Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fish recommendations for a 3 foot tank

jabeuy

So I currently have a 36g tank with a 36" x 18" footprint.

I have 2 occelaris clowns and a 6-line wrasse in it right now.

Any suggestions on rounding out the stocking? I'm looking for something colorful (blue, red or yellow) and isn't shy.

I've seen some nice tanks on here with tangs in 2 foot cubes. Would some kind of baby tang be alright in there if I plan to move it to a much much bigger tank within a year?

Royal gramma and springers damsel are both great reef fish. Neither are shy, the gramma possibly a little, but both are peaceful and active. This and the talbots damsel are 2 f the only peaceful damsels besides clownfish. Assessor basslets are a bit smaller but also great community reef fish.

This tang question gets beat up quite a bit. Most of the time someone plans on upgrading but it doesn't materialize and they're stuck with a stunted fish. Realistically I think a kole / bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus) is fine in that size tank, not a chevron though. I think a yellow or scopas would be fine as well, provided you have legitimate plans on upgrading. They like to swim a lot more than the kole / bristletooth tangs.

Royal gramma and springers damsel are both great reef fish. Neither are shy, the gramma possibly a little, but both are peaceful and active. This and the talbots damsel are 2 f the only peaceful damsels besides clownfish. Assessor basslets are a bit smaller but also great community reef fish.

This tang question gets beat up quite a bit. Most of the time someone plans on upgrading but it doesn't materialize and they're stuck with a stunted fish. Realistically I think a kole / bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus) is fine in that size tank, not a chevron though. I think a yellow or scopas would be fine as well, provided you have legitimate plans on upgrading. They like to swim a lot more than the kole / bristletooth tangs.

I have the royal gramma on my shortlist for it's colors. My 6-line gets lost against the rockwork since it's small, so I want something that pops lol. Good to know that the springeri is peaceful. Wasn't even on my radar since the damsels I see at the stores are such bullies.

Thanks for not grilling me about the tangs :D Haha

After seeing a handful of them in tank of the months, I'm seriously considering a kole or yellow tang now. Moreso the yellow, cause the kole isn't as colorful haha. But yeah, plans for a larger tank are legit

The yellow eye kole is a super nice fish. Pictures often show it as brown, but it's usually more of a deep reddish purple with a bright yellow eye, so it definitely stands out more than a 2 spot or tomini. But still not quite as bright as a yellow tang.

The yellow eye kole is a super nice fish. Pictures often show it as brown, but it's usually more of a deep reddish purple with a bright yellow eye, so it definitely stands out more than a 2 spot or tomini. But still not quite as bright as a yellow tang.

Have you had any experience with a kole? I read somewhere that it can change colors slightly, so if I buy it more purple it might turn brown after a while haha.

Took a look at your 90P thread, and that damsel looks really cool.

Here are some neat fish I have had in my 3 foot 65g, not all at once but over the years

Flame Hawkfish

Yellow Coris Wrasse

Pink Spot Goby

Aurora Goby

Orange Spot Blenny

McCosker's Wrasse

Springeri Damsel (thing was super bright blue and awesome)

Mystery Wrasse

Purple firefish

orchid dottyback

Midas Blenny

I can recommend the above. I have had plenty of others I don't recommend lol

Archived