ReefCleaners.org

bio cube 14 gallons updated 8/16/16

HIppieRose

Its all pretty and green again. I give up fighting it. Ill just enjoy it and mow it so it looks more like a lawn. My new goal is to just keep it out of the sand.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And now I am just letting it grow in the gravel. That dang yellow line goby likes to bite and I don't like it to bite me. lol I also only do every two weeks 3 gallon water changes. It's still pretty green. I am learning to accept it and like it like the green.

Everyone goes through the algae cycle but it is such a bummer. A few things that have helped me in my 3 1/2 years of learning (started with a biocube 14, now a biocube 29 and a fluval spec 5). I have a pair of clowns that are pigs and refuse to only feed twice a week, plus I have a sun coral that has to be fed daily, so... if you are feeding frozen, put the cube in a fish net over a bowl or sink and let it thaw and drain. Then rinse with RODI or saltwater before feeding - the stuff they freeze the mysis, etc in is full of phosphates which feed the algae. Put filter floss or pads on top of your media basket (don't keep the bioballs did you - learned they are terrible) and replace it every day or two. I get a huge roll of the blue/white filter pad for 9.99 on Amazon, cut it into pieces and it lasts for a couple of months. You are doing the water changes and siphoning - be sure to siphon those back chambers out every other week, getting to the bottom. You will be surprised at the yuck that comes out. Finally, I had a cyano outbreak last month and despite all that and siphoning daily, black out, etc. I finally got some Microbacter7 and dosed daily for a week, then put an algone pouch in my media basket. The cyano was gone by day 3 and I took the pouch out on day 5. Extra benefit - the water has been crystal clear ever since. You might have to take each rock out and scrub it with a toothbrush to remove some if the longest algae but if you try everyone's suggestions it will get better! I run my media basket with filter pad on top, then purigen, then carbon (/phosguard added every other week). Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the advice.

I am so sick of spending hours a week on this thing only to have it not change. So still just doing water changes and weekly feedings. It well get better or it wont. If it does Ill get a 29 core-life. If it don't well Ill just have a green mess.

Ok breaking down the tank. Going to clean it up and put everything back into the tank. I think I may have a lot of crap in the back. Cause I have never cleaned it when doing water changes.

I will also remove all rock and clean it with a toothbrush. May lose some of my corals but this green stuff has got to go before I allow myself a larger tank.

So I went ahead and removed rocks and brushed off algae. I still have some for the tail spot goby to eat. I didn't find the jester so he is gone. Tomorrow I do a large water change. Going to clean out the back when I do that.

Crossing fingers that this helps.

So this morning I get to rooting around in the back of my tank. I find a plate in the middle chamber. I remove it and find it is full of bio ball :wacko: I did not realize it had those in there. I thought the ones in the little bag were all that come with the tank. :blush:

So I pull all those out and the gunk. I net a bunch of gunk and then I do a 3 gallon water change with the hose in that chamber to clean out more gunk. Now maybe Ill stop growing a mess of GHA..... fingerscrossed

Just call me stupid. :blink:

I have the Coralife Biocube 29, the first thing that I did was ditch the bioballs and buy the inTank Media Basket. I think it was one of the best purchases for my tank. I run filter floss in the top, purigen in the middle, and chemipure elite on the bottom. It is a great way to export excess nutrients IMO. Good luck with your GHA problems!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

My skimmer is working well. So I removed a couple rocks and added a couple corals. When it calms down and the corals are happy again I'll get new pictures.

Glad to see you back at it :)

Thank you. I am just not very patient I want my rocks covered.

Archived