Pod Your Reef

help I.D. hitchhikers

rone_kevin66

Got 40 lbs of live rock from tbsaltwater. Went through it to look for bad hitchhikers and removed 7 crabs and 3 snails. I think the is an anemone or cucumber and should I remove it or keep it. The tips are green it's the best shot I could get

post-86183-0-89551800-1416695435_thumb.jpg

post-86183-0-23594100-1416704652_thumb.jpg

post-86183-0-61132000-1416704666_thumb.jpg

Ok will do. I'll burn the shit out of him. I really don't want to use a Chem but I have read good things about Joe's juice

Thanks for everyone's help I'll get him before he spreads

Just because he's an aiptasia relative doesn't mean he's bad, and plus I keep the real aiptasia, they are so easy to remove, wait till they are bigger than cut off the large polyp top, replant it. Then if you so desire to kill it drop salt grains on the pedal disc, works every time. Or just remove all special fish and stop feeding the tank a few weeks they detach to find food. They even go through a sort of moulting cycle where they turn dark and shrivel up and often detach. I've never had any problem moving them, just have Patience

Just because he's an aiptasia relative doesn't mean he's bad, and plus I keep the real aiptasia, they are so easy to remove, wait till they are bigger than cut off the large polyp top, replant it. Then if you so desire to kill it drop salt grains on the pedal disc, works every time. Or just remove all special fish and stop feeding the tank a few weeks they detach to find food. They even go through a sort of moulting cycle where they turn dark and shrivel up and often detach. I've never had any problem moving them, just have Patience

Is it really that easy to cut them off though? As soon as I get near the ones in my tank, they retract into the rock.

You see how your aiptasia hate has affected you, do you see how our bad judgement got a non pest creature most likely destroyed, here OP could have had an awesome specimen

No need to kill it. I never said that. It is a close relative of the aiptasia anemone so it will sting corals, hence it is still a pest.

I have several in my tank but I haven't killed them, just keep them isolated from stuff that I don't want stung.

Archived