as well.

The urchin and emeralds are doing a good job of munching the algae though. I'm thinking of putting in some mexican turbos to hit the red turf hard. Will wait a few days to see how fast it declines with the current CUC.

Pygmy Angel is doing great and its fins have almost healed fully by now. SPS are growing as well. So apart from the algae, the tank is coming along well :)

Also I had a bucket with some rocks and bleach standing. When I took up the rocks, I found these bubble algae

16503399985_67e472b688_b.jpgDSC_1713 by jonas_sandager, on Flickr

Dead bubble algae = good bubble algae :)

I've always wanted to chrome plate my bubble algae! ;) I really like your zoa collection and the whole look of the drop off. Makes me think about getting one when I get to upgrade my tank.

Tank looks great hope you can get the algae under control

Thanks! :)

I hope that too. I see some clear signs of improvement at the moment, so I'm pretty confident.

Can't remember if I have posted in your thread, but I really like your tank. Very good and healthy looking reef you've got! :)

I've always wanted to chrome plate my bubble algae! ;) I really like your zoa collection and the whole look of the drop off. Makes me think about getting one when I get to upgrade my tank.

Hahaha. Yeah, I just want them DEAD! My emeralds seem to be digging in on the ones that I still have in my tank. Great little critters, them crabs!

And thanks :) I'll probably be adding some more zoas along the way. Always on the lookout for a cheap piece with great colours ;)

There sure are some great drop offs out there. I'd just say go for it! :)

And thanks for dropping by my thrread :)

Archived