Innovative Marine Aquariums

Play/zoa disease ID - Black Stalk

Reef_Ninja

I have this frag of palys, two of them when they are closed look black/dark brown, when open you can clearly see that the stalks are black/dark brown. They behave totally fine, but whereas one polyp was affected before, this morning I see that it has spread to another. Any ideas?

FWIW, there is a white sponge that has grown between the polyps. I've scrubbed it with a tooth brush to remove it but it comes back pretty fast.

Pics to come soon.

looks like a small nudi on the bottom left of the plug, but I cant say definitively. May be worth doing a FW dip and keeping an eye on the surrounding colonies

Did both a bayer and FW dip. Noticed that the black film wipes off fairly easily. May just be harmless, but it would be cool to know if someone else has seen this.

Did a lot of reading today, and am pretty convinced this is something called "Brown Dust" or a brown-film type of fungus, sounds like its pretty common after a Zoa pox infection (which may have been a problem a couple months ago). Seeing as I have Zoas that I care alot more about, I think I might just pitch these, just to make sure the others stay healthy and to prevent disease spreading. As much as I hate the idea of throwing coral away.

no QT tank im assuming? fungal infections are a PITA, iodine dips worked occasionally when I was doing husbandry stuff, but more frequently we would end up pitching the colony. Could you try using a razor to just cut off the offending polyps and iodine dip the remaining healthy ones?

no QT tank im assuming? fungal infections are a PITA, iodine dips worked occasionally when I was doing husbandry stuff, but more frequently we would end up pitching the colony. Could you try using a razor to just cut off the offending polyps and iodine dip the remaining healthy ones?

Well, in all honesty I was going to throw them away. But when I got home last night from work, they looked totally fine.........no trace of the film, or sponges either. They actually looked better than they had in a long time.

So for the moment, Im going to hold on to them. If the film shows any sign of coming back, Ill pitch them.

Archived