Top Shelf Aquatics

first time water testing

lefty99

So I just tested my waters for the first time. Ph is 8 maybe 8.2 ammonia looks to be .25ppm or .50ppm to close to tell. Nitrite and nitrate are both at 0ppm. Is this normal so far?

Sound right to me. When you get 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and you show some nitrates your cycle has completed and you can start adding livestock. Just make sure you don't add too much at one time because it will cause another cycle if you do.

Would it be ok for me to add live rock later on after the cycle or would it be better to just add dry rock after a full cycle to not create another ammonia break out

You should already have your rock in the tank. You can always add more at a future date but you should have at least 0.5lbs per gallon right now to establish a bio-filter.

I have about 15# of live rocks and 20# of live sand in there already but my question is when I do add more rock should I add more live rocks or can I just add dry rocks

I have about 15# of live rocks and 20# of live sand in there already but my question is when I do add more rock should I add more live rocks or can I just add dry rocks

What is your water volume? And yes its ok to add dry rock whenever you want.

You should have enough for now. But feel free to add more whenever you would like. It would be better to add it now while the tank is cycling so bacteria can start to grow on the rock.

Archived