Top Shelf Aquatics

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

What do you control/monitor with your apex jr?

I actually just switched to an Apex Lite - I need to update my equipment list on page 1. But the only difference is that now I have a Ph probe. I have a four outlet and an eight outlet energy bar with it, and I use it to control:

Return pump

Heater

MP10 (just power on/off, I use Reeflink to control the modes)

ATO

Skimmer

Light (just power on/off - the Bluefish app controls the channels)

Fan (a small 12v computer fan that blows across the back chambers for cooling)

BRS dosers for Calcium, Alk, NoPox, and Acropower (in the near future, I haven't filled the bottle yet)

• Like 1

I actually just switched to an Apex Lite - I need to update my equipment list on page 1. But the only difference is that now I have a Ph probe. I have a four outlet and an eight outlet energy bar with it, and I use it to control:

Return pump

Heater

MP10 (just power on/off, I use Reeflink to control the modes)

ATO

Skimmer

Light (just power on/off - the Bluefish app controls the channels)

Fan (a small 12v computer fan that blows across the back chambers for cooling)

BRS dosers for Calcium, Alk, NoPox, and Acropower (in the near future, I haven't filled the bottle yet)

How exactly do you control the ATO? I thought tunze ATO automatically turn on/off depending on water level.

• Like 1

How exactly do you control the ATO? I thought tunze ATO automatically turn on/off depending on water level.

I just use the Apex to turn it on of off. The Tunze controller automatically fills whenever the water level gets low, which is a bad thing when you're doing a water change :)

• Like 1

I just use the Apex to turn it on of off. The Tunze controller automatically fills whenever the water level gets low, which is a bad thing when you're doing a water change :)

Ohh ok. I never thought about the water change trouble it could bring. Thanks for answer my questions haha

• Like 1

Ohh ok. I never thought about the water change trouble it could bring. Thanks for answer my questions haha

No problem and feel free to ask questions any time!

I took an updated FTS tonight. There's nothing really new here, but I was just not that happy with the way the FTS turned out for the TOTM pictures. This one is a quick shot with the pumps on and only the clowns swimming around, but I held the camera at a higher angle above the tank, which helped reduce some of the glare off the tops of the corals. I like the colors and the clarity of this picture a lot better.

29078439705_2d9a105471_b.jpg2016-08-18 IM10 FTS by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Your montis are ridiculous...love the acan garden and also the ridorea garden too

Did you ever run the BRS dosers just using timers?

I never tried to. In this tank I have to adjust the dosing time in small increments, like changing for 35 seconds to 40 seconds per dose. But in a bigger tank with dosing times measured in minutes, you could use timers.

Your montis are ridiculous...love the acan garden and also the ridorea garden too

Thanks! I think the tank actually looks better now than when I took the TOTM pics. The acans are fluffier and the zoas are doing better. Now I just need to get the acros to color up!

Everything lookin great as usual. How is the puffer doing, has he nipped at anything yet?

He's doing great! He is still leaving all the corals alone, but he will carefully pick things off the rocks in between the corals. Maybe it's because he's so small, but I still have plenty of snails left too, which is surprising since everything I read said he'd go to town on snails.

So far he doesn't seem to be eating vermetid snails, but he might be eating the baby ones when they're really small. Time will tell.

The puffer is so cute! :wub:

Thanks - he's become my favorite fish in this tank.

I got up this morning to find the air conditioning wasn't working, and the A/C guy can't even come until Monday :(

I checked temps in all three tanks. The frag tank is OK, probably because it has an airstone skimmer and no powerhead, so the return pump doesn't heat it up too much. And the IM40 is OK so far, probably because with more water it just takes longer to heat up.

But the temp in this tank has been rising ever since the A/C went out and it's at 81.5 now. So I hooked up a bigger fan in place of the little computer fan in hopes that it will evaporate enough water to keep things cool. If this doesn't work I'll have to freeze some water bottles and float them, which will be a pain to keep up on over the next 3+ days.

28959521470_ca39728158_b.jpg20160826_132042.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 1

I have a tower fan ready to cool the tank down at all times.

Yep! I've found fans can do a remarkably good job keeping tanks cool as long as they can blow on the water to make it evaporate.

But I need to run out and get one for the 40g because I only have this one. :blush:

Why not take some tank water, freeze it, and drop a few cubes in every few hours?

That's a good idea, too. I'm hoping to avoid anything that requires me getting up every few hours all night long for the next several days. Hopefully fans will keep it under control.

• Like 3

Twenty minutes after hooking up the bigger fan, the temp is down to 81.2 from a high of 81.6. So I think this tank will be OK. I just need to go get another fan for the IM40 now.

• Like 3

I got up this morning to find the air conditioning wasn't working, and the A/C guy can't even come until Monday :(

I checked temps in all three tanks. The frag tank is OK, probably because it has an airstone skimmer and no powerhead, so the return pump doesn't heat it up too much. And the IM40 is OK so far, probably because with more water it just takes longer to heat up.

But the temp in this tank has been rising ever since the A/C went out and it's at 81.5 now. So I hooked up a bigger fan in place of the little computer fan in hopes that it will evaporate enough water to keep things cool. If this doesn't work I'll have to freeze some water bottles and float them, which will be a pain to keep up on over the next 3+ days.

28959521470_ca39728158_b.jpg20160826_132042.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

BOO! No Bueno. Good luck keeping it chill.

• Like 1

BOO! No Bueno. Good luck keeping it chill.

Thanks! It's down to 80.7 already so I think it will be fine with just the fan.

Fortunately our house has dual units and the upstairs unit is working fine. So things aren't too bad downstairs.

• Like 2

This is awesome! Although I saw red with some of the comments. Love Ben's comment.

Thanks, Rachel! Although I didn't really think the comments were too much off base. There is a lot of shade under the caps, and nothing grows there, which is why I recently put the chalices and the sun corals in those spots. And based on that, it's fair to say some of the corals were recently added :)

And I agree five fish is a lot for a 10g tank. Not recommended for beginners, that's for sure. I have to really stay on top of tank husbandry and supplement the carbon/gfo with NoPox to keep nutrients down.

If I can ever get the RBTA to settle in to the 40g tank, I'm going to move the clowns over there. They are starting to get a little big for this tank, and the poor zoas get the worst of it when they try to snuggle them to death :lol:

• Like 3

Thanks, Rachel! Although I didn't really think the comments were too much off base. There is a lot of shade under the caps, and nothing grows there, which is why I recently put the chalices and the sun corals in those spots. And based on that, it's fair to say some of the corals were recently added :)

And I agree five fish is a lot for a 10g tank. Not recommended for beginners, that's for sure. I have to really stay on top of tank husbandry and supplement the carbon/gfo with NoPox to keep nutrients down.

If I can ever get the RBTA to settle in to the 40g tank, I'm going to move the clowns over there. They are starting to get a little big for this tank, and the poor zoas get the worst of it when they try to snuggle them to death :lol:

:lol: dammit! I want to flame those people though!

You're so logical.

• Like 2

I did have to make one comment though that the guy said about you recently just placing those corals in there. I couldn't help myself.

• Like 2
jedimasterben

Why not take some tank water, freeze it, and drop a few cubes in every few hours?

There won't be nearly as much energy transfer that way, the fan above could probably remove 3-400 watts of heat per hour, a standard sized ice cube would probably only cool 5 watts or so.

• Like 2

There won't be nearly as much energy transfer that way, the fan above could probably remove 3-400 watts of heat per hour, a standard sized ice cube would probably only cool 5 watts or so.

Yeah, what he said B)

I did have to make one comment though that the guy said about you recently just placing those corals in there. I couldn't help myself.

I'm glad you've got my back!

After 2 1/2 hours, the temp is down to 79.4.

• Like 1