Cultivated Reef

Need an ATO suggestion

OCNcheffy

wow.such.chris

I have the smart level. It works as it should flawlessly but I've noticed it takes a good amount of evaporation in order to get it to top off my tank. In small tasks this is a considerable change in salinity. Also, I use a Toms aqualifter to top of and it takes longer than the pump allows (10min).

Hmm.. How big is your tank for it to take 10 minutes? I'd imagine a small tank like mine wouldn't take 10 min. I like the fact that the smart level has no moving parts...

I had a Tunze Osmolator 3155 on a 12 gallon for several years and it worked flawlessly. My only complaint was that the brackets and clamps for the sensors were pretty big and took up a lot of room in in my tank's back chamber. I just got the Osmolator Nano 3152 for my 8 gallon tank and it's working great. There's only 1 sensor, so it takes less room. It uses a magnet to mount the sensor which is much nicer than the old clamp brackets. I have it running through the Tunze Calcium Dispenser and it's been working perfectly. It's sensitive enough that it only pumps for about 3-4 seconds each time it runs. My guess is that it's somewhere between 4-6 ounces each run.

I just have a float switch in the back of my Spec V that is running an Aqua Lifter. Thing I hate is there is no room around the float switch for any type of snail guard at all.

I was thinking of getting the Hydor smart level, but I have no idea if that sensor will fit in the smaller back chamber.

Hmm. maybe the smart ato is the way to go then! If the pump is ever an issue, I can always swap it out. I plan on just putting the temperature switch on the side of the tank, with the overflow entry. Not in the overflow, but just outside it.

*edit* just bought the smart ATO with the little tom pump! We'll see how it performs! It'll be a small run for water so it should be ok.

Hmm. maybe the smart ato is the way to go then! If the pump is ever an issue, I can always swap it out. I plan on just putting the temperature switch on the side of the tank, with the overflow entry. Not in the overflow, but just outside it.

*edit* just bought the smart ATO with the little tom pump! We'll see how it performs! It'll be a small run for water so it should be ok.

This is my exact setup as well. I like it a lot. The aqua lifter is near silent - I mean like almost inaudible! I previously had the Elos Osmocontroller which was great, but would be out of luck if the pump went!

• 2 weeks later...

At the price of the first one I would get the smart ato, I have one and I think it's the best.

The Smart ATO seems all the rage, I ordered one for my new tank. If it works as claimed, it certainly is a huge step forward in ATO's.

The Smart ATO seems all the rage, I ordered one for my new tank. If it works as claimed, it certainly is a huge step forward in ATO's.

I am a little partial to it because marine depot sent me one for review. But I have been using it since July with no problems.I am going to put a float switch next to it in case it does not shut off.

here is the review I did...Watch "AutoAqua Smart ATO Review by Frags Reef - Marine …" on YouTube

AutoAqua Smart ATO Review by Frags Reef - Marine …:

Deleted User 8

I use old school float switches. One for the pump and one for a high water shut off. They are mechanical which I like because I understand the technology and can trouble shoot it easily.

I've been trying the aqua lifter but I think it may not have enough poop to pull the water up into my tank. I need to raise the ATO res higher perhaps. It is quiet though. I can't tell when it is running! I have to stick it to my ear and even then it is hard to tell.

Buzz

I have float switches running through my Apex for my 40B, and a Hydor Smart on the 6 gallon at work with a Tom's Aqualifter. If you don't have an Apex, I would definately recommend the Hydor Smart for your ATO.

I currently have the Hydor ato being pumped by a BRS dosing pump on my 3.5 gallon. The difference in water levels on the sensor seems like a bit much so I had been thinking of replacing it and then it went and stopped working completely recently. When I turn on the ATO it just pumps until the alarm goes off regardless of where the water level is at. Every product seems to have a bad egg every once in a while and maybe I got really unlucky but that's my experience so I'll be sending it in for warranty and probably replacing it anyways.

I've been looking at the AutoAqua Smart ATO or the Elos Osmocontroller since my sensor is in the display and these sensors are pretty minimal but when I watch videos of them the pumps provided seem to pump water very fast. Would this be an issue on my 3.5 or OPs Fluval Spec V? Worried about overflow in a small tank with that flow rate.

Tony

Deleted User 8

Well, the Aqua Lifter is a keeper. I had the tank on the stand in my shop for the last 3 days and it works great. The only thing I can hear to tell me it is working is the click from the relay. I like the ATO water to go in slow and It drips in just at the rate I want. I usually use IV tubing with the wheel adjuster for flow--won't be needed. I also like that you can get replacement parts for it which I got when I ordered the pump. Even If I have to fix or replace every 6 moths it will be wort it to me for the flow rate and zero noise it makes.

I also have the inline filter which is not that great as it leaks.

Buzz

Just an update as I've received the Hydor smart level and Aqua Lifter and I'm impressed! It takes about 20 seconds for the sensor to know the water has reached it's low or high point, but the aqua lifter is so slow for pumping water that it doesn't matter! So far so good!

Deleted User 8

My OG float switch system is very sensitive. I can pick up some tank water with my bare hand, hold it for a second or two, and the pump clicks on. I then wipe/shake off my hand into the tank and the pump shuts off. I have to be mindful of the fact that it is so sensitive.

My aqua lifter pump is working great so far.

Buzz

2004jeeplaredo

I have a tunze 3155 and it's been perfect for me. It's a decent size though.

On my Nuvo 8 I have a hydor smart ATO. It's been annoying. It ook a while to find a pump that works well with it. I eventually just got an aqualifter and it seems to do the trick. The ATO is also annoying because every time I stick my hands in the tank the alarm goes off. I get that it's a small volume but it seems to take a while to turn off.

I have the 3155 on two tanks (28G and 15G) for about 8 months and have never had an issue. I'm getting ready to order one for my 8G and went searching around for threads about other people's experiences with ATOs for smaller sized tanks.. Good discussion - I'm following along..

reefernanoman

I bought the one from Hydor, but had to get it from MD so that I could sneak it in before my wife finds out! I couldn't get it from AMZN, since I get busted like that! shhhhhhhh! don't tell her.

It's difficult to sit the Hydor ATO properly in my Fluval Spec V... Right now it's in the display area and since I like to have a high water level, the alarm node is actually higher than the rim. It's unfortunate, but otherwise it fills it to the max level and turns off at the right time perfectly. Takes roughly 8 minutes for the aqualifter to turn off.

Archived