Cultivated Reef

NanoreefNate's DSA 35G Massive Pic Update May 21st!

nanoreefnate

Hi everyone. Some of you may have followed my 20G peninsula that was running for two years. That tank has now become a quarantine tank and this DSA 35G frag tank took it's place as the display aquarium. This tank has been running at the time of this post for a little over two months. Most of the livestock and rock are from the 20G with a few additions. Anyways, here's the current FTS.

Current Full Tank Shot May 6th 2015

17295417626_53645d9dc3_c.jpg

FTS March 24th 2015

16303070873_721bd7c474_c.jpg

FTS December 23rd 201415905074417_f9dd9f2ac8_c.jpg

FTS December 1st 201415740465628_be54e4e0b4_c.jpg

FTS November 17th 2014

15819229525_3b402330e2_c.jpg

Livestock

Fish

2 Assessor randalli Randalls Assessors

1 Serranocirrhitus latus Sunburst Anthias

1 Nemateleotris helfrichi Helfrichi Firefish

1 Paracheilinus mccoskeri McCosker Wrasse

3 Zoramia leptacantha Blue Eye Cardinal

1 Synchiropus splendidus Green Mandarin Dragonette

Corals

SPS Coral

Acropora carduus Red Dragon

Acropora tortuosa Miyagi

Acropora prostrata ATL Joleen's Red Table

Acropora millepora ORA Red Planet

Acropora turaki ORA Hawkins "Echinata"

Acropora tortuosa ORA California

Acropora tenuis ORA Borealis

Acropora valida Tricolor

Acropora pulchra Teal Staghorn

Acropora tortuosa Solomon Island

Acropora yongei Bali Green Slimer

Acropora yongei Blue Tip Green Slimer

Seriatopora hystrix Ponape

Pocillopora damicornis Green

Pocillopora damicornis Purple Yellow

Montipora capricornis Tyree Blue Polyp

Montipora sentosa Tyree

Montipora capricornis Idaho Grape

Montipora danae Andre's Blue Polyp

LPS Coral

9 Acanthastrea lordhowensis colonies

1 Scolymia australis Bleeding Apple

1 Fungia repanda Sunset

1 Leptoseris mycetoseroides JF Jack-O-Lantern

1 Euphyllia divisa Frogspawn

1 Favites pentagona War Coral

NPS Coral

Dendrophyllia fistula Dendro

Soft Coral

Zoanthidae sp. Blue Hornet

Zoanthidae sp. Red Hornet

Zoanthidae sp. Tyree Tubbs Blue

Zoanthidae sp. ATL Fire Ice

Zoanthidae sp. Rastas

Zoanthidae sp. Fruit Loops

1 Ricordea florida Blue/Orange

1 Ricordea florida Light Blue/Green

Xenia sp. Pom Pom Pulsing

Inverts

1 Entacmaea quadricolor Speckled Rose Bubble Tip Anemone

Numerous Stichodactyla tapetum Red Mini Carpet Anemones

1 Cultured Tridacna maxima Clam

1 Cultured Tridacna crocea Clam

10 Monetaria annulus Money Cowries

16 Trochus sp. Banded Trochus Snails

5 Nassarius distortus Snails

Numerous Mysis sp. Mysid Shrimp

Marine Algae/Plants

5 Thalassia testudinum Turtle Grass propagules

1 Halymenia sp.Dragon's Breath clump

1 Titanophora sp. Red Titan Clump

1 Chaetomorpha sp. Clump

Equipment

24L x 24W x 15H DSA 35G Frag Tank

DSA Stock Black Stand

DSA 12G Sump

AGA 10G independent refugium

Sicce 2.0 Return Pump

2 Ecotech Vortech MP10 ES

1 Kessil A360WE Tuna Blue LED light

1 Tunze 9002 Protein Skimmer

1 Cobalt Aquatics Neo-Therm 100w heater

1 Bubble Magus BT-01 Dosing Pump

2 60w 5000K LED Utilitech light bulbs (refugium)

1 Koralia Nano (refugium)

Directory

Photos of the sump and refugium

Photos of the refugium cover structure

Crocea Clam added

McCoskery and Cover added

Refugium Update

May 21st 2015 Macro Photo Update

Here's a few of the progress photos.

August 29th brought the tank home

15799874446_3ea3593bb8_c.jpg

September 8th Filled with Saltwater

15799874256_c3bbe99e55_c.jpg

September 15th rock and sand added (cycle started) , September 17th light added

15633403579_3b7cb38a42_c.jpg

October 7th first coral added

15199261134_3d55abb66b_c.jpg

October 15th all coral and rock transferred from the 20G

15795555096_c997cf04e0_z.jpg

October 20th Corals all acclimated and happy

15199787123_48882a8524_c.jpg

November 4th Mr. Helfrichi is out!

15820783712_7e7bd77de1_c.jpg

November 17th The Current FTS as of this post. Can you spot the new additions?

15819229525_3b402330e2_c.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Nate. I miss the old tank, but looking forward to what you can do with this one. :)

When I click on the images Flickr says they are private.

TOTM forsure

What is the dims? Any pics of the sump?

Haha thanks Spider! It's 24x24x15 but Internal is 23x23x14 which makes it more like 30G

Also, I do have pics of my sump. will be posting them later.

Wow Nate. I miss the old tank, but looking forward to what you can do with this one. :)

When I click on the images Flickr says they are private.

Thanks Mark! I do too but it was time to upgrade :P

Yeah I do that because I don't want my more "professional" work on Flickr to be mixed with my amateur hour iPhone5s Pics of my tank ;)

Hot damn,I LOVE the new tank. That scape,light,coral placement everything.. It's so much win man :eek:. I still cannot believe your Acan collection,so many nice pieces. Did you get them locally or online place ?

Hot damn,I LOVE the new tank. That scape,light,coral placement everything.. It's so much win man :eek:. I still cannot believe your Acan collection,so many nice pieces. Did you get them locally or online place ?

Haha Thank you so much Reefkid! You're too kind. Most of it is local to California… actually all of it is. The one I'm most proud of is the second colony in from the left. I picked up that Acan from Sea Dwelling Creatures as a green acan for a shop I was working for and it morphed into that bright orange with green accents and mouths! :P

Just giving credit where it's due man. That's crazy. Looks like you lucked out. I loved the way your Acans looked in the 20. You had halides then right ?

I can't wait to see what mine morph into when I get my 7 gallon set up and T5's over it.

So here's a few pics of the sump that some of you were asking for! Basically the drain line forks into either the main sump or the refugium. The refugium receives about 1/3 the flow of the main sump which is controlled by a ball valve to reduce bubbles in the fuge. The fuge then drains into the middle chamber of the sump which also houses my Tunze 9002 protein skimmer. It then passes through sponges to diffuse micro bubbles. Finally it gets heated by my Cobalt Aquatics 100w heater and is then returned to the display by a Sicce 2.5.

The Main Sump

15211492483_889df9df8c_c.jpg

Drain "chamber"

15210965724_8ff355587c_c.jpg

Deep Mud Bed section capped with fine sand for my Turtle Grass

15646160550_e3f251e156_c.jpg

Just giving credit where it's due man. That's crazy. Looks like you lucked out. I loved the way your Acans looked in the 20. You had halides then right ?

I can't wait to see what mine morph into when I get my 7 gallon set up and T5's over it.

I did come across some very lucky finds while browsing aquarium shops down in SoCal.

In the 20G They were actually lit by a Kessil 150 Sky Blue.

T5's are pretty good when it comes to color!

Nice work on the upgrade!

So how's the drain "chamber" and the turtle grass section work? Is it a whole separate tank or a part of the sump you don't see from the front?

Nice work on the upgrade!

So how's the drain "chamber" and the turtle grass section work? Is it a whole separate tank or a part of the sump you don't see from the front?

Thank you Justin! The Drain "chamber" is actually what I consider to be the "front" of the fuge. I was just having issues with the chaeto getting into the drain so I decided to place a piece of acrylic sheet there to stop the chaeto from growing into that area. Thus I have a faux "chamber" since it's not siliconed in or anything. Another improvement it brought to the fuge was forcing flow to go through the rocks underneath that faux baffle which I was also having trouble with.

Thank you Justin! The Drain "chamber" is actually what I consider to be the "front" of the fuge. I was just having issues with the chaeto getting into the drain so I decided to place a piece of acrylic sheet there to stop the chaeto from growing into that area. Thus I have a faux "chamber" since it's not siliconed in or anything. Another improvement it brought to the fuge was forcing flow to go through the rocks underneath that faux baffle which I was also having trouble with.

Oh gotcha, I get it now. It's behind the stand then; directly in back of the sump? I was mostly wondering where it was under there.

Nice idea with the baffle. I hate when pieces of chaeto start working their way through the system.

Oh gotcha, I get it now. It's behind the stand then; directly in back of the sump? I was mostly wondering where it was under there.

Nice idea with the baffle. I hate when pieces of chaeto start working their way through the system.

Yeah the refugium tank is directly behind the sump, behind the stand too. I had to come up with a way of hiding it for a party recently and what I came up with was using tension rods to hold up the "roof" of the structure as well as support the top of the foam boards that I cut to size. Here's what the finished product looked like and I was quite please with the outcome. Not only does it cover the refugium but it also keeps the light in at night. The amount of light that was spilling from the sides of the fuge was really annoying me. haha.

15217033633_ee63d86e1a_c.jpg

15216480084_16b51ce882_c.jpg

15650650279_842ebcf4a9_c.jpg

15836453625_86a2e8d596_c.jpg

Help me chose the final fish for my tank guys! The contenders are...

1) Fancy Snowflake Clownfish who is very territorial and bullies the mandarins

2) Blue Eye'd Cardinal that's very shy and only eats mysis

3) McCosker's Wrasse that has yet to be purchased

4) Bangaii Cardinal who is a garbage collector. He eats like crazy!

All input is appreciated! :D

3) McCosker's Wrasse that has yet to be purchased

4) Bangaii Cardinal who is a garbage collector. He eats like crazy!

I'd go with one of those two. Clowns are jerks and I agree with Reefkid, they are overrated. The Blue eyed cardinal might get bullied by your Chromis or assessors. I think the personalities of the wrasse or bangaii would fit best.

I say Cardinal's,maybe a group ? Clowns are overrated,Wrasses are always cool.

I would totally do a cardinal group if I didn't already have so many fish! Haha, I was leaning toward a Wrasse already anyways.

I'd go with one of those two. Clowns are jerks and I agree with Reefkid, they are overrated. The Blue eyed cardinal might get bullied by your Chromis or assessors. I think the personalities of the wrasse or bangaii would fit best.

Yeah I think the wrasse would be the best fit because then my Chromis would be out more. He's so scared right now because the only other fish that really swims in the open is the Helfrichi. I agree with the clownfish… my fancy snowflake is such a meanie!

Thanks for the replies guys!

maybeeee lose a couple of fish and replace dems with some Cardinals :P ?!?! I agree with Basser,that's one bad thing about Wrasses... Have you kept them before without issues ?

Archived