Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Is this a kalk overdose?

marko

All my corals look pissed. Particularly my sps.

I was gone for a few days, and found my Ca over 500 ppm (from 420) and Kh of 8.2dkh (from 10). But by the time I was home the pH was normal 8.2, so Idk if there was a precipitation event or not.

My corals look rubbed raw almost. 20141116_164003_zpscff2c870.jpg

20141116_163933_zps2cf360db.jpg

Does this look like that's the issue? Or should I be examining for a different cause?

I have since done 2 15% water changes.

I would expect your alk to be much higher than 8 for a kalk overdose. You would also be able to see calcium precipetate on the rocks as well.

Kalk supplements both calc and alk. If there was a precipitation event, alk would be higher while calc on the low side. It looks like whatever caused the swing is responsible for the tissue loss. What else are you dosing?

I don't think my kalk has any carbonate... maybe I'm confused. It's the brightwell kalk +2. It's just CaOH, MgOH, and StOH. At least so I thought.

Nothing was being dosed since I was away.

Normally I dose 2 part daily and Mg as needed. Also acropower, but that's more like feeding.

Ok so I checked my aqua controller Jr log. No pH spikes recorded. Nothing over 8.3.

Tank looks worse today than yesterday when I took the pics.

everything is slowly declining further.

Now my stylophora which was previously fine has burnt tips, and more acros are showing damage.

I changed my actinic T5 a few weeks ago. Could a faulty bulb do this?

Cant think of what else I changed.

My parameters today:

ca 420ppm

alk 9.0dkh

Mg 1300ppm

NO3 0.25ppm

PO4 0.02ppm

Fish seem normal.

There must be something in the water that we don't test for. Alk burn does not occur unless it is extremely high or changes extremely drastically from low to high. Do you use carbon or any organic adsorption resins that remove toxic metals or gas?

Archived