SaltCritters.com

Subpar LFS RO or Walmart Distilled

itsyahboydanny

itsyahboydanny

What would you use? I can either get "ok" ro from my lfs that is definitely measurable with the tds meter, or I can use Walmart distilled. My tank is only 5g so price is not an factor.

For handling the water change/top-off needs of a 5 gallon tank? (I assume from your signature) Distilled over LFS mud-water any day of the week. Purple top jugs (Walmart's "house" brand distilled) are available for about a buck or less depending on the particular store.

-to masterbuilder: I've been running my tank off the DI option from the local Whole Foods water machine for almost a year now... unlike most I've seen this one is serviced every week and the water routinely tests 0 tds (on a pocket tester). Your point's valid - many of the grocery store units are not cared for as well, but any other gotchas other than the need to test before use? Not that the price difference is THAT much (.38 vs .99) on a 9 gallon tank, but it is so darn convenient.

I used walmart distilled (purple top) exclusively last semester for my 10G at $.69/gallon. Bit more expensive than LFS RODI but I knew it was clean at least.

masterbuilder

Is zephyrhills just as good? my walmart never has distilled just spring

NO. Distilled only. Check your local grocery its probably a dime or two more.

itsyahboydanny

NO. Distilled only. Check your local grocery its probably a dime or two more.

Its zephyrhills distilled, is that the same as walmart distilled?

masterbuilder

Its zephyrhills distilled, is that the same as walmart distilled?

I thought you meant "Zehp spring water" which is not distilled. I must have misunderstood. Any distilled brand will do.

itsyahboydanny

I thought you meant "Zehp spring water" which is not distilled. I must have misunderstood. Any distilled brand will do.

I used walmart distilled (purple top) exclusively last semester for my 10G at $.69/gallon. Bit more expensive than LFS RODI but I knew it was clean at least.

For handling the water change/top-off needs of a 5 gallon tank? (I assume from your signature) Distilled over LFS mud-water any day of the week. Purple top jugs (Walmart's "house" brand distilled) are available for about a buck or less depending on the particular store.

-to masterbuilder: I've been running my tank off the DI option from the local Whole Foods water machine for almost a year now... unlike most I've seen this one is serviced every week and the water routinely tests 0 tds (on a pocket tester). Your point's valid - many of the grocery store units are not cared for as well, but any other gotchas other than the need to test before use? Not that the price difference is THAT much (.38 vs .99) on a 9 gallon tank, but it is so darn convenient.

I use walmart distilled it's very good. If you have any reason to doubt your LFS water do not use it.

Walmart bottled distilled has my vote. NOT...the stuff out of Walmart or grocery store machines.

Thanks guys!

NorthGaHillbilly

Would it be possible to mix a good salt like reef crystals in a gallon jug just by shaking it for a while?

possible I suppose, but id go get a bucket from HD and throw a powerhead in there

*Tho your biceps might improve from shakin that jug

Shake-Weight.jpg

itsyahboydanny

possible I suppose, but id go get a bucket from HD and throw a powerhead in there

lmao reminds me of that south park episode :wacko: well my water changes take about a solid 3 minutes and I was trying not to ruin a good thing lol, I usually buy premixed from my lfs but their ro is questionable

NorthGaHillbilly

lmao reminds me of that south park episode :wacko: well my water changes take about a solid 3 minutes and I was trying not to ruin a good thing lol, I usually buy premixed from my lfs but their ro is questionable

I always wait atleast 30 min to let my salt mix, but I know different salts have different requirements

Would it be possible to mix a good salt like reef crystals in a gallon jug just by shaking it for a while?

This is how I've been mixing up my twice-a-week changes for the last year. Dump in salt, shake till clear, let sit until ready to use later that day/evening.

I do a few more shake sessions of about 30 seconds each prior to use. For every salt to might not do it, but I've never had issues with reef crystals not completely dissolving via this method.

Archived