Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Green algae question

tentacruelz

Hi, I've got a 12g NC thats been running for just over 2 weeks now. Just got through the diatom bloom has ended and now I'm getting quite a bit of green algae. When i get home from work theres like a thin layer on the glass and a bit on the rocks. I'm sure its no big deal but today I noticed its kinda accumulating on top of the water. I'm just wondering if its anything to worry about or if there is anything I can do about it

ph - 8.0-8.2

amonia - 0

nitrite - 0

nitrate around 5ppm

Here you can kinda see some of it on top of the water

post-86196-0-98644600-1415736370_thumb.jpg

It's microalgae and that means it is time to get a clean up crew if you don't already have one and do your first water change. This is totally normal and a part of your tank maturing. Microalgae is eaten by your snails and they will make quick work of it. Keep your nutrients under control and you will have nothing to worry about.

As for the stuff on the surface, using some sort of mechanical filtration such as filter floss or a skimmer will take care of that.

Phosphate is usually more of a factor with algae growth than nitrate. It's nice to have a good low range phosphate kit to monitor your tank's levels. While algae is part of any healthy reef tank (and is especially common when just starting out), excessive growth can be an indicator that phosphate levels are getting high. With some experience, it's often possible to observe higher levels of nutrients via algae growth.

Phosphate is usually more of a factor with algae growth than nitrate. It's nice to have a good low range phosphate kit to monitor your tank's levels. While algae is part of any healthy reef tank (and is especially common when just starting out), excessive growth can be an indicator that phosphate levels are getting high. With some experience, it's often possible to observe higher levels of nutrients via algae growth.

Ill pick up a test kit for phosphate, that was on my list of things to get anyways… If phosphate is high, what are some ways to get it down?

Ill pick up a test kit for phosphate, that was on my list of things to get anyways… If phosphate is high, what are some ways to get it down?

GFO, phosguard, Macroalgae... ect

Tank is so young though... this is expected. Microalgae will always be in the tank but become less noticeable as coralline algae, ect start taking up space.

It's when you start seeing GHA, bryopsis, ect that you need to worry.

Get like 2 turbo snails. I have one in my 10 gallon and he takes care of it for me. he does a pretty good job. Im in pretty much the same stage as you right now with my ten... Just a little after the green algae phase

The green algae is subsiding. I also upgraded my CUC the other day... I currently have 3 astraea snails, 4 creith, 2 nassarius, 2 bumble bee, 4 hermits and an emerald crab. Tested phosphate and it's at zero so I think my algae will be completely gone shortly. Water changes also helped out big time

Archived