Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

please help new to keeping coral

Bigmack0509

i am new to keeping coral and just had a few questions. right now i have a 6 gal nano cube. for corals i have zoanthids, duncan, hammer, and daisy coral polyps. i dont really under stand adding calcium to the tank (what kind, how much and how often) and if there is anything else i should add please let me know. i am feeding them frozen mystic shrimp right now. if you know of any good links or videos on youtube please let me know. here is a pic of the tank. its with my iphone i took at night, so sorry if its not the best. any help or info would be great.

http://e6ozsi.jpg

http://www21.online-convert.com/download-file/9a1bc7612defa3157beb8ca9e23ba6f0/converted-58f8b7fc.jpg

You have a 6g tank buddy I would not personally add calcium to a 6g tank, the amount of water is so small that you could over dose the tank easily. The coral you are keeping at this exact moment do not require any kind of special dosing to be kept alive. I would stick to regular water changes, weekly if that is possible for you, and watch the feeding too, too much feeding is bad to if you dont have a skimmer or anything that could eat those leftovers.

Sirhk is correct. Do 10% waterchanges once a week and the salt mix will sustain your current coral collection. Meanwhile read all over this site. the information is here. either in the beginner's section or available via the search bar. The reason I say that is because typing the whole explanation takes a bit of time.

Thank you for all of the help. i will look on here for more info. right now i am doing 10% water change every week. i get the saltwater already made from a small saltwater fish store. i was planning on feeding the coral 1 a week (the day before my water change). i also was going to feed the 2 clowns every 3 days. also take out the poop when ever i see it. thank you again for all of the help!

Thank you for all of the help. i will look on here for more info. right now i am doing 10% water change every week. i get the saltwater already made from a small saltwater fish store. i was planning on feeding the coral 1 a week (the day before my water change). i also was going to feed the 2 clowns every 3 days. also take out the poop when ever i see it. thank you again for all of the help!

Just check the salinity of the new water with the old water each time before adding to make sure it matches especially since you are not mixing it. You should probably feed your clowns daily or at least every other day just don't feed more than what they can eat in under 2minutes.

Clownfish shouldn't be kept in 6 gallon tanks, 10 gallons is the absolute minimum. You should only really keep a small goby in a tank that size, Ocellaris clowns can get up to 4 inches in length.

The best rule of thumb especially for nano tanks is NEVER dose anything that you don't test for.

get your self a set of test kits and let them tell you when it is time to dose and or water change. In a 6 gallon tank a weekly water change will likely be all you ever need.

i am new to keeping coral and just had a few questions. right now i have a 6 gal nano cube. for corals i have zoanthids, duncan, hammer, and daisy coral polyps. i dont really under stand adding calcium to the tank (what kind, how much and how often) and if there is anything else i should add please let me know. i am feeding them frozen mystic shrimp right now. if you know of any good links or videos on youtube please let me know. here is a pic of the tank. its with my iphone i took at night, so sorry if its not the best. any help or info would be great.

http://e6ozsi.jpg

http://www21.online-convert.com/download-file/9a1bc7612defa3157beb8ca9e23ba6f0/converted-58f8b7fc.jpg

With a tank so small it would be really hard to calculate the needed dosing for a well stocked tank. your best bet is to perform regular, twice weekly water changes that are about 20% of your water volume to keep your trace elements up.

Archived