Pod Your Reef

Petco bought Dr. Foster and Smith...

ninjamyst

I'm not sure how long it will stay it's own unit. I can't think of many examples where an acquired company was allowed to operate autonomously long term, especially when they compete in the same field as the parent company. It sometimes works, but the advertising isn't cheap especially when you compete against yourself. With that being said, they may plan to make DFS their primary online presence and Petco their retail presence as to not overly cannibalize overlapping customer bases.

Companies compete with themselves all the time especially in retail/ sales. Wal-mart and Sams club. GMC, Chevy, and Buick, Lexus and toyota, just to name a couple of MANY.... it allows them to look seperate while being a larger unit and sucking up more of the market share for the parent company.... nothing new. Converting LA over to Petco would do nothing in SW but destroy their image even further.

Do you work for petco or dr foster/smith?

Nope, but I know quite a bit about business, owning, buying and sellin ;)

Just got my dr foster smith mag in mail...errr I mean now it's called Pet Solutions

Sure it was DFS? I've never recieved a DFS mag before.... Marine depot but not DFS, and recieved my "PetSolutions" mag yesterday. And its mailed out of Ohio.... Petsolutions appears to be privately owned http://www.petsolutions.com/Content/About-Us.aspx and not affiliated with Petco...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doesn't sound like it.

There are many large companies who keep acquisitions completely separate. Most people don't even realize they're owned by a different company, which sounds like you might be missing.

Doesn't sound like it.

There are many large companies who keep acquisitions completely separate. Most people don't even realize they're owned by a different company, which sounds like you might be missing.

I never said they were going to merge them into one business/ business name. IMO they would be completely stupid to do so... you may want to go back and do some rereading cuz your apparently missing something yourself ;)

The old DFS squad (if they don't break it up...) would still have to respond to Petco tho as I am sure Petco will hire new higher ups considering its not likely the Drs. sold out to become someones employee ;)

I never said they were going to merge them into one business... you may want to go back and do some rereading cuz your apparently missing something yourself ;)

You said petco will be running the show and making all decisions. Essentially one business.

Like I said, there are ton of large companies who act totally independent from one another, but are still owned by a parent company.

You said petco will be running the show and making all decisions. Essentially one business.

Like I said, there are ton of large companies who act totally independent from one another, but are still owned by a parent company.

So you think they won't have to report to Petco/ its advisers at all?? LOL Hell I highly doubt the Drs will be staying on as upper management so who do you think will run the show, someone just going to magically appear in the position?

darden group would be a good example of that. although I guess we will have to see if petco takes the route of multiple seperate business models.

Also, taylormade adidas group, although I am not sure how that model works.

So you think they won't have to report to Petco/ its advisers at all?? LOL Hell I highly doubt the Drs will be staying on as upper management so who do you think will run the show, someone just going to magically appear in the position?

I work for a company who acquires billion dollar companies and they run independently. Crazy!

They make their own business decisions

darden group would be a good example of that. although I guess we will have to see if petco takes the route of multiple seperate business models. Also, taylormade adidas group, although I am not sure how that model works.

My friend works for Adidas group. They're all independent.

I work for a company who acquires billion dollar companies and they run independently. Crazy!

They make their own business decisions

And if they make a bad decision they don't hear from the parent company? On the surface I am sure they are independant, but in reality they still have to report to the parent company....

My friend works for Adidas group. They're all independent.

So the highest guy at Adidas doesn't report to the parent company at all, and fell into the job wasn't placed there by the parent group/ its advisers because he fit their vision to run things the way they want it ran???.... Simply put everyone is someones bitch unless you're your own bitch. If you work for someone else, or are owned by someone else you are their bitch regardless of how it looks ;)

You're nitpicking.

An acquired company can run at 99% independent compared to you stating an entire take over is the only option.

No your acting like they will be completely independent and acting like I said it was going to be some hostile take over (which I certainly never said). Orders still come from the top, and the parent company is still in control and running the show behind the scenes.

That 1% at the very top ultimately controls every decision in the company through the hiring (or retaining) process ;)

The company I work at was bought out by an investment firm. While they claim nothing will change, things do change. We have a new board the CEO has to report to. The board do make suggestions for our long term strategy. At the end of the day, DFS will have to report to Petco at some point. Their decision making will be impacted. To say there's 0% impact is very unlikely.

No your acting like they will be completely independent and acting like I said it was going to be some hostile take over (which I certainly never said). Orders still come from the top, and the parent company is still in control and running the show behind the scenes.

That 1% at the very top ultimately controls every decision in the company through the hiring (or retaining) process ;)

Idk. We each decide on our own head counts.

And a hostile takeover is when the parent company takes complete control, which you think will happen.

Idk. We each decide on our own head counts. And a hostile takeover is when the patent company takes complete control, which you think will happen.

ehh.. not really..

a hostile takeover is when Company A buys controlling interest in Company B when Company B doesn't want it to happen and basically has no way of stopping it..

nothing hostile here, dfs was up for sale.. what I've seen Chris describing is a basic parent/subsidiary relationship..

not that I agree with every point of chris's, eg I think it's quite possible petco will try to figure out what dfs is doing right that it's grown so rapidly and gained such a large market share.. not all businesses are 100% about reducing cost and streamlining, that's not always the answer for a winning business imo..

Hostile in terms of all of dfs. The child won't have any say. Owners sold to retire while rest if the company will be completely taken over without say.

...possibly

Hostile in terms of all of dfs. The child won't have any say. Owners sold to retire while rest if the company will be completely taken over without say. ...possibly

that doesn't make it a hostile takeover, the term "hostile takeover" has a specific meaning in the business world..

ehh.. not really..

a hostile takeover is when Company A buys controlling interest in Company B when Company B doesn't want it to happen and basically has no way of stopping it..

nothing hostile here, dfs was up for sale.. what I've seen Chris describing is a basic parent/subsidiary relationship..

Damn, I thought a hostile take over was when terrorist come in and chop off the leaders head, and of course televise it. :lol:

that doesn't make it a hostile takeover, the term "hostile takeover" has a specific meaning in the business world..

Just because a company is for sale, doesn't always mean it is a clean acquisition.

We don't have any details.

Damn, I thought a hostile take over was when terrorist come in and chop off the leaders head, and of course televise it. :lol:

I think that might qualify as well..

Hostile in terms of all of dfs. The child won't have any say. Owners sold to retire while rest if the company will be completely taken over without say. ...possibly

Sure if you want to play that as being hostile, but if thats the case I play the... business was for sale if you didn't want to be taken over by someone else shoulda bought it yourself card then :)

Just because a company is for sale, doesn't always mean it is a clean acquisition.

So you think Petco is buyin DFS with drug money? LOL

Seriously, because an employee might not agree doesn't make it a bad transaction or hostile take over, I'm sorry. DFS was for sale, Petco made them an offer and it looks like they have come to an agreement, if DFS agrees and sells to Petco its pretty cut and dry. While sure I bet Petco low balled em and they danced around a little, they obviously are going to come to suitable terms for both sides otherwise there wouldn't be an agreement or sale ;)

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/petco-acquire-online-pet-product-205500547.html

"Petco today announced it has entered into an agreement to acquire Drs. Foster and Smith"

"At our founding, our intent with Drs. Foster and Smith was to provide pet owners with veterinary advice and quality pet supplies at affordable prices," said Race Foster, DVM, and Co-Founder of Drs. Foster and Smith. "We believe Petco shares those same values, and we look forward to building on our original mission."

this wasn't a hostile takeover, period..

besides, AFAIK, DFS wasn't publicly traded, which means it can't be just taken over any more than any other privately owned business.

Archived