Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Found Coldwater LPS! Oval Cup Coral (Paracyathus stearnsi)

AquaticEngineer

AquaticEngineer

Yup, one of the only coldwtater LPS stoney corals, the Oval Cup Coral (Paracyathus stearnsi) and I was able to find and collect 4 of them!

Amazed to find these guys while diving yesterday, found them in the most unlikely of spots and wish I had more time and air to look for more. They were red with iridescent green tentacles when I spotted them, totally thought they were a small moonglow anemone until I looked closer and touched it.

Still waiting for them to fully open up, but here's a shot of one of them starting to puff back up.

10352897_824067620978066_701151098818995

Heres a googled image of one wide open that they looked like:

_DSC8531.jpg

AquaticEngineer

Neat! It is interesting that you describe them as being iridescent green, when the one in the photo looks red. I wonder why that is.

The base color and column are red on a couple and kind of pink/peach/orange on the other two but the tentacles once it opens up are iridescent green like the second photo.

I had to take my larger Graceful Decorator Crab (Oregonia gracilis) out of the tank because he kept crawling iover the cup corals and making them close back up. Still haven't been able to get a photo of them fully open. Next time I need to take a Go-Pro down with me and photograph them before I collect them, lol.

Archived