SaltCritters.com

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I little paint brush treatment with peroxide might work well. I did this to some acans, double rinsed, and returned. This was back when I wasn't so lazy. :) I would do this if you find bubbles coming back in the same spot.

I forgot to mention it in my post, but I did put a drop of hydrogen peroxide on it and left it sitting for a minute or two before rinsing and putting it back in. Great minds think alike :)

• Like 4

I am nervous about transferring bubble algae to my new tank :scarry:. Going to try really hard not to. I'll have to break out the peroxide as well.

• Like 2

Good luck! I've been very fortunate so far. I've seen isolated bubbles in both my tanks, but I've always removed them right away and they only come back here and there months later.

I went to the LFS to get some cheap filter floss. They were out of floss, but this guy was hanging out at the LFS. He came home with me :wub:

18273581792_f97ab3947c_b.jpgNew Tail Spot Blenny by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 13

Good luck! I've been very fortunate so far. I've seen isolated bubbles in both my tanks, but I've always removed them right away and they only come back here and there months later.

I went to the LFS to get some cheap filter floss. They were out of floss, but this guy was hanging out at the LFS. He came home with me :wub:

:wub: so much better than filter floss :lol:

• Like 1

Nice find

• Like 1

Cute little guy! Thinking about another for my fusion...

That or bangaii, or clown goby, or pipefish. Still trying to find a pink streaked wrasse too...

• Like 2

Woo hoooo!!! I think Tailspots are now one of my favorite fish. The colors and personalities are so awesome. I was watching one at the LFS last week.

• Like 3

It feels great to be back in the TSB club. Thanks everyone :flower: I can't wait to get him in the display tank but he needs to chill in the quarantine tank for a few weeks.

Beautiful! That is a tailspot goby?

Are they jumpers? :lol:

Thanks! He's a tail spot blenny. They tend to find a little hole in the rock or a shell to hang out in, but they come out and explore all the time, especially at feeding time. They're not jumpers, at least in my experience.

• Like 3

I sold the two starfish (red brittle and harlequin serpent) to a local reefer. They've just grown too large for this little tank. They don't eat corals or fish, and I'm pretty sure they don't eat the snails, but none of the corals can get a decent meal because as soon as I feed them one of the starfish comes over and sucks everything up.

It wasn't easy catching them. I tried making a trap like I used to catch the emerald crab, but it didn't work for the starfish. I really didn't want to take the rocks apart because they're all glued together and I know I'd never get them back together the right way. So I drained all but about an inch of water from the tank and turned out most of the lights in the room. Then I used a couple flashlights to light up the spots under the rocks where they hide so that they'd move out away from the light. After a little poking and prodding with tongs, they came out from under the rocks so that I could grab them.

• Like 1

It's amazing how much these guys grew in just six months. Here's the picture I posted on the day I got them. The heater in the picture is about 4" long, so the starfish were about 2" from one end to the other.

18374361561_16f37bfb63_b.jpgBaby Starfish by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Here they are in the bucket after I caught them tonight. The red brittle can probably stretch about 9" now :o

18372787495_1c2c2fbd40_b.jpgAll Grown Up by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Good to know! I was thinking about getting a starfish for my fusion, but it would probably grow too big rather quickly. And since I'm putting mostly corals that will need to be target fed once or twice a week I don't need any greedy arms coming out to play!

• Like 2

So I just found out I won a free AI Hydra 26 in a contest over on Aquaticlog!

I have no idea what I will do with it, though. I don't think the color/LED selection is quite as good as my Nanobox lights. But it might work better than my Coral Compulsion PAR30 lamp that's on the frag tank. Or I could use it as a temporary light on this tank while I get the current Nanobox upgraded.

Ideas?

Good to know! I was thinking about getting a starfish for my fusion, but it would probably grow too big rather quickly. And since I'm putting mostly corals that will need to be target fed once or twice a week I don't need any greedy arms coming out to play!

Yep, they did great when they were small but they grew up in a hurry :)

I went over to see the new starfish home - a 220g tank that's been running for years and doing great with a nice mix of softies, SPS, gorgonians, etc., with 22 fish. The owner is running a relatively small sump and no skimmer. Instead he has reactors for carbon, GFO, nitrate reduction, and calcium. The calcium reactor takes care of alk and calcium, and he doesn't dose anything else at all. It was a great example of how to run a big tank with relatively little maintenance.

• Like 7
HarryPotter

So I just found out I won a free AI Hydra 26 in a contest over on Aquaticlog!

I have no idea what I will do with it, though. I don't think the color/LED selection is quite as good as my Nanobox lights. But it might work better than my Coral Compulsion PAR30 lamp that's on the frag tank. Or I could use it as a temporary light on this tank while I get the current Nanobox upgraded.

Ideas?

Give it to me? :lol:

• Like 1

I love TSBs. They are the coolest little fish. I hope to get one someday as a replacement but right now all my fish are going strong.

I also had to re-home a beautiful red brittle starfish that grew too big. I was sad to see it go though.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Ha, those are the same starfish I bought for my 60g but the red one is now in my Evolve 8 and the harlequin is in the fuge of the 34 while the 60 has to be put back together. My red one is growing slowly but the harlequin is growing fast. Stinks you had to give them away.

• Like 2

These are all great ideas for the new light. I think I'll keep it over the frag tank for now, and see how the colors of the frags change. Right now they are mostly pale, but I'm not sure if it's because of the lighting or because of the low nutrients.

I took a few pictures tonight, including an FTS, but some of the corals were still a bit closed up because I stirred up the sand and fed them earlier.

Here's the FTS:

18483880086_e247518f48_b.jpgFTS: June 5, 2015 by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 8