Pod Your Reef

Pico mantis shrimp tank for a newb?

DodgerDave

Hi all!
So I'm the only "reefer" out of my close group of friends. A close buddy of mine told me he was interested in a jellyfish tank. He doesn't want a large tank, more in the pico size he can put on top of his work desk (works from home). After some research, I learned jellyfish is very difficult to maintain and keep alive.
He isn't interested in a fish/coral tank...he wants something that interesting. So that's when I started looking into a pico mantis shrimp tank.

Micro-reefs is having a great sale on a 4.2 gallon pico tank. I was thinking of pitching a mantis shrimp tank to my friend (would be great fun having a fellow friend join in this hobby).

I know for a fact I would have to help out a lot, but I'm fine with that since this hobby is so fun. I was thinking of small mantis shrimp for this 4.2 with some hardy/easy corals (zoas/mushrooms/etc).

Do you guys think this is a good idea?
I'm sure he'd love the idea of a mantis shrimp once I show him a vid of a mantis dominating his prey!

Thanks!

Hi DodgerDave. Definitely a mantis shrimp is a fun animal to take care of. They tend to be really active and interesting to watch. I keep a small one in a 2.5 gallon aquarium.

• 2 weeks later...

If your friend wants to keep a Stomatopod that's great but i hope his reason for wanting one is for much more than "watching it dominate its prey".

Most folks who own them do so because they are highly interactive, intelligent creatures that make wonderful pets and not for the thrill of the kill. In fact i don't at all enjoy watching "Clarence" kill another living being but i provide him with live food because that is what Stomatopods like best. I also provide him with raw shrimp most of the time.

If your friend still wants one, have him read up on them and study their needs so he can provide a good home and frequent human contact for it.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/index.html

Archived