ReefCleaners.org

new nano reefer here with some questions

lefty99

Hey guys and gals. Im am new to saltwater. Been doing freshwater ever since I was 14. I've always wanted to try saltwater but had always been discouraged because back then nano tanks weren't as popular and I was always suggested to start out with a 60gal or bigger. I have limited space so thats why I want to do nano. Anyways my questions are do I need any kind of mechanical filtration when cycling? Or can I just get away with saltwater live rok and live sand and two koralia powerhead for now. Im on a tight budget with the holidays coming soon too so I was planning on getting led lights and protien skimmer down the road. I have a 28 bow front that im turning into nano reef. I plan on setting up a display refugium next to the tank later on also. Has anyone try setting up one of those fluval tank as a refugium?

For cycling you are fine with what you have. I would get a good protein skimmer before anything else because you could run a Berlin Method filtration system until you get your refugium up and running.

Hi, I am new to this hobby too. I have been watching on used item...but like to buy new too to reduce headahce.... So I want to see how the price would be lower on Black Friday...may I ask which web sites you would pay attention on? I could only think of "Marixxxxpot.com". Any other sites you would suggest?

Thanks

you should run filter floss during cycling but no need for carbon / purigen / etc. The trend is now for less rock instead of a wall of rocks.

as for sites during Black Friday, check out the sponsors on this forum. inTank is pretty good. I also use Dr Foster and Smith because of free shipping over $50.

but if you really want cheap equipment, find a local reef club or forum and ask for help. you will be surprised at how generous local reefers are. most of them have extra equipment / corals they dont need and will give away for free or very cheap to new reefers.

Archived