Top Shelf Aquatics

Hammer Coral Info

Drexellake

What is considered "moderate" water flow? I have a new hammer in a 17g with Hydor 425gph and 300gph return. Is this too much? It doesn't appear to be opening since moving it where there is more flow.

You should have no direct flow of water onto the hammer. If it was opening before and now it is not I would move it back or adjust your powerhead to lower the flow directed at it. My frogpsawn seems to like a lot more flow than my hammer as well.

You should have no direct flow of water onto the hammer. If it was opening before and now it is not I would move it back or adjust your powerhead to lower the flow directed at it. My frogpsawn seems to like a lot more flow than my hammer as well.

Thanks I have a smaller Hydor pump with about half the flow that I'll try. I think this one is too strong for this tank. It's moving everything quite a bit. Nothing in the tank requires high flow.

I run ~25x constant flow rate in my tank which is on the lower end. I see most people go with higher flow rates but I think the hydor 240 would be plenty for your 17g.

Basically if it appears to be getting pushed to one side all the time or waving like a flag in a storm, it's too much. It just needs a gentle flow, preferably a side to side motion.

Basically if it appears to be getting pushed to one side all the time or waving like a flag in a storm, it's too much. It just needs a gentle flow, preferably a side to side motion.

I moved the Hydor so it goes along side it instead of directly at it. It moves more side to side now. It's wide open and looks better than ever.

Archived