Pod Your Reef

storm 10v converter

Daimyo68

So, I have the Storm, and purchased the 10V converter to use on a custom fixture I built some time ago using ELN drivers. The fixture is currently controlled via the Apex, but I am in the process of building another fixture using LDD drivers.

Anyways, I got the converter, and in the box it comes with a 12v, 1Amp power supply...

No instructions, none found on their website.

Anyone able to give me some info on this and how to use the PS?

Thx

I'm not sure why it came with it either. There's no place to wire/plug it into.

I'm assuming they made a mistake? But the box it was in did fit both the power supply and converter just right.

jedimasterben

EDIT: see reply from BenCoralux below

Something else, the power supply for the Storm is 9v, 1amp

How are the controller and converter going to supply 10v?

Voltage in doesn't need to necessarily be near or above voltage out. the Storm still sends a 5v PWM signal and then the little board does the rest. It doesn't need any more power to do so since it is not adding anything to the power output, just doubling the voltage (which cuts the current in half).

Ben from Coralux here (no relation to Jedi, he is the real master).

When using the 10V daughter board with the Storm, you should use the included 12V power adapter. The converter doesn't use the voltage doubler circuit described by jedimasterben, but instead accepts 12V and cuts it down to 10V.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

jedimasterben

When using the 10V daughter board with the Storm, you should use the included 12V power adapter. The converter doesn't use the voltage doubler circuit described by jedimasterben, but instead accepts 12V and cuts it down to 10V.

Actually, you're the master of the Storm :bowdown:

Mind if I send you an email? I'd like to pick your brain about some settings on the Storm X.

Ok, so the power supply that was sent with the converter replaces the original PS for the Storm (which is 9v if I recall correctly).

jedimasterben

Ok, so the power supply that was sent with the converter replaces the original PS for the Storm (which is 9v if I recall correctly).

Correct.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, the converter is not working...

With nothing connected, I checked to make sure I had the 5v pwm signal coming out of the Storm, and every channel works.

Turned the controller off, plugged in the Converter, powered it back up, and I have nothing coming out of the converter.

Coming out of the Converter (left to right):

1: 0.00v

2: 0.00v

3: 0.00v

4: Can be adjusted using the controller, 0.00 - 5v

5: Can be adjusted using the controller, 0.00 - 5v

6: 0.00v

7: 4.83v steady

8: .931v steady

9: 1.002v steady

10: 5v steady

The drivers I'm using are Meanwell ELN-60-48D, and a single ELN-30-24D. The fixture was just taken off my system and disconnected from the Apex. I hooked it back up to the Apex and the fixture lights up as normal.

I also connected the Storm alone to an LDD driven fixture, and it also works fine.

I'm assuming I received a bad Converter.

Here's an image of the Storm and Converter:

converter_zps1e751942.jpg

Just an update on this. I emailed LGB, and Coralux was cc'd in the reply email. Ben responded quickly and had a good idea about what the issue was.

My Storm controller is Version 1.0, and it turns out that the early models of the controller do not work with the Converter.

Ben was a great help with this and remedied my situation quickly.

I did, after finding the issue, go directly to the Coralux website, and in their description of the Converter, it states to contact them before ordering so that they can confirm that the converter will work with your setup.

I wish I would have known that from the start, I would have contacted them first, but the statement isn't in LGB's website, and I just ordered the part.

Anyways, thx goes out to Milad for putting me in touch with Ben, and the fast responses to my email.

Archived