Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

another thread! looking great. pics are awesome!

Thanks! Love your acrylic top, by the way. You need to post more pictures, please :)

Interesting that you mentioned that the color is mostly on "top" of some of your corals. Some people have mentioned that is one of the short comings of LED'S and that's why they run either hybrid T5/LED or all T5'S, for growth and color that is the same throughout all the corals.

Wow, that is cool how the top down pic has lots of color but the side pic does not capture it! Tank is looking great as usual!

I think that's what's going on in this tank - since the light from the Nanobox is concentrated from one small source, most of the light is on the top of the corals. On the other hand, my established acros have color all over, so it's probably just a matter of time. And nitrate control. And luck :)

Loving the sps! Looking good

Thanks, Sk8n!!

• Like 3

New page! Here are some slightly better top down shots. These really show the difference in color from the side shots.

Hermit crab photobombing right in the middle :)

21002839891_86377bb8e3_b.jpgTop Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the same acro I posted on the previous page. This shot is a little more in focus.

20995320285_3328c20679_b.jpg20150828_234222.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the pink lemonade that's a little further down the rock pile, on the far right side in the FTS. The colors are a little funky because of the way the camera did the white balance. In reality it's a little less colorful, and a little more pink and a little less green.

20808515019_173a653646_b.jpg20150828_234157.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've been trying to get a good picture of the back left corner for a while now, but they are always either out of focus or come out with really a really weird color balance. This one is an example of bad color balance. But it does show the curlicue anemone, which is getting bigger and bigger. It's big enough now to steal food from the acans, which is getting to be a little bit of a problem. I'm not sure what to do about it though :(

You can also see my little bubble algae farm. I can't get to these guys because the idaho grape monti above them completely blocks them from above. And like the anemone, they keep getting bigger :o

I think I'm just going to have to break off enough of the monti cap so I can get to them and get them out. I really don't want them to start multiplying.

20806939600_2cc5b85d63_b.jpgMonster Corner by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 6

New page! Here are some slightly better top down shots. These really show the difference in color from the side shots.

Hermit crab photobombing right in the middle :)

21002839891_86377bb8e3_b.jpgTop Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the same acro I posted on the previous page. This shot is a little more in focus.

20995320285_3328c20679_b.jpg20150828_234222.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

This is the pink lemonade that's a little further down the rock pile, on the far right side in the FTS. The colors are a little funky because of the way the camera did the white balance. In reality it's a little less colorful, and a little more pink and a little less green.

20808515019_173a653646_b.jpg20150828_234157.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I've been trying to get a good picture of the back left corner for a while now, but they are always either out of focus or come out with really a really weird color balance. This one is an example of bad color balance. But it does show the curlicue anemone, which is getting bigger and bigger. It's big enough now to steal food from the acans, which is getting to be a little bit of a problem. I'm not sure what to do about it though :(

You can also see my little bubble algae farm. I can't get to these guys because the idaho grape monti above them completely blocks them from above. And like the anemone, they keep getting bigger :o

I think I'm just going to have to break off enough of the monti cap so I can get to them and get them out. I really don't want them to start multiplying.

20806939600_2cc5b85d63_b.jpgMonster Corner by TeenyReef, on Flickr

I love the color of your grape monti it'd be a shame to break it. Do you have a curved syringe or curved forceps that you could use to break them free and then suck up with some airline tubing?

• Like 1

Be happy your lemonade has color,mine has been very pale yellow color since the day I got it. Not to mention it's about a 5mm tall piece lol. Stays encrusting with PE but no color lol.

• Like 1

Nice pics teeny. My curlyque is also getting rather large although I have more room in a 36g than you do in a 10g. He's not really stinging anything in my tank.

• Like 1

Hey...that's a great shot of little Fitzy :wub:. The nice thing about them is even though they are fast, they do stop for a few beats, in between hunting, which makes it easier to get a picture of them :). My leopard wrasse was a real pain to get a photo of! Those guys are hyper lol.

• Like 2

My curlicue is now 3.5-4 inches across. He lives with a ruby mithrax crab in a piece of rock in my fuge. Not sure what he eats in there but he sure is growing.

• Like 1

Yes, my curlique anemone now has 5" long tentacles so if you do anything you'll want to try remove it now. Can you take the rock out and use bone cutters to cut it out?

20150827_194839_zpscsehqlaw.jpg

• Like 1

Your curlicue is so pretty :) But 5" tentacles will be huge in my 10g :scarry:

Hmmm, now I'm really not sure what do about my curlicue. He's deeply embedded in one of the base rocks almost at the very bottom of the rock pile. The only way that rock could come out would be as part of a complete rescape, which I'm not ready to do for a long time.

He's getting plenty of food because I feed the acans, and he can reach them now. So far he doesn't seem to be stinging them, though, so maybe they'll be able to live close together. That's probably just wishful thinking, but since I don't have much choice about it I guess I'll just hope for the best fingerscrossed

Hey...that's a great shot of little Fitzy :wub:. The nice thing about them is even though they are fast, they do stop for a few beats, in between hunting, which makes it easier to get a picture of them :). My leopard wrasse was a real pain to get a photo of! Those guys are hyper lol.

That's funny, mine never stops moving! He hangs out in behind the rocks but makes regular patrols around the front. But when he does, he keeps on the move the whole time. The only time he stops is when he's in back in the dark, where I can't get pictures :(

Such a colorful fish !!! How're in a nano ?! I've always wanted one but figured a 7 gallon would be too small even if it was the only fish.

PSW's are very small, peaceful wrasses. Fitzgerald is only about two inches long. He does just fine in my 10g :)

• Like 2

That's awesome to know,it's such a pretty fish. I may have to try one once I get my 7gallon set up.

You need to post some more Acan shots though :D

• Like 1

That's awesome to know,it's such a pretty fish. I may have to try one once I get my 7gallon set up.

You need to post some more Acan shots though :D

I'll see what I can do tomorrow :)

I love the color of your grape monti it'd be a shame to break it. Do you have a curved syringe or curved forceps that you could use to break them free and then suck up with some airline tubing?

I used stiff (White, not clear) airline tubing to suck out the bubble algae. Poke them until they lose hold and get sucked in

Unfortunately, I really can't get to them with the monti right on top. It grows all the way over to the glass. On the other hand, I've broken off pieces of the monti before and it grows right back.

Be happy your lemonade has color,mine has been very pale yellow color since the day I got it. Not to mention it's about a 5mm tall piece lol. Stays encrusting with PE but no color lol.

Yeah, I'm kind of waiting to see how it colors up but the progress so far is encouraging :)

Water change is done, bubble algae is GONE! omgomgomg

Stiff white air tubing FTW! Harry gets the prize - virtual beer! cheers.gif

Because the tubing had a curve to it and was stiff, I was able to maneuver it under the monticap and work the bubble algae off the rock, and it sucked it right up. Thanks for the suggestion, Harry!

In other news, I also removed the chaeto and shut down the little fuge in the media basket. The chaeto never grows anyway, and the light raises the temperature, and I suspect the trapped debris in the chaeto was producing more nitrates that the chaeto was consuming. Plus it's one less thing to take care of every month.

Finally, I took two of the sexy shrimp out and put them back in the 4g tank. They came to live here when I was concerned they were bothering the zoas in the 4g tank too much. Now the 4g tank needs a cleanup, so back they go.

Finally, Humphrey says "Hi!" Dilbert was too shy to get in the shot...

20835847450_dda00cd5cc_b.jpgHumphrey by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

Love these! You have such creative names, how do come up with them?

Thanks, Yoshii! I can't take credit for the names. Usually I text a picture to my daughter at college and she comes back with a name :)

That's funny, mine never stops moving! He hangs out in behind the rocks but makes regular patrols around the front. But when he does, he keeps on the move the whole time. The only time he stops is when he's in back in the dark, where I can't get pictures :(

He's still a baby. Mine was the same way. Now that he's an adult he's much more chill and hangs out for picture taking :).

• Like 1
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PSW's are very small, peaceful wrasses. Fitzgerald is only about two inches long. He does just fine in my 10g :)

Looks like I'm getting one :)

• Like 2

Good luck finding one! Merthy and I have been looking for monthssssss. But really, hope you can get one, they seem super cool!!

• Like 2
Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Good luck finding one! Merthy and I have been looking for monthssssss. But really, hope you can get one, they seem super cool!!

I have my ways.
  • Like 3

With that bubble algae,be careful if you didn't treat it with anything,it WILL come back,unfortunately. Mine disappeared for like a month and during my water change last night I noticed some. Just a word of caution.

• Like 1

Beautiful looking tank!

Thanks!

He's still a baby. Mine was the same way. Now that he's an adult he's much more chill and hangs out for picture taking :).

Excellent! I'm looking forward to more photo ops :)

Awesome! One of the best fish I know of for a small tank.

Love that wrasse, looks just like my six-line without the glasses...lol

And without the attitude, at least, from what I hear about six lines :)

Yeah, I got mine from liveaquaria after being on the waiting list for about a month. It sucks paying so much including shipping but I ordered a few other things at the same time to make the most of the shipping charge.

With that bubble algae,be careful if you didn't treat it with anything,it WILL come back,unfortunately. Mine disappeared for like a month and during my water change last night I noticed some. Just a word of caution.

Thanks! I may try a little hydrogen peroxide with the next water change just to be safe.
  • Like 1