inTank Media Baskets

Bleaching Monti Cap

Fishstiks

Hi all,

I recently upgraded my 38g tank to a 90g tank. All corals are doing well and seem to have adjusted nicely. My orange Monti Cap looks like it is starting to bleach a bit though. I am running Radion Gen 2's over the tank, at 20%, apx 6 hrs plus sunrise/sunset. The cap is halfway down in the tank, but still seems to be losing some color. The plate is axp 6 inches in diameter, growing flat, so the bottom side gets virtually no light, only the top.

Should I try to lower it to the bottom, maybe angle it, or reduce the lights a little more? Everything else seems to be doing fine at 20% and the tank is LPS/Softie dominated. Params are all normal but this is a new tank, so I am having the normal new tank issues. Slight phosphates, struggling to keep Alk up with just weekly water changes, stupid microbubbles. No real algae problems, initial hair algae and diatoms upon cycling, but that is all gone now. Fuge still growing some algae, but display is clean.

I only have a couple SPS pieces, so I don't have much experience with them. Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it lightening or bleaching? They're not always the same. A lot of coral will lighten with lower nutrients and higher light, but won't go all the way to bleaching or STN.

Sounds like you should lower it regardless though just to be safe though.

In my experience the montipora capricornis corals don't do well with alkalinity swings. I have lost a few myself due to alkalinity dropping too low in a short period so this may be part of your problem as well.

Archived