Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Safe way to heat water without heater..

Begow

Right now I have about 30 gallons of water that I need to heat, with a 75w heater. The water will probably be around 40 degrees.

Is there a way to speed the process up? I need the water to be heated relatively quick. My LFS told me I could microwave small portions of it, won't that ill effects?

Any other tricks or tips?

I'm sure if you just got a few gallons boiled up you could mix it in with the chilled water to bring the temp up.

A non reactive pot and your stove?

Microwaves kill.

Buzz

Non Reactive pot? What's that?

Non Reactive pot? What's that?

Stainless steel should be fine on the stove imo but don't quote me on this. And I'm assuming you are trying to heat freshwater to mix? If so there is nothing wrong with microwaving the water.

I wouldn't heat the water on stove or in microwave btw, salinity increase from evap if you heat saltwater mixed, if you heat just the ro then add it to what you have already mixed while its being agitated that would probably be better. IE mix up like 1.026 then dilute it down a touch with hot r/o water.

I've heated water on the stove before using a stainless steel or ceramic (corningware) container. I would heat 1-2 quarts at a time to boiling until you near the desired temp. You can also use several pots on all the burners to get water heated more quickly.

I would say put the bucket of salt water in a large sink or tub filled with hot water which may help, or add every pump you have to the bucket to generate more heat - or BOTH!

I wouldn't directly heat the water any other way though.

Just curious, why do you need to heat up the water quickly? Are you heating up RO/DI water or just want to quickly warm up your tank?

And if you're planning to warm up the tank that quickly, wouldn't that endanger your livestock?

I would say put the bucket of salt water in a large sink or tub filled with hot water which may help, or add every pump you have to the bucket to generate more heat - or BOTH!

I wouldn't directly heat the water any other way though.

The tub is the best way to do it. I had to do some emergency water changes and this heated the water up very quickly, in about 5 minutes (not including the time it took to fill the tub) I heated 15 gallons, just try not to overheat it.

Deleted User 8

I've heated water in a large Pyrex (non-reactive) liquid measuring cup on top of a karosene heater before. I think it was 2qt. Stainless steel pot would work too. Hell, a paper cup on a campfire would work LOL!

If you really want to pretend you are Rube Goldberg, get a pump and a bunch of tubing and run a closed loop into a bathtub full of hot water.

Not sure why you would want to heat water that fast though.

Buzz

Archived