SaltCritters.com

ATI 4x24 PAR Measurements

masterbuilder

masterbuilder

Seems like all the T5 PAR measurements I have come across are done with large multi lamp fixtures. Many of us here (including me) have smaller tanks and just cant fit 6 or 8 lamps over our tanks. So... I decided to purchase an Apogee Quantum SQ-120 Sensor to measure the output of my ATI 4x24 Dimmable. I took 4 depth measurements at 3 different locations across the light. The center measurement is self explanatory, the left and right are right at the end of the reflectors. The depth measurements are in inches from the splash shield. The fixture is hanging 5" from the surface of the water. All pumps were off during the test. The 24W lamps are 2 ATI Blue+ and 2 ATI Coral+. I took each reading numerous times and the numbers below are the average of each. Cross posting in the T5 HO information thread as well.

ATI_PAR1.jpg

Note: Lamps are 3 months old and have been running with a 1 hour ramp up and a 1 hour ramp down.

masterbuilder

thanks for the information, I have a 6x24w powermodule and my tank is 9" high... I must be getting blasted with par

I was told (today) by someone that knows a 1000 time more than me about aquarium lighting, that all ATI fixtures generate PAR numbers within 10-15% of each other. The difference is the coverage. Explaining, for example, a 4 lamp fixture over a 24 inch wide tank would only get high PAR over 10-12 inches while a 8 lamp fixture would get slightly higher PAR but spread over nearly the entire width.

I accept that reasoning buy looking at numbers others have posted with larger fixtures vs. my little light.

If I used a 6 bulb over my 4 bulb on my tank I bet I'd see over 15% more par in center of my tank. I buy that info to a certain extent but not completely. My 4 bulb ati had pretty even coverage front to back of my 18 Inch wide tank if remember right. Time to bust out par meter

I'll do it as well with mine, though I run it pretty high and over glass lids so I'm not sure how the numbers will compare other than give an idea of the spread. I do have 3 Blue+ and 3 Coral+ so I can match the bulb combination.

This is pretty interesting. I'm guessing with fixtures other than ATI's ballast perforce will reduce performance causing a little lower PAR readings.

I have a FNI 4 bulb fixture headed my way,and I'm hoping with 2 B+,1 P+ & 1 C+ I can achieve PAR somewhat similar. My tank is 10" tall,and if I hang it 6-8" above the tank,that'd almost yeild results SIMILAR to way you got.

This is pretty interesting. I'm guessing with fixtures other than ATI's ballast perforce will reduce performance causing a little lower PAR readings.

I have a FNI 4 bulb fixture headed my way,and I'm hoping with 2 B+,1 P+ & 1 C+ I can achieve PAR somewhat similar. My tank is 10" tall,and if I hang it 6-8" above the tank,that'd almost yeild results SIMILAR to way you got.

ATI uses single bulb reflectors

It's three main things that make the ATI fixture work so well. One is the reflectors, two is the ballasts, and three is the cooling system that blows on the cool spot on each bulb (label end) and then runs the air down the length of the bulb and out the side. This keeps the bulbs at their most efficient operating temperature which increases PAR and bulb life.

You get what you pay for, in other words. :)

My lights are 10 inches from the glass tops to the splash shield. 6 bulbs, 3 blue+ and 3 coral+. Bulbs and fixtures are 1 month old. Not sure how helpful this is but it does show the general spread. I run it this high because I have an LED strip on the front, angled back.

s6QWvb.png

masterbuilder

Thank you Markalot. I like your numbers. About 400 at the top and 200 on the sand bed is what the gurus claim is perfect. OK...glennr1978 and plainrt...your next.

A question to all.... The "label end" has always been a slight mystery to me. Looking at the ATI lamps, there is labeling at both ends. One end has the ATI logo and the other end has the true manufactures label/code. I have always run the ATI label under the vents but just wondering.

ATI uses single bulb reflectors

Correct. And better ballast and effective cooling like Mark said.

I'm just hoping/wondering if with a FNI fixture,which I believe uses pooty individual reflectors,I can still get pretty good par. I was thinking about down the road,switching reflectoes anyways (depending on the condition of the stock ones). Seeming my tank is only 10" tall,adding 6-8" of hanging height,I should be somewhat close to the numbers posted in the original post.

57 rimless 36x18x21 with ati 4x39 ati dimmable with week Bulbs 2 blue + and 2 coral+ at full power.

1st number at 8 inches off water and next at 3 inches off water[/color]

par_zps200ad850.jpg

1.PINKBIRDSNEST 300 410

2.BACK SPS BY WALL 300 440

3.BIG HAMMER 230 295

4.BUBBLE 180 210

5.FRONT RIGHT SAND 165 185

6.FRONT LEFT SAND 165 185

7.FINGER 200 205

8.CENTER SPS 400 580

9.RED CAP 390 530

10.CENTER SANDBED 210 215

11.BIG CHALICE 150 155

12.OCTOSPAWN 280 350

13.NUKES 180 185

14.TORCH CORAL ON BACK WALL 200 265

Ok here is same setup with a custom led strip for pops and shimmmmmers

57 RIMLESS 36x18x21 tall 4X39 ATI DIMMABLE WITH CUSTOM 20 CREE XT-E STRIP,80DEG LENSE RUNNING AT 5W EACH

First number 3 inches off water second number 8 inches off water.When tested there was two led that i messed up optics on and they didnt have lenses on them two either.Numbers would been higher on sps side if fixed.

http://s5.photobucket.com/user/plainrt/media/par_zps200ad850.jpg.html'>par_zps200ad850.jpg

1.PINK BIRDSNEST 620 505

2.SPS BY BACK WALL 510 455

3.BIG HAMMER 470 400

4.BUBBLE 455 500

5.FRONT RIGHT SAND 290 300

6.FRONT LEFT SAND 295 310

7.FINGER LEATHER 505 490

8.CENTER SPS ROCK 780 610

9.RED CAP 760 605

10.CENTER SAND BED 460 405

11.CHALICE 300 375

12.OCTOSPAWN 800 595

13.NUKES 455 385

14. TORCH BY BACK WALL 325 250

• 2 weeks later...

I'm running a 6 bulb ATI over my 40. I suppose I could break out the PAR meter and get some readings if you guys are interested.

I would like to see the par + your bulb combo. Thanks

• 2 years later...

I have Innovative Marine all in one 40 tank with 24" length, 20" height, and 14" width (display dimension)

Is 6 bulb ATI sunpower too big? I want to get the 6 bulb one just so if I upgrade to a bit bigger tank I can use it. I also worried that since the 6 bulb one is wider, it will hover on top of the back sump portion of the all in one tank which has the skimmer and other devices. 

Archived