inTank Media Baskets

bio cube 14 gallons updated 8/16/16

HIppieRose

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ooo is that one of those lil Filefishes. Let me know how he does for you. I was tempted by them when you first posted about them.

Someone said it earlier but... Try not to freak out when a coral is closed up; they do it for myriad reasons and will generally recover on their own. Start to worry after about three days or when the coral starts to disintegrate.

Keep up the good work!

They are all open and happy today. They close up at night.

I hope the Filefish do as well as ARO said they do. Could not find any other info on them from people that have actually kept them.

• 2 weeks later...

This is pretty cool. I'm thinking about getting a filefish that my LFS has that is eating flatworms which would be beneficial in my tank.

OK getting a false ORA clown fish and ORA Cleaner Goby DUO - Blue Neon & Yellow Line should add some nice color to my colorless tank. Also ordered some more macro pinks and something red.

You all sure do keep good records. Mine are kind of hit and miss. And I never remember names of stuff much less the scientific names I can not even spell them much less pronounce them.

Weasel Baron

They are all open and happy today. They close up at night.

I hope the Filefish do as well as ARO said they do. Could not find any other info on them from people that have actually kept them.

They eat a LOT! You would have to get used to 2x daily feedings to get him in top shape, and it likely would start nipping at your corals anyway. I used to keep an orange spotted filefish and had to feed 3x a day (before work, after work, in the evening).

In truth, a 14gal is a bit small for that fish, so It was probably best to sell him back for another type of fish. Clowns and gobies are pretty active and will certainly add some color.

Just got caught up! Things are looking good! If I were you I'd have kept the filefish till he got a bit older but that would've been irresponsible of me. Don't worry about the goby... they're skittish at first but get super active and personable when they settle in. Call you clownfish Ozzy ( short for Ocellarius)... Actually don't do that... I can't do fish names cause ti'll kill them.

Anyway Keep up the good work!

Now I am fighting red slim and some sort of black stuff on the sand. Did a 50% water change today. Added some phosban to the filter two days ago. Still there. /sigh Wonder if I should get my DI water from somewhere other then Walmart.

• 2 weeks later...

Not that anyone is watching. LOL

Have not seen my yellow line goby since I added him to the tank. I added a power filter for more water movement to help fight the red/black slim on the sand. Other then that things are doing great.

post-43055-0-31097200-1422026444_thumb.jpg

post-43055-0-50039700-1422026475_thumb.jpg

post-43055-0-40759200-1422026488_thumb.jpg

skyscraper2290

Do you have pictures of the slime? It sounds like it is cyano, a good way to help get rid of it is to do another large WC and be sure to vacuum areas that are covered. I believe chemipure also helps clear it out. Make sure that there aren't too many dead spots in the tank flow wise as dead spots make it easier for cyano to grow in those spots.

As for the goby, it's probably just hiding as it is getting use to the tank. The tank is looking good though and looks like it is coming along nicely.

I added more flow. I am doing larger weekly water changes and I clean the gravel as much I can. Even between WC's. I have phosphate zorb in the filter. Been told all I can do now is wait.

The pom pom crab showed up today still no yellow line goby in site.

BTW now all the sand is covered about every other day. I remove as much as I can (not near enough) every other day now.

happens to all new tanks. it will pass in time. keep up water change and ride it out. if it gets REALLY nasty, you can try Chemiclean. I bought some thinking I need it but cyano went away on its own after a couple of weeks.

Archived