Pod Your Reef

Strange (maybe) Test Results

bevo5

Hi all - just a quick noob question. I recently got the red sea basic test kit (alk, calcium, mg). I tested the tank and got:

Alk: 7.0

Calcium: Just under 500

MG: Off the scale

PH: 8.0

Thinking I was probably doing things incorrectly I asked my LFS to test the alk again. It came up 7.0. So I purchased some two-part buffers and set out to fix things up.

My strategy was to just add alk buffer until things evened up some. So I've been adding one dose every other day for about a week now. I test each day and so far I've only noticed a SLIGHT increase in alk, and my calcium is still at just about the max of the test kit. And when I say SLIGHT, I mean SLIGHT.

Meanwhile my PH has gone from 8.0 to about 8.2...so the buffer is working there.

Should I increase the amount of buffer I"m putting in until I notice a shift in the levels? It seems strange that nothing is moving the needle one way or the other.

I've only done one major (15%) water change during the process.

Thanks.

If you are dosing alk and seeing no change then increase the dose. The amount you are currently adding is being absorbed by the corals so you are seeing no change. It could also be due to your high calc which will precipitate out to normal levels as alk rises.

Archived