Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clownfish died can't figure out why, help?

gold_gla55

I currently have a 60 cube with various corals. sps, lps, clam etc. I have had 2 nearly naked clowns in the tank from the start (after my cycle) which has been about 2 months now. I also have a tomini tang, six line wrasse, 2 blood shrimp and 2 anemones. This morning I woke up to find one of the clowns missing and the bloodshrimp picking at him.

I am currently skimmerless

Weekly 15-20% water changes

My temp has been steady between 76-78

Salinity 1.026

I tested my parameters and everything is right where it needs to be

ammonia 0

nitrates 0

nitrites 0

I haven't tested the ph yet

Fish showed no signs of sickness.

Both of my clowns have been hosting the sebae I have however last night I came home to see they were hosting my hammer coral?

I am just trying to figure out what might have caused this.

Thanks!

Apparently Six Line Wrasses are known to become aggressive and sometimes kill fish. Did you notice any difference in behaviour before the fishes death? Or was it that spontaneous?

I unfortunately did not take a picture. Her tail appeared nipped at but could have been from my inverts. Her color appeared normal and she looked healthy up until this. The only behavior change I noticed was when they were trying to host my hammer randomly. I haven't seen the wrasse pick on them at all but then again I'm not always there.

I will try and get a picture. I took her out a little over an hour ago

TheTeenReefer

It appears to be covered in a white parasite (possibly Ich). Do your other fish have the white spots?

The spots could just be salt left behind as the fish began to dry after being removed from tank..

TeenReefer

If the salinity were high enough to leave that much salt residue (chunks) on a dead fish that's been out of the water for only 2 hours then perhaps the salinity of the tank is wayyyy to high? Or maybe the fish was dipped in the dry salt bucket? It definitely looks like Ich or other like parasite.

Archived