Top Shelf Aquatics

IM NANO FUSION 10 New Build!

R0DD

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all so I was about to go to bed tonight and passed by the tank to find one of the clown fish laying on the bottom breathing heavy with the cleaner shrimp all over him. I took him out but he only lasted 20 min before he stopped breathing. He had white crystals all over him so i suspect Ich. The other clown has some white spots on him but not as bad and he is still very active and hungry. I have never had Ich issues before and the only thing i changed in the last couple days was the chemipure elite and the purigen addition. Tried to take the 2nd clown out with no success. Should i just let it run its coarse? This really sucks... All the corals still seem really happy. Could it have been the phyto i added last week? Idk what to do...

reefernanoman

Hey all so I was about to go to bed tonight and passed by the tank to find one of the clown fish laying on the bottom breathing heavy with the cleaner shrimp all over him. I took him out but he only lasted 20 min before he stopped breathing. He had white crystals all over him so i suspect Ich. The other clown has some white spots on him but not as bad and he is still very active and hungry. I have never had Ich issues before and the only thing i changed in the last couple days was the chemipure elite and the purigen addition. Tried to take the 2nd clown out with no success. Should i just let it run its coarse? This really sucks... All the corals still seem really happy. Could it have been the phyto i added last week? Idk what to do...

Wow sorry for your loss. I have only experienced Ich when I had my 75G SW tank running. I had to take all my fish out, treat them in the quarantine tank, and left them there for a minimum of 90 days(3 months) so that Ich could not survive inside the main display tank. It worked great for me. I think I used copper treatment.

reefernanoman
should i take the shrimp and snails out too? how bout the corals? Don't wanna lose anything else...

I only took the fish out, since Ich seems to affect fish only. I treated the fish with copper in the QUARANTINE tank, since you can't do that in the display tank.

Jeez, aptasia and ich all in one or two days? Sorry to hear.

Once you put copper (ich treatment) in a tank, it's hard to get it back out, and even a little bit will kill your corals and inverts. That's why you do it in the quarantine tank.

I once accidentally got a little copper in my 4g tank. I pulled out all the rocks and inhabitants, rinsed out the tank, replaced all the sand, and used heavy carbon. Amazingly, everything that hadn't already died immediately looked great after going back in.

Soooo Update!

Looks like I'm in the clear for ICH, went to the LFS and told him about all the issues and he said it was most likely a parasite. The other clown is doing just fine with now signs of any parasite or ich. He's eating and swimming strong. Hopefully whatever it wasn't doesn't poke its ugly head out again.......He also said i put in WAY TOO MUCH phyto. I don't have a skimmer so it was an issue and went through another bloom. Everything looks ok now, all corals are fully open and water is crystal clear.

I'd wait at least a couple weeks to make sure it doesn't come back. Ich is a parasite, btw, so I'm not sure what the LFS meant when he said your problem was a parasite. Did he mean some kind of parasite other than Ich?

No Idea lol, he gives me free R/O water as long as i pour it myself which is pretty cool. He also gave me a huge bag of carbon for free! What do you think about putting it in the center empty chamber? That way I'm running filter floss, perigean, chemipure and carbon. Is that overkill?

I cant remember if you have a skimmer or not. The carbon and the skimmer sort of overlap in the cleaning duties of sucking up dissolved organics from your water. If no skimmer, I say sure toss it in. If you already have a skimmer I would let that take care of it instead.

Then sure, toss that bad boy in there. I was originally thinking of a skimmer too. Now, I am sort of on the fence about one too. Weird question: When you switched over to your MJ1200, was your stock pump still suckered down to the bottom of the rear chamber? Mine is and my hand is too fat to fit down in it and pry it up and off from the bottom of the first chamber for when I upgrade my pump in the near future. How did you manage to do it?

I haven't upgraded yet however, I did take out the stock pump a few weeks ago to make sure it was on full blast. It wasn't hard to take out I just pulled it off. I just ordered an mj900 that should be here wed.

Sweet, the 900 was what I was leaning towards as well. I was worried about breaking something since the tube connecting the pump to the return nozzle is extra rigid/pulled taut, almost to the point of the tube being too short when the pump is suctioned down so I was worried about breaking either the pump or the return tubing or even the return nozzle trying to yank the sucker out of there. I hope to knock the stand together tomorrow and then I will finally have a space to start setting it up and do a look over and start a final mental parts list for this bad boy and I can fiddle with the pump then.

Cool, I honestly don't even think i re-suctioned it back down to the bottom completely lol I didn't think it would make a difference. Also as teenyreef suggested, I took the little fan looking return nozzle off until i get my new stronger pump. That nozzle really did restrict a lot of flow. Pic is a little fuzzy as I just completed a water change like 3 min ago lol

post-86406-0-43398200-1418522823_thumb.jpg

Cool, I honestly don't even think i re-suctioned it back down to the bottom completely lol I didn't think it would make a difference. Also as teenyreef suggested, I took the little fan looking return nozzle off until i get my new stronger pump. That nozzle really did restrict a lot of flow. Pic is a little fuzzy as I just completed a water change like 3 min ago lol

I did the exact same thing with mine too, not even 30 seconds into the unboxing. That black ring that was holding it on was cracked so it was loose anyway. I am going to pick up a Spinstream at my LFS sometime since they have them there a hell of a lot cheaper than online ($22 LFS vs $31+ online) and with the MJ900 hooked up I should have plenty of random flow going on to keep it clean in there. That saves me from hanging a big powerhead on the inside of the scape which is a BIG plus in my book. If I decide to keep high flow corals later I can always pick up an MP10 at that time but for now its all about dipping my toes back into the SW community and re-learning everything again. B)

I did the exact same thing with mine too, not even 30 seconds into the unboxing. That black ring that was holding it on was cracked so it was loose anyway. I am going to pick up a Spinstream at my LFS sometime since they have them there a hell of a lot cheaper than online ($22 LFS vs $31+ online) and with the MJ900 hooked up I should have plenty of random flow going on to keep it clean in there. That saves me from hanging a big powerhead on the inside of the scape which is a BIG plus in my book. If I decide to keep high flow corals later I can always pick up an MP10 at that time but for now its all about dipping my toes back into the SW community and re-learning everything again. B)

Good plan! It's funny, my black ring thing was cracked too. I removed it anyway under the theory that it wasn't adding any value and it might be restricting the flow. I like the look better with just the clear plastic showing in the tank. :)

Good plan! It's funny, my black ring thing was cracked too. I removed it anyway under the theory that it wasn't adding any value and it might be restricting the flow. I like the look better with just the clear plastic showing in the tank. :)

I'm glad it wasn't just me then. I was worried I had broken it somehow just by fiddling with it when I saw it. I didn't know they had the angled return nozzle included in it so I immediately had to go a fiddlin' with it. ;)

I had the spin stream in there before but the only issue I had was that it didn't break the surface of the water consistently like I would like it to, unless maybe I put I splitter in there?

I had the spin stream in there before but the only issue I had was that it didn't break the surface of the water consistently like I would like it to, unless maybe I put I splitter in there?

That isn't a super deal breaker for me. I think the added flow of that MJ900 will get the surface water moving more than now too so I think it might work out. Tell you what, if I happen to beat you to the MJ900/Spinstream combo I will give you a review so you can decide if you want to change anything. B)

Archived