Pod Your Reef

Coral Ids

reefinnewb

I bought two frags awhile back and thought the one was a Monti Cap but I'm starting to thing it's an encrusting montipora it has blue polyps and pinkish base. The pink one I'm unsure of. I don't usually buy corals on a whim but they were fairly bleached and all but free.

20141112_193541_zps4xhkxi3i.jpg20141112_193509_zps6fum1tx1.jpg

Thanks.

The algae is misleading. The bubble are from the new skimmer producing micro bubbles. It's been there for days and hasn't spread. Didn't have bubbles untill the skismet was. Setup and started throwing micro bubbles

Thanks.

The algae is misleading. The bubble are from the new skimmer producing micro bubbles. It's been there for days and hasn't spread. Didn't have bubbles untill the skismet was. Setup and started throwing micro bubbles

Pretty positive that is dinooflagellates. Usually a dead give away once you get those strands.

It's pretty much limited to that rock. I'll removery it and do fresh dip on it. I heard that causes the cells to pretty much explode. Then try peroxide

I had dinos at one point and followed a regimen to raise the ph safely and slowly and they disappeared in a few weeks. Also reduce your nutrients and all that too. When you do water changes make sure to blow the dinos off the rocks into the water column and siphon it out. I haven't gotten them again.

I took the one rock out last night that was the worst and did a hypo dip in 1.015. The dinos all turned white. I'll have to see what they look like today. It's a very small case and I plan on keeping it that way if I can. No snails have died so that's a good sign.

Once I get home I'll get pics. Fingers crossed they stayed that way. Mabye white is the wrong word. Opaque maybe.. hard to describe but not green any more.

Archived