Innovative Marine Aquariums

Acclimatising corals...

TassieGirl

Float them to temp acclimate, discard water in the bag, insert coral in tank. Simple as that.

However! You should ALWAYS dip incoming coral before it goes into your system.

I don't. Literally just straight into the tank after fresh water dip with matching temp and PH. Have not had a single pest introduced to tank since doing this (that I have noticed), and everything opens within an hour. Never had a problem doing this with any coral.

I don't. Literally just straight into the tank after fresh water dip with matching temp and PH. Have not had a single pest introduced to tank since doing this (that I have noticed), and everything opens within an hour. Never had a problem doing this with any coral.

There's nothing wrong with that. I just like to be safe. That said, I even dip corals that go from my CGA tanks to my display tank, and I know exactly how those corals are treated before they make their way into my display.

Thats kinda the nice thing about corals, is that they don't have an internal closed and delicate circulatory system that is sensetive to changes is osmotic pressure. :)

NorthGaHillbilly

I take and temp acclimate, then put some revive coral snake oil stuff in there for 5 min, then pull them out and plop em in the tank. When I had the delusion I should keep SPS I beyer dipped them all after getting red bugs from a frag

I just take mine straight from the bag to the tank as long as temps are the same. A lot of people believe in the quarantine process which is a good thing to do if you are able.

The only FW dips I'll do are with zoas. I've melted LPS, softies, and killed SPS doing FW dips.

I temp acclimate, and turkey baster acclimate over 30 minutes if the SG is more than .002 different. Dip in peroxide if I think there is any chance of introducing algae into the tank. Usually, just dipping a frag plug is sufficient for this. Dip in bayer every time, and rinse several times, and into the tank.

I just float the bags, bayer dip, rinse twice and in they go.

I do this. Float the bags, fill a little 2 gallon tank with water from the main tank. Add Bayer, dip and inspect, then add to the tank.

I'm not sure if Bayer is safe for all corals, I mainly dip acros.

Ill have to remeber the peroxide dip. How long do you do it?

If you do straight 3%, which is the common stuff you find in the drugstore or walmart, just hold the plug or base in it for a few minutes. It's pretty rare for algae to come in on the coral itself, it's usually attached to the ceramic plug or rock. You can technically dip the whole frag, but it does cause some stress. If you want to dip the whole frag, I would dilute it 50% H2O2 / 50% tank water and give it 5 minutes. Don't dip soft coral like xenia or mushrooms.

If you do straight 3%, which is the common stuff you find in the drugstore or walmart, just hold the plug or base in it for a few minutes. It's pretty rare for algae to come in on the coral itself, it's usually attached to the ceramic plug or rock. You can technically dip the whole frag, but it does cause some stress. If you want to dip the whole frag, I would dilute it 50% H2O2 / 50% tank water and give it 5 minutes. Don't dip soft coral like xenia or mushrooms.

Good stuff. Thank you.

Thanks everyone, my new corals went into my tank last night and the torch and elegance were swaying nicely with the water flow, the sun coral opened 50% and star polyp started to open.... All good i think! :)

I take and temp acclimate, then put some revive coral snake oil stuff in there for 5 min, then pull them out and plop em in the tank. When I had the delusion I should keep SPS I beyer dipped them all after getting red bugs from a frag

Revive is good stuff I use it for everything except sps. For sps I use bayer. The ONLY reason I don't use bayer on everything is because of the volume of corals that I have coming in. Even after a thorough rinse process I don't want to risk it getting into my system.

For those of you using peroxide, be very careful when doing so. As far as I know it's only safe for zoa's, and paly's definitely don't respond well to peroxide. Not that anyone is asking my opinion, but I would only suggest peroxide as a last resort and with fungal infections. I've nuked some high dollar polyps from peroxide dips.

I like revive best, and for a "bang for the buck" dip you can't beat bayer. The average hobbyist would likely only need to buy one $12 bottle every couple of years. Lol, I go through about 6 bottles of revive a month, but my corals are clean :).

So, no one drip acclimates? Am I wasting my time with that?

Not unless it's something extremely sensitive like a starfish.

For those of you using peroxide, be very careful when doing so. As far as I know it's only safe for zoa's, and paly's definitely don't respond well to peroxide. Not that anyone is asking my opinion, but I would only suggest peroxide as a last resort and with fungal infections.

I definitely recommend just the frag plugs for this reason. I've done full dips on SPS and acans and some other LPS without any loses. I'm sure it depends on the specific coral though.

I float everything, and only drip acclimate SPS.

I get my corals from one person mainly with an immaculate system so I don't dip. They Beyer dip all of their corals.

I sort of halfheartedly drip acclimate corals: float for temp, take out some LFS water, add a little of my water, intend to add a little more after a few minutes, but get impatient and just put the coral in.

Archived