Cultivated Reef

Marine Depot

LarryC

I consider, and relay on customer feedback to help me choose a product. I now wonder just how reliable this feedback can be when it appears customer feedback is selectively chosen.

I provided my 1st product review about 3 weeks ago. After a few weeks, my feedback still didn't appear. My review was an accurate assessment and unfortunately not positive. Since I have emailed customer service 4 times, and still nothing. They say responses have to be checked for spelling errors and foul language.

I noticed nigher priced products such as the new positive rated Maxspect XF150 Gyre, seem to get posted in a day. Obviously something caused this product to quickly make its way through the spell checker.

Because I can't support, and rely on such a system, I have requested to have my account closed.

Wait, you're angry because they didn't post a review that you made on one of the products? And now you've decided to close your account because you think they are filtering results.

That's ridiculous!

Do you base all of your purchase decisions based on a single distributor's customer reviews or do you check multiple sites?

DO YOU TRUST EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE NET?!?!?!?

Get over yourself. <_<

Although I don't particularly agree with practices of removing customers reviews, I can assure you many if not most websites do this.

I think any negative reviews should be commented on by staff to help fix the problem/offer refund etc. so the customer leaves happy, but maybe that's just me? :P

There's nothing ridiculous about boycotting a company that filters their feedback to "cherry pick" only favorable reviews. Many of us read reviews as a final determination of whether or not we buy a product. It is a commonly used and in my opinion dishonest business practice and I would hope they do not do that. (the equivalent of this is if ebay let sellers delete negative feedback, how safe would ebay feel then)

I've seen negative feedback on some products on MD. I doubt they cherry pick. That being said, I'm sure your feedback wasn't put there as quick as the gyre's feedback, and I'm sure that's because the gyre is a new product and would like to receive that feedback first.

I see both sides of this. I would be a little upset but not surprised if they are filtering results. That being said you should not solely rely on feedback from retail sites, and look at forums like this one for reviews on products. If you can't find enough feedback, start a thread.

• 4 weeks later...

I can tell you from firsthand experience that reviews from a vendor's site can be totally BS. I own a small business and have, on multiple occasions, been offered a webpage and social media package that includes hundreds of fake positive reviews. It is claimed (I agree in the premise) that by having lots of positive reviews, any negative ones will not drag down your overall rating. It is very dishonest and I have not subscribed to such a package. In my experience, if I need a good review of a product or service, I get it from a third party, like from y'all. Not interested how many stars something gets on the vendor's own site.

I can tell you from firsthand experience that reviews from a vendor's site can be totally BS. I own a small business and have, on multiple occasions, been offered a webpage and social media package that includes hundreds of fake positive reviews. It is claimed (I agree in the premise) that by having lots of positive reviews, any negative ones will not drag down your overall rating. It is very dishonest and I have not subscribed to such a package. In my experience, if I need a good review of a product or service, I get it from a third party, like from y'all. Not interested how many stars something gets on the vendor's own site.

You're comparing apples and oranges. We're not talking about reviews of Marine Depot, just products they resell. if anything it would be counterproductive for MD to manipulate the product reviews because it is in their best interest to have customers pleased with the products they purchase.

With that said product reviews should to be screened and filtered if they don't actually pertain to the performance of the product. For example, here's a 1 star review of a charging cable I just bought from Amazon:

"Bought it on a lightning deal and had high expectations. The first time I plugged it into my Iphone 6 (IOS 8.1) I heard the tone that it was seated properly and then the screen banner that "this cable is not certified and may not work reliably...blah blah blah. Sure enough, it didn't work reliably. It wouldn't charge my phone, tried it on other 6's in the house and tried to charge an ipad too...still no luck. It will be going back."

Here's the product description:

• Compatible with: iPhone 5, 5S, 5C / iPad 4th Gen / iPad Air / iPad Mini, Retina / iPod Touch 5th Gen / iPod Nano 7th Gen.

Conclusion, randymac didn't read the product description closely enough. Upon finding out that this cable wouldn't work with his iphone 6 he decided the product is faulty instead of realizing he is just a dumbn@$$. Now there is an irrelevant 1 star review which I have to sort through when deciding which cable best fits my needs.

Perhaps the OP's review didn't pertain to the actual product being reviewed either.

Of the 10million products sold on MD, you're worried about a review on one of them? Instead of posting about it, if it upset you that much send an email to MD, heck call the # they have listed on their site.

Reading comprehension isn't your strongest asset.

You basically are a MD forum paid fangirl and bias as the OP points out. You only proved his point.

jedimasterben

You basically are a MD forum paid fangirl and bias as the OP points out. You only proved his point.

wat

also, your username makes me think of kate upton and all is good with the world

bw%2520kiss.gif

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

jedimasterben

You're comparing apples and oranges. We're not talking about reviews of Marine Depot, just products they resell. if anything it would be counterproductive for MD to manipulate the product reviews because it is in their best interest to have customers pleased with the products they purchase.

With that said product reviews should to be screened and filtered if they don't actually pertain to the performance of the product.

The unfortunate bit is that negative product reviews are less likely to be made public. Vendors wouldn't stock a product that they don't want to sell, and even honest feedback saying that a product doesn't do as claimed, wasn't as described, etc, probably won't be posted. Shitty, but that's what ends up happening.

This whole thing also assumes that there wasn't some weird hiccup in network/wifi/etc. and that the review simply just never went anywhere but OPs computer and into the depths of cyberspace. Shit happens. Is it possible that the review just disappeared, that there is nothing actually malicious going on? Or do we all assume that everyone is terrible and awful?

joining the ride on this fun thread..

MD has probably one of the best customer service dept's I've encountered..

who goes to retailers for the reviews? I tend to think better reviews will be found on forums, that way one can look and see what kind of experience the poster has, and it also allows for more detailed reviews and pictures..

joining the ride on this fun thread..

MD has probably one of the best customer service dept's I've encountered..

It's not about direct customer service

Well, I never mentioned anything about emails. I asked "wat" because of your unfair insult of another member of this forum. But since saying "reading comprehension isn't your strongest asset" to Kat was fair game, you also clearly have a problem reading, as my response never mentions emails at all. In addition, following that up in post #17 is that maybe, JUST maybe, customer service can't help him because there is nothing to do? Maybe there was a weird thing and the review simply never actually posted... You know like the emails that sometimes disappear or how sometimes we order things online and the site freaks out and we never actually get the order through? Or how sometimes we see it go through but the website never gets it? Or let's talk about your grammar problem and how you call Kat, "bias" which she clearly isn't - she's a person. She could be biasED, but she can't be an actual bias.

for starters, this thread is a month old..

secondly, the OP also seemed pretty darned happy with MD just prior to this:

I purchased the Elos Osmocontroller yesterday from MD. Someone must have been waiting at the desk for my purchase. About 2 hours later, I received a tracking number. WOW!!!

I'm currently having a PicO 20G built, and plan to use this in my nano. I know the return hose isn't provided in the box, so I'm just going to wait and see just what size I need to order.

I like this unit because it mounts on the provided hanger, and sits in the filer area without any magnets. I also like the fact, according to orders in these forums, it puts out only mouthful of water every 15 minutes. I really like this as to not shock any corals.

Stay tuned!
==========================================================================================
CORRECTION:
I received my Elso ATO, and it DOES include the hose. I spoke to MD, and they will be updating the description. BTW, the white silicone hose is very flexible and of very high quality just like the entire setup.
I should have my tank setup in a few weeks. I'll report on it's performance shortly afterwards.

Well, I never mentioned anything about emails. I asked "wat" because of your unfair insult of another member of this forum. But since saying "reading comprehension isn't your strongest asset" to Kat was fair game, you also clearly have a problem reading, as my response never mentions emails at all..

I wouldn't sweat it, he's just not that original :)

"Talk about reading comprehension....."

" Is reading comprehension that hard?"

"You're not very good at reading"

"Sounds like your issues are with comprehension"

Archived