Innovative Marine Aquariums

12 foot high ceiling option

Maniu

Running cables isn't a problem. Finding the light is. I was looking at Kessil or Orphek PR25. $200 is my budget - new or used.

Edit. I know orphek can be plugged in any light fixture and is dimmable so it might be a solution. How about Kessil, how long is its cable and what other issues I might encounter as far as instalation is concerned?

Increase your budget.

Dont hang the Kessil.

Gooseneck it. Problem solved. Or get a NanoBox on a gooseneck.

Its ok to spend money on light. One, its how coral eat. Two, this is an aesthetic hobby, its ok to spend extra money to make something look nice.

cornertanklighting_zps1d0013a6.png

How about that as an option. Think you can get dimmable par38 units. Alternatively make some small arrays. My arrays are on 16x16cm heat sinks. Narrow optics would allow you to have them quite high off the tank and the lamp shades wouldn't interfere.

cornertanklighting_zps1d0013a6.png

How aboutsharingt as an slickon. Think you can get dimmable par38 units. Alternatively make some small arrays. My arrays are on 16x16cm heat sinks. Narrow optics would allow you to have them quite high off the tank and the lamp shades wouldn't interfere.

This setup looks super slick.

Par38 or Kessil was what I was thinking about as an option. I ordered some led light from reputable company and will try to implement it. If it doesn't work, I will probably go with par38 dimmable version.

Thanks for sharing

Increase your budget.

Dont hang the Kessil.

Gooseneck it. Problem solved. Or get a NanoBox on a gooseneck.

Its ok to spend money on light. One, its how coral eat. Two, this is an aesthetic hobby, its ok to spend extra money to make something look nice.

Gooseneck won't work in this case. I have some hand curved artwork right behind this tank. But thank you for recommendation.

You could get the ATI extra long hanging kit from BRS. Use 1 of the wires to hang a Kessil with ease. All it should take is making a little bracket out of a piece of metal to attach the wire to the top of the Kessil. You could use Kessils little hooks but I think making a bracket would look much better.

Build a hand curved mount made of mohagony and maple(or birch for light/dark alternating). Or whatever matches your artwork.

1/4" strips, I think Rockler sells them.

Bunch of harbor freight 6 inch clamps, titebond 3 glue. Glue, clamp, let dry. Sand and finish.

Drill, screw, mount.

Build a hand curved mount made of mohagony and maple(or birch for light/dark alternating). Or whatever matches your artwork.

1/4" strips, I think Rockler sells them.

Bunch of harbor freight 6 inch clamps, titebond 3 glue. Glue, clamp, let dry. Sand and finish.

Drill, screw, mount.

I am pretty handy but that won't work. Wood art piece is directly behind and above aquarium. If I use hanging option, I just might have my cake and eat it too since both will benefit from light source. I just purchased maxspect celestial led and PAR 38 from fellow member. Plan is to use some kind of pull down, vintage pendant light system. It will match my artsy decor and function. Hope it makes sense. Tank is only 12" cube with no filtration other then micro algae, LR and skimmer.

I definitely think a par bulb in a good looking light pendant is your best option here.

Post pics of tank setup please. Mainly curious as to what it looks like.

I definitely think a par bulb in a good looking light pendant is your best option here.

Post pics of tank setup please. Mainly curious as to what it looks like.

I sure will when it is all done. It will be a new home for this guy:

20141202_180546.jpg

20mb image hosting

And the place for the tank is between curtains and below wood canvas. I already sourced out vintage, red, velvet like electric cable for whatever fixture/light I might use. I just don't know how to hang the light so it is least intrusive. ........... if I opt for long wire install, it would be inches from water line. But wall piece won't get any light. If it is hang up high, it will be well over 4 feet from the tank. Question is, can light be still effective from such a distance??????

2014_12_02_18_23_22.jpg

Check out reef radiance. They sell a fully programmable light for $220 right now ($100 off original price). You can choose lenses as well if you do not like their stock layout. Model is DM-165p and DM-165p+ and they come with hanging kit.

With the looks of that room, I doubt that Maniu buys cheap chinese crap LEDs.

His CD player is worth more than two of my cars combined.

But then again, he uses a crappy spammy web host for his image hosting, I could be wrong. /smile

With the looks of that room, I doubt that Maniu buys cheap chinese crap.

So the fact that it is cheap and Chinese makes it bad? The PAR ratings on this light are great and it is full spectrum lighting, fully programmable with phone app. He also said his budget was $200 so I was staying in his price range.

With the looks of that room, I doubt that Maniu buys cheap chinese crap LEDs.

But then again, he uses a crappy spammy web host for his image hosting, I could be wrong. /smile

Music and truthful reproduction of sound is my passion for past 20 years and it did burned significant hole in my packet. But it doesn't mean that I would turn away from great deal or budget product with performance and build quality compatible with big boys of the industry. Everday I am learning something new about reefing from fellow hobbyists just like you guys and I humbly thank you for your input.

I have looked at all of your recommendations guys and I appreciate your feedback. It helps make more educated decisions.

P.S sorry for crappy pics and spamming provider. Did quick pics on the fly and used first choice for web hosting by Google. My bad.

10 or 5 degree optics will allow you to hang the light fitting really high and my understanding of optics is they increase par the narrower you go. The par 38 option would need you to mod the units as I think they're 60 degree standard, but it's only a case of removing the face plate and changing the 20mm 60 degree lenses for which ever ones you calculate would be best and they are only pennies to buy.

At 5 degrees you may well be able to use recessed spot light holders flush with the ceiling and still light the tank well. That would be really cool as there would be no visible light fittings hanging and nothing to gather dust.

10 or 5 degree optics will allow you to hang the light fitting really high and my understanding of optics is they increase par the narrower you go. The par 38 option would need you to mod the units as I think they're 60 degree standard, but it's only a case of removing the face plate and changing the 20mm 60 degree lenses for which ever ones you calculate would be best and they are only pennies to buy.

At 5 degrees you may well be able to use recessed spot light holders flush with the ceiling and still light the tank well. That would be really cool as there would be no visible light fittings hanging and nothing to gather dust.

I really like this idea. Can you steer me in the right direction in outsourcing lenses?

Ledtric "full-spec plus" 18W Par38 w is on its way. I also have maxspect celestial arriving tomorrow. But I don't think Maxspect lenses can be modified.

Don't know what part of the world your in, but I have used sellers here to ship to the UK. 2-3 weeks max with most things, some took a month, but cheap and good quality.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141204212746&SearchText=20mm+led+lens

You can refine that search with by specifying 5-10 degree and exact size of lens. I think most units are the standard 20mm (22m with mounting lip), but once you have your unit apart and can measure the fitted lenses this site will have a seller selling them.

Don't know what part of the world your in, but I have used sellers here to ship to the UK. 2-3 weeks max with most things, some took a month, but cheap and good quality.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141204212746&SearchText=20mm+led+lens'>http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141204212746&SearchText=20mm+led+lens

You can refine that search with by specifying 5-10 degree and exact size of lens. I think most units are the standard 20mm (22m with mounting lip), but once you have your unit apart and can measure the fitted lenses this site will have a seller selling them.

U.S and I am familiar with aliexpress. Gonna measure lens size when lights arrive. At least it is worth a try without breaking a bank. Now I need to find budget PAR meter lol

Yeah I'd love to get my hands on a par meter, find out what my new diy arrays are throwing out. Still finishing off the controller, but adding led wattage together each array is 90w and I have 3 of them, 80 degree optics on the RB, NW and TV and they're bright. Can't wait to get them running and corals under them. I've got them tucked away in a canopy, but if I wasn't in a rented house I'd look at something more creative like the pendants or ceiling recessed for just a glowing tank with no sign of light fixtures.

Yeah I'd love to get my hands on a par meter, find out what my new diy arrays are throwing out. Still finishing off the controller, but adding led wattage together each array is 90w and I have 3 of them, 80 degree optics on the RB, NW and TV and they're bright. Can't wait to get them running and corals under them. I've got them tucked away in a canopy, but if I wasn't in a rented house I'd look at something more creative like the pendants or ceiling recessed for just a glowing tank with no sign of light fixtures.

Sounds very interesting. Share pics when you are ready. The idea of recessed light is neat but I am thinkn of some really cool pendant light or wall mount just above wood canvas. I am still open to suggestions. There are at least few weeks till finalizing on the idea. There are set up options I need to sort out. Mainly, filtration and tank setup.

WP_20141109_003_zps462646d4.jpgWP_20141114_004_zps7ce00c8c.jpgWP_20141114_005_zps8024229e.jpgWP_20141115_002_zps3f70a4df.jpg

Like I'd said these are 16cm square heat sinks so they'll fit in most large shades. The 80 degree optics give a little more than 1.5 feet square of light spread in this 3x2x2 that's perfect for overlap with out wastage. They're suspended maybe 5 inches off what will be the water line. Only just got water and my rock in the other day and haven't had the chance to test all 3 lit over a wet tank, so don't know about shadowing with my chosen scape, however with them suspended on wire I can shift the angle of each array to compensate. This is just one at 100% on everything except true violet as it's not really visible, it'll just bump up my par and pur. The arrays are 12 royal blue, 6 neutral white, 6 430 true violet, 2 ocean coral white and a single 470 blue for moon light on each array. Each array and each colour channel is separate so that's 13 channels including moon light. I'm going to have fun programing storm effects/cloud cover etc as I can fade left to right, right to left, centre out etc all colours and channels independently.

Archived