Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I am still sad about Doug, but happy he had so many friends!

Juniper, our Pink Streaked Wrasse, is so silly. She totally plays hide and seek with us. If i turn my back she comes out and swims all over, but as soon as my head turns she bolts into one of her little spots. She is not shy though when the Reef Frenzy comes out. Little fatty! :happydance:

• Like 2

Juniper, our Pink Streaked Wrasse, is so silly. She totally plays hide and seek with us. If i turn my back she comes out and swims all over, but as soon as my head turns she bolts into one of her little spots. She is not shy though when the Reef Frenzy comes out. Little fatty! :happydance:

That's funny! Love all the different fish! Each has their own personalities. :)

• Like 2

Fitzgerald does the same thing. If I move too quickly he hides, but it doesn't take long for him to come back out, now that the clowns are gone.

O no, not the puffer! I love those little fish, (ok, I love all fish) but I am really sad for you.

I'm so sorry Teeny! :(

That Puffer looked so cool! I Hope u will be able to find another.

Never easy to loose a fish, especially one that is unique and has personality. Hope you find a great replacement.

Thanks, everyone. I'm so glad Doug had so many admirers :)

Now I just need to find Doug the Second :D

Having learned my lesson from a long line of fish that disappear as soon as they go into the tank, I took a couple pictures of the golden assessor while he was still in the specimen box. Most didn't turn out very well, but these were the best I got. Meet Oswald:

29587026680_d0f840f68e_b.jpgOswald by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29587028630_eb3a5ff312_b.jpg20160922-untitled-012.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

The lava lamp mushroom I moved from the ric garden is doing well in the new spot over my the acans. I think it's grown a new mouth, but it's hard to tell with this guy. Also, one of the baby acans is showing a nice rainbow color, so I hope it keeps it as it grows.

29587031080_a6bc0d383b_b.jpgLava Lamp Rhodactis Mushroom by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here are some progress update pictures of the SPS. The pigmentation on the green guy is so weird, it doesn't really match the spots that get more light, and it doesn't match the spots that get less light. I guess I just need to be patient.

29880722025_826c831ccf_b.jpg20160922-untitled-020-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29880723245_a23ab25e90_b.jpg20160922-untitled-021-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 13

I turned the pumps off tonight to do some target feeding and Oswald came out for the first time :)

He moves in fits and starts. So every time I got the camera focused on him and hit the shutter release, I got a lot of this:

29772883542_288bd63002_b.jpg20160923-untitled-018-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

After about fifty pictures later I got this. Lots of food floating in the water :)

29772885102_bb45f33be4_b.jpgGolden Assessor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 12

He's a pretty boy. Hopefully he'll start chillin' a little so you can take the pic you want to take.

I think he will. The lights are just coming up this morning, and he's been out poking around all morning. :)

Sorry to hear about Doug,

But on another note Oswald's colors are stunning, and that lava lamp rhodactis looks soooooooo nice

Thanks! I've always like the lava lamp but I didn't put it in the right spot when I got it. So for the first year it just sat there and stayed very small with hardly any color. When I moved it over into the corner, it perked up right away and started growing fast. It still doesn't have the colors it did when I first got it.

Edit: I just realized I had the wrong name. They're lava flow, not lava lamp. Whatever :lol:

Here's what they looked like to start. They had a lot more vivid red in them, but I think things are headed in the right direction.

16799680655_630858b5d2_b.jpgLava Flow Rhodactus by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Sorry to hear about the puffer. Normally fish can survive a few hours out of the water as long as they are damn, so I reckon it was the impact of the fall.

Yeah, I think so too. Talk about a freak accident :(

Hi Oswald. Welcome to the great blue sea!

Oswald_the_Blue_Octopus.jpg

Oswald says "thank you" :D

Oh damn it. One of the coolest new fishes out there that kept us entertained w/ thoughts of puffers dancing in our heads/reefs. Sorry.

I'm on the hunt for a new one, though!

Sorry to hear about Doug. Oswald tho :wub:

Thanks! I'm really pleased with Oswald. And relieved that he's not dead after disappearing for the first 24 hours :)

Pleased to make your acquaintance, Oswald!

Thanks, Dawn! Hopefully I'll have some better pictures soon :)

• Like 5

I turned the pumps off tonight to do some target feeding and Oswald came out for the first time :)

He moves in fits and starts. So every time I got the camera focused on him and hit the shutter release, I got a lot of this:

29772883542_288bd63002_b.jpg20160923-untitled-018-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

After about fifty pictures later I got this. Lots of food floating in the water :)

29772885102_bb45f33be4_b.jpgGolden Assessor by TeenyReef, on Flickr

YES to Assessors!!!!

My blue assessor is awesome to watch. They certainly have an elegance to them as I'm sure you're seeing.

• Like 3

YES to Assessors!!!!

My blue assessor is awesome to watch. They certainly have an elegance to them as I'm sure you're seeing.

Yes! I love it. He sort of floats in the current like he's surfing. He reminds me of a betta fish, only the water is moving and he manages to stay still. Show off :wub:

• Like 3

Yes! I love it. He sort of floats in the current like he's surfing. He reminds me of a betta fish, only the water is moving and he manages to stay still. Show off :wub:

Surfing! Yes, i could see that!!! Good analogy.

BTW Teeny, I'm actually moving my shallow reef into a nuvo 10 fusion this week - thanks to inspiration from yours. Had some issues with the shallow ADA in the space it was in.

• Like 1

Surfing! Yes, i could see that!!! Good analogy.

BTW Teeny, I'm actually moving my shallow reef into a nuvo 10 fusion this week - thanks to inspiration from yours. Had some issues with the shallow ADA in the space it was in.

I just found your new thread - I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!

Oops, seems I managed to miss out on getting a September FTS! So to make up for it, I have an October FTS, plus a couple of bonus top down shots :)

The tank is doing well, and the zoas have improved significantly since I took out the clowns that were snuggling them to death. Just last night, I also took out two of the vice zoa frags that haven't been doing well, and put them in the IM40 where I expect they will do better. Once they recover I'll move some frags back into this tank.

Oswald, the Golden Assessor, is doing great. He's eating great and comes out all the time now. He's still a little shy and hides whenever he sees me moving, so I haven't gotten any new pictures of him yet. That's a project for next week!

29451504033_feec563c9e_b.jpg2016-10-02 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29783350300_60189a55ca_b.jpg2016-10-02 IM10 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29964353882_d336d6d3fc_b.jpg2016-10-02 IM10 Top Down by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 15
Polarcollision

29611811786_ae0669471f_b.jpg20160912-untitled-015.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

29022353693_495e10329a_b.jpg20160912-untitled-006.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, the Idaho Grape monticap is doing great. It's growing in a really nice spiral together with the green caps. It will be time to start trimming it back again soon!

29022371243_8b0b18421a_b.jpg20160912-untitled-017.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Do you do anything special to get the caps to curl up so nicely? They're really nice together. Love your rics and the chalice too. Beautiful pics! Sorry to hear about the puffer, it was a great fish.

• Like 2

Do you do anything special to get the caps to curl up so nicely? They're really nice together. Love your rics and the chalice too. Beautiful pics! Sorry to hear about the puffer, it was a great fish.

Thanks! I don't really know for sure what makes them do that. They are in an area of fairly high, indirect flow, and they get a lot of light because they're near the top.

When I grew the original idaho grape frag, it was about three inches below it's current location, and it got some shade from the green cap above it. It didn't grow up or scroll very much at all, just outward more like a plate.

Come to think of it, another thing I do is trim them back regularly. Maybe that encourages upward growth from the center. Although I trim the red cap back too, but it doesn't scroll or grow upwards. Hmmmm...

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Thanks! I don't really know for sure what makes them do that. They are in an area of fairly high, indirect flow, and they get a lot of light because they're near the top.

When I grew the original idaho grape frag, it was about three inches below it's current location, and it got some shade from the green cap above it. It didn't grow up or scroll very much at all, just outward more like a plate.

Come to think of it, another thing I do is trim them back regularly. Maybe that encourages upward growth from the center. Although I trim the red cap back too, but it doesn't scroll or grow upwards. Hmmmm...

Right?! Well, I'd be OK with trimming them back often if they look like yours. Thanks for the ideas, I'm still thinking about a plating monti centerpiece...

• Like 1