ReefCleaners.org

Sponges?

Jbrock183

I have what I think are sponges growing on my live rock. I've tried doing research but all I've found is a lot of technical jargon. I'm just looking for some basic information about how to identify sponges, the different types (and colors) of sponges, etc. Can I find this information without having to read through pages and pages of technical biology that in the end doesn't really answer any of my questions?.

Short answer is nope.

Long answer, there are so many different types of sponges, some that haven't been identified yet. So a simple ID just isn't possible. From my own research, to be able to accurately ID a sponge, you have to get a sample and observe its skeletal tissues and channels under a microscope. I'd say just let the sponge grow. I have tons in my tank, some pineapple sponges, and a bunch of weblike sponges growing. They filter the water for me, so I'm ok with them. If they start over growing my corals, then I'll step in and do something.

I have a couple that are very light purple. A couple that are bright yellow. And one that is bright green. I'm not convinced the yellow and green are sponges though.

I have a couple that are very light purple. A couple that are bright yellow. And one that is bright green. I'm not convinced the yellow and green are sponges though.

The yellow and green probably are sponges if they look like them. I've seen sponges in a color between army green and lime green, and the yellow ones are almost the color of the inside of a lemon. I have one that's growing in a tubular fashion right now that is solid black.

Some yellow ones can grow pretty aggressively. Mine started out looking like that one and it's been really hard to control. Grows under full light as well and has taken over some coral in a few places.

Should I get rid of it? Its right beside a duncan and very close to snowflake polyps and a nice group of zoas?

Most people don't have the problem I have with this one but some do. If you do a search on google for yellow encrusting sponge control, there a handful of other tanks where they're a problem. I don't think I would mess with yours unless they look like they spreading out a lot especially if they grow well under full light.

There's so many species of sponge, it's completely possible that mine or the other malignant ones are completely different than the common yellow ones that most mature tanks have. Another specific trait of mine, is that it doesn't care if it's under bright light. This picture was taken with the sponge directly under 500W of MH. Most of my other yellow ones in the tank, which don't seem to be going crazy, prefer to stay out of the light.

Archived