Pod Your Reef

Opinions on Red Sea Max 130 D

tankcrazed

Hi there,

I'm about to purchase a Red Sea Max 130D with Led light mods in the hood.

What's your opionion on the Aquarium. What should I upgrade if anything?

Would love to hear some opinions.

Thank you!

Eckozulu:

Very nice...hm..only problem would be that all those upgrades would cost me about times more than I'm paying for the whole tank:)

Is the regular skimmer crap?

Sorry..I didn't see the MP10 ..I meant it'd cost me about 10 times as much:)

Why would I need an Mp10 for a small tank like that?

We could never get his prism skimmer to get any skim mate. We also didn't get everything at once. Here is what I would do in order:

1. Heater. I love cobalt neotherms. I've found they stay pretty accurate, even without a controller. Eheims are also pretty good and much cheaper.

2. Intank media basket. Filled with chemipure blue on bottom shelf, filter floss on top and middle.

3. New skimmer. Tunze 9001 or 9002(with intank collection cup.)

4. Ato. I like tunzes, but whatever is cost effective for you.

5. Some kind of power head. Jebaos are pretty cheap and they move a lot of water. The pic taken was with a koralia before we got him a mp10.

6. Upgrade to dual pumps. I like the intank kit, because I'm lazy and like things already done for me. And those eheim pumps are pretty quiet.

7. Adjustable surface skimmer. Just like to control the level of water in the display.

8. You'll need some kind of fan or chiller for summer time. That's when I usaully get a controller, like a RKL. Just so the heater and fan don't compete and evaporation doesn't go crazy from running the fan 24/7.

You might want to think about lights too. I'm an LED junkie.

Sorry, if it seems like a lot. Take ur time and get what you can.

Leave it. The stock tank worked well. I had the older one, but they re did the sump part and took care of most of the upgrades people were doing (better skimmer, media rack etc.)

I found the skimmer to work really well and was always getting awesome brown sludge. (Needed to be real aware of water level and top off)

I even kept the stock T5PC and had great growth (SPS near top) and two 453 nm current USA led strips to supplement a little blue.

Cool..Sounds great.

I'll have it in my bedroom though and I'm a little concerned with the noise levels of the stock skimmer..

Is the 9001 strong enough for the 130d or should I go for the 9002?

Archived