Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mantis Shrimp Mayhem Tank - A study in 6.8 gallons

NanoTank1

I missed the responses to this thread! Fluffy is doing well. Fluffy is massively anti-social though. Fluffy waits for that piece of shrimp (must be 1 inch or less from cave entrance), grabs it and then hops back inside. Fluffy even half-way barricaded its entrance with rubble. Any ideas on how to coax Fluffy out in the open? I'm thinking I need some live snails.. to promote the hunting instinct.

By the way, the one firefish goby in the tank has been left untouched. Weird...

He might be preparing for a moult, my crayfish always get weird before the new skin. Also that explains the barricade being made.

Interesting.. that's definitely good to know.

Please keep me posted what he does, if he refuses food, let him fast. Many times crustaceans also fast before a moult. Another tip iodide supplements can reduce moult mortality.

1. Clarence does all that and in the beginning was very shy also; coming out of the den only to grab food so here's what i did. He loves live hermit crabs so i set up a cheap 2.5 gal petco tank with an AC 20 HOB filter and a cheap fluorescent bulb for some warmth. I threw in 2lbs live rock and keep it bare bottom.. about 50.00 total. SORRY ABOUT THE WEIRD SPACING FROM HERE ON.

I buy about 10 hermits from my LFS at .99 apiece and keep them in the holding tank till ready for Clarence to dine on.

I feed him one every other day and supplement with raw shrimp on off days.

HERE'S HOW. I take a hermit in long tweezers and dangle it in front of his den until i can see Clarence near the opening and then

I move the crab back from the den a little (like i'm teasing him). After a few mins he grabs the crab, goes into his

den, and let the banging begin!!! During this whole process, i keep my hands and face very close to the tank so

he learns to associate ME with feeding time.

After doing this for a month or two, he now comes out of the den waiting to be fed whenever he sees me near the

tank with tweezers and a crab in hand and also moves around the tank at will.

Mine also blocks up his den quite often, especially at night.

Clarence has molted once since i've had him and it was very scary for me. He started acting weird and not

eating and then he blocked himself into his den and i didn't see him or hear anything at all from him for 2 full

weeks. I thought he had died in there but i was patient after being advised by several other Mantis owners to

wait...After about 2 weeks, i thought i heard him and slowly (over several days), he finally emerged with a

shiny new suit of clothes. I really found out that Mantis molting is a big deal....

Archived