Coral Vue Hydros

T5 configuration for color pop

charliethezero

charliethezero

I have a 4 bulb system that came with two 10,000 and two actinic. I've changed out the two 10000 with an aquablue and a blue plus and plan on changing the actinic ones too, I just don't know what with. My husband wants more pop with the colors, is there a good combo for that or should I look into leds?

I just got mine and I'm planning on using 3x ATI Blue+ and one ATI Actinic. the color is very blue and has a lot of coral pop, I would have a picture if it was hung over the tank but it's not yet. :(

The Aquablue will also give you a lot of white I believe, so if you still don't have enough blue/pop then maybe consider something along the lines of 1x Purple+, 2x Blue+, 1x Actinic (if using ATI). I don't like purple very much so I went with 3 blue+.

jedimasterben

For four bulbs wanting maximum fluorescence without completely drowning out all non-fluorescent colors like Halo_003's combination does, use three ATI Blue Plus and one ATI Coral Plus or three Giesemann Actinic Blue and one Aquablue Coral.

Stay away from the ATI Aquablue Special, they are garbage bulbs compared to the Coral Plus.

If you want a white light with a blue tone, use a 1:1 ratio of the above bulbs instead of 3:1.

For four bulbs wanting maximum fluorescence without completely drowning out all non-fluorescent colors like Halo_003's combination does, use three ATI Blue Plus and one ATI Coral Plus or three Giesemann Actinic Blue and one Aquablue Coral.

Stay away from the ATI Aquablue Special, they are garbage bulbs compared to the Coral Plus.

If you want a white light with a blue tone, use a 1:1 ratio of the above bulbs instead of 3:1.

:S

Does this mean I should add a Coral+ instead of one of the blues? I admit I haven't actually tried it over the tank yet as it's still not hung.

jedimasterben

Unless you like only green fluorescent corals, not seeing a lot of colors of any fish, coralline algae, invertebrates, etc, I would :lol:

For reference, here are a couple pics from my tank. I run a 6 bulb fixture with 3 Blue+, 1 coral+, and 2 true actinic. With the 3 blue+ and 1 coral+, you really don't notice the 2 actinics to the eye much, so it should be a good example if you are considering 3blue+/1coral+.

https://flic.kr/p/p5wigj'>15147383084_ff17d670b9_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/p5wigj'>IMG_5242 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/p5z64X'>15147927393_0fe3b544dc_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/p5z64X'>IMG_5207 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

SouthFlorida_Tron

It will be like 18k. Same "pop" you would get from any of the combos.

I got similar pop with 3 and 1, 2 and 2, etc...

I haven't tried it but actinic should provide the pop to expect from royal blue leds

^ He has another one on popular bulb combinations, which is awesome.

I think I'll pick up a Coral+ at some point then so my tank isn't washed out lol. Thanks Jedi.

wow.such.chris

How do you all feel about ati purple+?

Ive been running 1x coral+, 2x blue+, 1x purple+ for a while and like it. Probably not the crazy pop you're looking for but I like the look, just not sure if the purple is really worth it.

Sorry, Not trying to hijack...

I run a 6 bulb fixture with 3 Blue+, 1 coral+, and 2 true actinic. With the 3 blue+ and 1 coral+, you really don't notice the 2 actinics to the eye much, so it should be a good example if you are considering 3blue+/1coral+.

Do you know how much PAR you are getting with that combo?

jedimasterben

How do you all feel about ati purple+?

Ive been running 1x coral+, 2x blue+, 1x purple+ for a while and like it. Probably not the crazy pop you're looking for but I like the look, just not sure if the purple is really worth it.

Sorry, Not trying to hijack...

Define 'worth it'. Do you like your color combo as it is? If so, leave it be :)
NorthGaHillbilly

I'm a fan of the purple plus, I run a 6 bulb, three blue+ and a purple plus on one ballast. One blue+ and a geissleman actinic on the other. I have some ati actinic as well, but prefer the color of the geissleman

I'm also a fan of the purple plus. I have 3 blue+ and 3 coral+ at the moment to do a PAR test and I really miss the reds. I usually run 3 blue+, 2 coral+, and 1 purple+. I am also a fan of more white and I own a single AquaBlue Special, which I think has a place but only as a single bulb in at least a 6 bulb fixture, otherwise it overwhelms all the other bulbs.

For real POP you will want to supplement the T5's with some LED's, usually a strip of blue will do it. IMO

It will be like 18k. Same "pop" you would get from any of the combos.

I got similar pop with 3 and 1, 2 and 2, etc...

I haven't tried it but actinic should provide the pop to expect from royal blue leds

The actinic def will not give you the pop that you get out of RB LEDs. I was hoping it would, but I am not starting to design a retrofit to add some blue LEDs cause I just miss the pop that my coral had during ramp up/down when they were under the Nanobox.

Do you know how much PAR you are getting with that combo?

Honestly, I do not. Probably more than I want. This is the other reason I added the 2 actinics, to hopefully somewhat reduce the PAR a bit. I should probably be running a 4 bulb unit, but got a killer deal on the 6 bulb used so it is what it is. I am running a short photoperiod because of this, but will hopefully be fixing that soon by dropping 2 bulbs and adding a custom strip of leds for a 3 hour ramp up/down and killer pop!

I'm a fan of the purple plus, I run a 6 bulb, three blue+ and a purple plus on one ballast. One blue+ and a geissleman actinic on the other. I have some ati actinic as well, but prefer the color of the geissleman

I may give this a shot until I do the retro. Sounds like it is a good combo. I think I have a purple+ laying around somewhere.

I'm also a fan of the purple plus. I have 3 blue+ and 3 coral+ at the moment to do a PAR test and I really miss the reds. I usually run 3 blue+, 2 coral+, and 1 purple+. I am also a fan of more white and I own a single AquaBlue Special, which I think has a place but only as a single bulb in at least a 6 bulb fixture, otherwise it overwhelms all the other bulbs.

For real POP you will want to supplement the T5's with some LED's, usually a strip of blue will do it. IMO

Exactly what I am thinking!

Archived