SaltCritters.com

very low alkalinity why?

frags

So I tested my alkalinity today and it was 4.5 dkh. I thought

the test was wrong so I tried another test kit and it confirmed the same.

So the question is why? Also are my fish safe?I have only one coral at the moment it's a mushroom.

History of the tank..

Setup for 6 week cycle and now it has been 3 weeks with fish.Same water the whole time.

Salt is Coralife

My water is also slightly cloudy and I think it's a bacteria bloom.

Do water changes. These are extremely necessary in smaller tanks. Also test your salt mix for alk levels.

Do you think a bacteria bloom will consume the alkalinity?

Do you think a bacteria bloom will consume the alkalinity?

Test the salt mix itself, so you can see what the water mixed to before you put it in the tank. If it's low, then try to shake up the salt and test again, because it might've settled incorrectly.

And with low magnesium, you lower the ability to keep alk and calcium in the water. They're precipitate out. Have you tested magnesium and calcium yet?

If any of the primary 3 prarms (Cal, Alk, Mag) drop too low they can cause precipitation. Usually has to be a drastic drop or excess dosing. A bacteria bloom would not cause low Alk.

Have you done any dosing recently?

I'm still waiting on the water to mix and I don't see a need to test mag if calcium is 500.

You really, really do. If calcium is too high it will take the alk with it as it precipitates. Magnesium prevents that from happening so that you can have alk and calcium at higher levels without them falling out of solution.

You really, really do. If calcium is too high it will take the alk with it as it precipitates. Magnesium prevents that from happening so that you can have alk and calcium at higher levels without them falling out of solution.

If any of the primary 3 prarms (Cal, Alk, Mag) drop too low they can cause precipitation. Usually has to be a drastic drop or excess dosing. A bacteria bloom would not cause low Alk.

Have you done any dosing recently?

Nope no dosing and I dont think that calcium at 500 is to high at all to cause precipitation.

I checked the mag and it was at 1300 so that's fine B)

I tested the water change water that I just mixed and all levels are fine, The Alk is 9.2 so the water change should bump up my alk. I am doing 33% water change and then I will do another in a few days.

The plan for this tank is water changes for the general filtration of they system, most likely 33% a week. Im still wondering what consume the ALK?

Just do 10% changes once a week. 33% is way overkill. You might invest in some additives for the sake of emergency.

When you swap out that much water the established water could be thrown into parameter shock. This may have been the cause for the swing especially if the water wasn't mixed thoroughly.

Whatever was the cause you should see things stabilize fairly shortly. Then proceed SLOOOWLY.

I think the 33% weekly water changes will actually stabilize the tank more. I am doing that on my 16gal now and it has helped a ton, as long as you are using a consistent salt mix it should be fine IMO.

Agree though that changing too much too fast could cause issues if your new water has drastic parameter differences than the water in the tank. Since you don't really have any corals I don't think it should be much of a problem, but motile inverts/CUC may be affected as well. Fish should be fine.

Archived