ReefCleaners.org

Struggling with water parameters need help!

Craig1089

Recently I downsized to a custom made nano reef with sump, it's approx 130 litres with both. It had cycled water and sand etc. Obviously to get to my house had to dismantle all the tank, I kept the sand under water in a container as to stop any die off. I have now set it back up around 10 days ago and I'm struggling with nitrates and on the odd occasion nitrite, I added cured live rock from my 500litre tank so I know that's cycled! The tanks seems to be struggling to break down waste, I have done 3 water changes 2 20% and 1 50% but nitrate still reads 40ppm? Has the move caused a whole new cycle with the tank? I only have two clowns in it, and star polyps 2 hermits and two turbo snails. The corals only seem to open for about 3 hours a day will this be down to the high nitrates? Any help would be appreciated thanks

I'd bet it's the sand. Was the sand from your previous tank? Did u clean it? Your new tank is going through a cycle. I'd just let it happen or replace the sand.

The sand was from the nano tank yes, which when I went to collect the tank still had corals that all looked healthy, so I know prior to the move the tank must have been stable. So I should just let it run this mini cycle then?

Did you rinse the sand out before placing it in the new tank? How deep was the original sandbed? How often was it cleaned?

But yeah is most probably from all the crap in the sand that got mixed up during the transfer.

To fix it now... I'd probably vacuum out all the sand, rinse the hell out of it i(f you want to keep it) or just replace it, while you're doing that change out almost all the water and reassemble. Corals and fish can sit in a bag or tupperware or whatever for the little bit while you're doing this, doesn't sound like there's a tremendous amount of livestock present right now.

Deleted User 8

Using old sand is like using old kitty litter.

You are going through a cycle. There often is not any easy way to avoid one, even using 'cycled' water, etc...

Buzz

Deleted User 8

Will it settle down after the cycle though?

Yes, eventually. The sand is most likely the culprit. Used sand is never a good idea IMO. Sand beds trap detritus and you transplanted a bunch when you used the old sand. What is happening now is things are leaching out of the sand causing the cycle. As things settle down and the stuff coming out of the sand is used up by the bacteria and filtration, your tank will reach a steady state.

Buzz

So I did as a couple of you mentioned I cleared all the old sand out the tank and replaced with new sand and did a 70% water change to.. Will I see a spike to start with due to moving all the old sand out? Because I have .25 ammonia, 0 nitrite and still 30 nitrate? How long should this all take to settle now?

Archived