Cultivated Reef

does adding a anemone make clowns aggressive?

jamescon85

I have had a pair of percs in my tank for a few weeeks, they are great. I was thinking of adding an anemone for them? Will this change their behaviour or make them aggressive? I have a 34g tank with 2 clowns, royal gramma, scooter blenny, fitefish and a green chromis. In the future I want to add a cardinal and some form of goby or shrimp

I added a Nem to mine a few months ago and my clowns havent even noticed its in there. There is no promise that if you add a Nem, it will host the clowns. Now, if they do decide to take residence in the Nem, they will most likely become protective of it. They could possibly show aggression to things when they get close to the Nem, but I don't think they will start to terrorize the entire tank.

Clowns will get more aggressive as they age and establish their territory. They won't terrorize the whole tank, just chase out whoever comes near their host (which can be anything from a nem to a coral to an empty corner or a magfloat). Also, make sure your tank is well established before adding a nem. Like 6 months and older tanks.

Archived