Top Shelf Aquatics

What's the slowest cycle you've ever had?

DriftingNemo

So it's been about a week since I started cycling my 63 gallon tank by using a dead piece of fish, a piece of live rock and a bottle of API StressZyme+ and my Nitrite and Nitrate have already started spiking. This is my second time cycling a saltwater tank. The first time was this time last year when I was setting up my 14 gallon which took about 2 months to cycle. So here's my question, what's the slowest and quickest nitrogen cycle you guys and girls have had to endure?

So it's been about a week since I started cycling my 63 gallon tank by using a dead piece of fish, a piece of live rock and a bottle of API StressZyme+ and my Nitrite and Nitrate have already started spiking. This is my second time cycling a saltwater tank. The first time was this time last year when I was setting up my 14 gallon which took about 2 months to cycle. So here's my question, what's the slowest and quickest nitrogen cycle you guys and girls have had to endure?

The one I am having now. I am pre-curing dry rock so it is ready for my Tank 1 -> Tank 2 transfer. I need more rock for Tank 2. I used Dr. Tim's fish less. The cycle has been going for more than 30 days and the Nitrite level still hasn't dipped so I can ensure that the tank can properly cycle ammonia and Nitrite. I figured I would be able to do a 30-day purple up but not even close. I need the rock ready to go in 2 weeks and worried I won't even make that deadline.

My current cycle as well... Added about 5ppm of Ammonium Chloride a week back and now have 0.5ppm of Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates... WTF. Where'd my ammonia go?!

Tried 2 different test kits and got the same results. Okay maybe not 'slowest cycle' but a strange one :blink:

So from what I've gathered, some of you were lucky enough to cycle your tanks in under a week and others were less fortunate and have to wait over 4 weeks. I predict my cycle to go on for another 2 weeks. I definitely want to add at least 1 fish before Christmas since the tank takes up Chrisrmas tree space in the living room! But in my opinion, a reef tank looks better than a stupid tree with lights ;)

I was at about 7 weeks for the first tank I cycled, my 2nd was was a good bit faster. (probably because I used biomedia from the first tank to jump start it)

I was at about 7 weeks for the first tank I cycled, my 2nd was was a good bit faster. (probably because I used biomedia from the first tank to jump start it)

7 weeks... I felt the same pain last year lol. I guess you started off with dry everything.

My current cycle as well... Added about 5ppm of Ammonium Chloride a week back and now have 0.5ppm of Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and 0 Nitrates... WTF. Where'd my ammonia go?!

Tried 2 different test kits and got the same results. Okay maybe not 'slowest cycle' but a strange one :blink:

Wait, you have a new build?!

Wait, you have a new build?!

Yea, no thread yet though. I'm holding off as i'm still waiting for my light, and I know how impatient ya'll get :P

Soon... :ninja:

Archived