Pod Your Reef

Done with Crabs, UGH!

Gooburz

So for 2 years I've never had a problem with crabs but I should have listened. Emerald crab shredded my 2 year old Frogspawn and then killed my Skunk Shrimp all in 1 night! I was so pissed off I took that little SOB and chucked him into the backyard.

Anyone ever had a crab shred your coral?

All those who put crabs into your tank BEWARE!

It wasn't the crabs fault, it was yours for putting it in there. You should of at least taken to a LFS. Chucking in the back yard was just irresponsible fish keeping. It was just doing what crabs do.

Deleted User 8

Always amazes me when humans hold resentment against animals, especially cold-blooded ones, for doing instinctual acts.

It also amazes me when people know the risks involved in something yet are so upset when it actually happens to them.

However, I am no longer amazed when people do stupid things and then take it upon themselves to make posts about it on the internet.

Buzz

Always amazes me when humans hold resentment against animals, especially cold-blooded ones, for doing instinctual acts.

It also amazes me when people know the risks involved in something yet are so upset when it actually happens to them.

However, I am no longer amazed when people do stupid things and then take it upon themselves to make posts about it on the internet.

Buzz

:owned:

Admittedly a great deal of my reefkeeping involves hope and prayer in the days following research ("please don't eat this...please don't eat this... please don't...DAMMIT!!), but the naysayers DO have a point - emerald crabs are known to be opportunistic feeders even when otherwise well fed. By definition anything you have in your tank with one or more of 'em is technically on the menu and killing one out of frustration isn't exactly the best approach from an ethics point of view. The crab's just doing what it does, admittedly to something you wished it hadn't/wouldn't.

Besides, disposable tupperware is like a buck for 6 pieces. Punch a few inlet/outlet holes and clip the rim in a couple places and you've got an instant hang-on-the-inside-of-tank gulag to banish your offender to pending sale/trade to a store or another hobbyist willing to take the risk.

Case & point - I've a lot of dwarf hermits in my small tank... by and large all of them get along and leave the important stuff alone...through a lot of reading/trial and error and it could all go sideways "just because" one of them got hungry/wanted a new home/or again "just because". Doesn't mean the offender's getting hucked out the door. ;)

internet jainism is strong in these types of threads.

tell me the difference between a crab you removed(killed) because it was killing your corals vs a slug in the garden nomming on your leafy green shade plants.

Both animals were just doing their thing, and putting a cut open half full beer in the garden doesn't seem to bring any sort of wrath if it is discussed in a gardening forum.

It's easy to say you don't harm any living creature but until you walk with a broom sweeping bugs out of the way as to not step on them and limit yourself to never going out at night because you may accidently step on a bug you couldn't see, I won't take much stock in how serious you are in these types of lectures.

Also, dat aptasia is an animal too ya know.

tell me the difference between a crab you removed(killed) because it was killing your corals vs a slug in the garden nomming on your leafy green shade plants.

Both animals were just doing their thing, and putting a cut open half full beer in the garden doesn't seem to bring any sort of wrath if it is discussed in a gardening forum.

It's easy to say you don't harm any living creature but until you walk with a broom sweeping bugs out of the way as to not step on them and limit yourself to never going out at night because you may accidently step on a bug you couldn't see, I won't take much stock in how serious you are in these types of lectures.

I am a professional aiptasia killer.

Deleted User 8

Please know that I have dispached countless thousands of crabs in my day (and many, many higher-order animals), but that is not what we are talking about. The difference is once you start keeping an animal as a 'pet' they deserve better treatment. Certainly, if the crab was in need of being removed/dispached, I would do so qucikly and without malice.

Sorry you can't see the difference between getting pissed off and throwing something in the yard to die and treating something in a humane manner (even those slugs in your garden).

Buzz

Please know that I have dispached countless thousands of crabs in my day (and many, many higher-order animals), but that is not what we are talking about. The difference is once you start keeping an animal as a 'pet' they deserve better treatment. Certainly, if the crab was in need of being removed/dispached, I would do so qucikly and without malice.

Sorry you can't see the difference between getting pissed off and throwing something in the yard to die and treating something in a humane manner (even those slugs in your garden).

Buzz

Well since you decided this comment was directed to you and this one is obviously directed toward me I will have to make this simple for you to understand as it seems you are new to this forum. These topics pop up all the time, shaming someone for doing something they saw no harm in is not the way to get a point across. Educating them in alternatives without condescension goes a lot further toward the goal of a happy forum filled with INFORMATIVE information. Stating I just don't understand is not a reason when I pointed out many people hold life of all sorts in very high regard and that there is a difference between a pet animal and a wild animal in terms of value of life is absurd.

To everyone else, the point I was relaying is this, people who live in glass houses should not throw rocks. The odds are high that someone else holds all forms of life not just the pets we keep in much higher regard than you or I do.

It wasn't the crabs fault, it was yours for putting it in there. You should of at least taken to a LFS. Chucking in the back yard was just irresponsible fish keeping. It was just doing what crabs do.

LMAO

Why not blend it up into a smoothie and feed your tank with it? There'd be less suffering for the crab and it would benefit the rest of the tank. Turn a negative into a positive...

I'm not being serious..... But seriously....

I love how people are getting their panties in a bunch about him throwing his murderous crab away when countless of people kill fish and other livestock due to improper water conditions or a cycle not being completed etc. and no one bats an eye... So crappy husbandry is okay?

I love how people are getting their panties in a bunch about him throwing his murderous crab away when countless of people kill fish and other livestock due to improper water conditions or a cycle not being completed etc. and no one bats an eye... So crappy husbandry is okay?

Not to mention millions of babies being aborted each year. But that's another issue for a different forum.

Very strong argument there as well, even if someones intentions were good, ignorance of husbandry is most likely the biggest killer of fish IMO.

Partially Submerged

That's not the point. When I acquire an animal for my aquarium, I make a commitment to caring for it. And that's very different from killing slugs in the yard or whatever. Maybe not to you or the other tough guys in this thread, but it does to me and apparently to a bunch of other people here.

That's not the point. When I acquire an animal for your aquarium, I make a commitment to caring for it. And that's very different from killing slugs in the yard or whatever. Maybe not to you or the other tough guys in this thread, but it does to me and apparently to a bunch of other people here.

You are missing the point completely. What makes you an authority on what critters life is more valuable than the next is where this all goes? There is no difference asides from the one you validated in your head was a reason. When looked at impartially as 2 living things killing A is the same as killing B, commitment or not.

Partially Submerged

Again, that's not the point. Are you familiar with first line of the the rifleman's creed? It's not about one creature being more valuable than another. It's about the fact that this particular creature is in my care.

That just reminded me of an argument I had about eating dog with a guy, he said its disgusting, I said you eat pigs don't you? He said yes but it's different, I said their both animals, and they are both at the same level of intelligence, the pig may be actually more so, he was out of an argument

Archived