Cultivated Reef

bio cube 14 gallons updated 8/16/16

HIppieRose

HIppieRose

Purple firefish is gone. Not to sure about getting another one. Would prefer a fish that does not hide so much.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HIppieRose

Maybe a yellow tail damsel. I love the color blue and maybe it could stand up to my dang clown fish. Or maybe rehome the clown fish and just get something else.

HIppieRose

Ok I only had my filefish a few days before I let someone that had no idea what I had talk me out of them. So reodering them and getting a blue neon and yellow line gobies and a cleaner shrimp. So clown fish has got to go.

HIppieRose

Last time I buy fish for this tank. Hubby is starting to complain. So if/when they die the tank is coming down.

Last time I buy fish for this tank. Hubby is starting to complain. So if/when they die the tank is coming down.

Yea I understand that my wife hates when I say I got stuff for the fish tank. It usually means I spent a few hundred.

• 1 month later...

Getting fed up with this tank. Can't keep up with the algae. I have no phosphates to speak of. No nitrates. I use RO water. Today I bit the bullet and ordered a skimmer. But I am starting to feel like I am throwing my money away. Weekly 3 gallon water changes. Nothing seems to help other then picking it off every week. So annoying. Wont be long and Ill run out of sand. I pulling it out with the hair algae. I have snails. Tried hermit crabs but my emerald crab may be eating them. Tried a turbo snail. Didn't help and just made a mess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Skimmer still does not seem to be working and the algae is getting worse. The more I clean it off the more that shows up.

HarryPotter

Skimmer still does not seem to be working and the algae is getting worse. The more I clean it off the more that shows up.

What is your feeding like? The algae is eating something.

I would do heavy siphoning of the sand bed, blow off the rocks with a powerhead, and conduct several water changes to clean up the tank

Hi. I had the same frustration for a couple of months and was about to tear down the cube.... I made two changes at once so I don't know which one helped:

1. Reduced the amount of frozen mysis to a minimum and am removing the food cube water before feeding. Back to primarily feeding pellets to my TC percs and mysis just for my green banded goby.

2. Adjusted tank flow so that there is better circulation down low

My green algae has gone down significantly -- almost non existent... HTH

I have cut down the food so much I worry something might die. I will move the water circulation but that stuff is all over now. Top middle bottom just all over even growing in the corals. I do have a second water pump I can add.

OK emerald crab is gone. I have 10 red leg crabs and lights have been out for two days. I am seeing a reduction in hair algae. The thing I am worried about is I need some shells for the hermits.

Tempted to just let the GHA have the tank. So tired of cleaning it out.

No nitrates and no phosphates. Have skimmer only use RODI water. I even did a three day black out and it is still there and now my leather is very unhappy so not doing that again anytime soon. And I added more water flow. Still can't stop it.

post-43055-0-20634300-1438012445_thumb.jpg

post-43055-0-92618900-1438012458_thumb.jpg

post-43055-0-91053200-1438012483_thumb.jpg

post-43055-0-98890000-1438012498_thumb.jpg

Hermit crabs. Some astrea, Nassarius and cerith snails. Don't know the exact numbers but all total maybe 40ish. Is that to many? Or not enough?

I also do 3 gallons a week water change.

I feed some tiny pellets to the fish once a week. Four of them for the two fish.

Brine shrimp, blood worms or zoo plankton once a week the frozen kind.

Marine snow once a week. None on the same day. I spread it out.

That's quite a bot of clean up crew. Reduce feedings, make sure your rodi water is good quality, manually remove the GHA, try to use some GFO, and keep up on water changes. Eventually the GHA will start to go away. Your phosphate is reading zero because the algae is taking up all the phosphates in the aquarium. It is tough to get rid of, but with a multi pronged approach, you will eventually get rid of it

Ok Ill back down to 2 feedings a week. Should I remove some of my CUC's. What is GFO and where do I get it? Never mind Ill research it myself.

Thank you.

HarryPotter

Ok Ill back down to 2 feedings a week. Should I remove some of my CUC's. What is GFO and where do I get it? Never mind Ill research it myself.

Thank you.

Hi,

I had a similar issue with my NanoCube a few months in.

You should do:

1. Regular water changes while siphoning sand bed

2. Less feeding

3. Reduce photoperiod

4. Run Chemi-Pure Blue Nano in the media basket. It has carbon, phosban, and GFO (Granular Ferric Oxide, which absorbs phosphates)

Markburns43

My 10 gallon same stage just got out of it it was like bam it started going away, i reduced my feedings of fish and how much i fed corals i fed twice a week, i used a tooth brush alot before a water change it would just keep coming back, keep up on your filtration priority change filter floss using a good media for phosphate removal and water changes it will go away, mean time stop adding fish and corals if somethings dead get rid of it, and let it be also make sure your ro water is good i found mine had phoshate in it i was pissed

Archived