inTank Media Baskets

Biocube 8 Anemone Species Tank.. Can it be done?

Jonnywhoop

I love the idea of making my biocube 8 a species only tank with a single or pair of clowns, porcelain crabs, and sexy shrimp. My biocube has a MJ600 pump, rapid LED retrofit, and a fuge in the back. I change about 50% once a week, and I dose nothing in the tank besides amino acids. I currently have one RBTA in there and he's open. Have yet to feed him since he's only been in there for one week. Tank has been up and running for more than 6 months. Its just empty because I usually put all my corals in my 20L.

What are the requirements to make this happen?

Will I have to do 2 water changes a week?

dose anything?

I know that maintaining stability in a tank this size is difficult, but whats this hobby without challenges? ;)

You should be fine with BTA's. They will likely outgrow the tank, but no other reason it wouldn't work. They do better with moderate nutrient levels than a really sterile tank anyways. You would need to keep an eye on your NO3 and PO4 to determine if you need more water changes. 2 clowns in an 8 is going to be pushing it once they mature, but if you are conservative in feeding them, it should work. You don't need to spot feed the anemone at all. You can, but it isn't a requirement as long as the lighting is sufficient. It will likely get food when you feed the clowns as well.

yeah just RBTAs... I would love a carpet just because I have never tried them before, but I will wait until I get my big tank in 1 - 2 years. As for the clowns, yeah I was thinking of returning them for credit at the LFS, but they were my first SW fish, so I am a little attached. They don't really roam far from their RBTA currently anyways.

where should my NO3 and PO4 levels be at? WC should be adequate? As long as the tank is consistent and stable it shouldn't be a problem right?

Sounds like the set up I have now. I have a Nuvo 8 with a pair of clowns and 4 bubble tip anemones. The anemones are still small and will eventually be moved. But for now it's working.

I do a 50% water change weekly and I change the filter floss every 3 days. No skimmer

I had a cyano bloom at first but I added some macros and it's cleared up. It's an awesome little tank

Sounds like the set up I have now. I have a Nuvo 8 with a pair of clowns and 4 bubble tip anemones. The anemones are still small and will eventually be moved. But for now it's working.

I do a 50% water change weekly and I change the filter floss every 3 days. No skimmer

I had a cyano bloom at first but I added some macros and it's cleared up. It's an awesome little tank

Do you have any pics of your set up? I'm planning to switch my Cad8 into a dedicated BTA tank as well.

Do you have any pics of your set up? I'm planning to switch my Cad8 into a dedicated BTA tank as well.

You cant see them all in the picture but here's a picture from last night

macro1_zps0e18a32b.jpg

yeah thats an awesome little tank! only difference is, is that i am running a fuge in the back.

ive noticed that my female clown is sucking on my nem's tentacles. It literally looks like shes sucking d@#k LOL she got a whole 1.5cm in her mouth. I guess my clown is a slut ;)

You cant see them all in the picture but here's a picture from last night

macro1_zps0e18a32b.jpg

this is what i want to do! is there a difference in the red and green BTA? or just the color? will theses things sting?

always dreamed of a clown/ anemone tank! can not wait for nuvo 8 to arrive this week! lol

this is what i want to do! is there a difference in the red and green BTA? or just the color? will theses things sting?

always dreamed of a clown/ anemone tank! can not wait for nuvo 8 to arrive this week! lol

No, I just haven't had a lot of luck with green ones. Plus I can never find them small. The pink one I have just likes to split so it tends to stay pretty small. All I have to do is feed it and it's happy. I've had no issues keeping anemones in this tank. I had a cyano outbreak early on but it's cleared up with water changes and time. This tank is only a few months old.

Archived