Coral Vue Hydros

SoggyNW Cube Master 12

SoggyNW

I've been wanting to set up a Nano reef for a few years now and the stars have finally aligned right so here we go.

This is going to be a learning tank so who knows where it will end up. Right now the plan is to get it through the cycle and then very slowly make my way through adding the cleanup crew, maybe a fish, and some soft corals. Assuming that all goes well maybe I'll upgrade my lighting if necessary and try some LPS. I'm not in any hurry to really do anything, right now I'm enjoying finding new things on the live rock and I'm going to take my sweet time adding and enjoying everything.

So onto what we already have setup

The tank is a 12g Cube Master that I found at the thrift store for $20. Everything on it works fine but I decided to ditch the hood because A. it blocked my ATO and heater, and B I already had my par38 LED from a previous false start at this last year. But the lights in the hood do work.

The light is a 12watt ABI par 38. I've read good and bad about it so I'm giving the cheap light option a chance and I'll keep everyone posted on what I think. TIP, for a naked par 38 bulb. go to the hardware store and buy the trim piece for a 6" recessed light. that's the white part on mine, it makes for a nice light shade without blocking the flow of air through the heat sink.

The heater is a Eheim Jager 50w which might be replaced soon. It is holding steady but the temp is almost 10 degrees off of what it says it's set at even after adjusting true temp dial.

20141110_185839_HDR_zpsb6531247.jpg

The ATO is my own spin on the tea jar ATO. I actually came up with it mostly in my head and only when I went looking did I find out someone had already done it. Anyway the other tea jar ATO is decent but I've improved on it some. The blue valves that you see in the intake and outlet allow me to control it in a way that wasn't doable with the original plans. the valve on the outlet allows for control of the drip rate and also lets you shut the outlet for refilling. the valve on the air intake allows for the regulation of pressure release partially maintaining the low pressure inside the jar allowing less water to be released when the vacuum is broken. It also prevents water from being carried into the jar by the rushing air bubble when the vacuum breaks. the over all effect is that the ATO releases less water more frequently than the original and maintains a more steady water level. also being able to shut it down with the valves makes maintenance easier.

20141110_193609_zps7aea4997.jpg

The live rock is what I'm really excited about. If you live in the Seattle area, Jones and Company Pets in Marysville is closing and has all their marine live stock 60% off. I picked up 13lb of Fiji live rock for $3.20/lb. so far I've found 3 kinds of feather dusters, bristle cage worms, a clam, a limpet, collinista snails, lots of pods, and unfortunately 3 aiptasia
20141110_185827_HDR_zpsa50c324e.jpg

The purple feather duster is a little bigger than a quarter. Directly up and to the right of the white feather duster you can see my clam.

20141110_185754_zps3ba76bd8.jpg

One of the Bristle cage worms. He's right next to the purple feather duster.

DSC_9367_zpscfd98e51.jpg

I have 3 of these Aiptasias that came in on the rock. I'm planning on using the lemon juice method but I haven't been able to get a syringe yet. Any advice on these is welcome, I want to nip them now while everything is new and under control.

DSC_9376_zpsf0d96b10.jpg

Other than that I added a bit of food to my tank and the cycle seems to have started . Not much to report there other than a very small increase in ammonia.

I'm gonna try and keep this thread updated at least once a week. stay tuned for more reef newbie fun.

So after a little research I decided to go with the lemon juice method for killing the aiptasia. None of the drug stores in my area would give me a hypodermic needle so I used a baby med syringe with so airline hose to squirt them in the "face". And boy did it appear to work well, the bigger aiptasia shriveled like styrophome over a flame and the tiny ones couldn't even be seen. I hit them for the first time about an hour before I left for the weekend so I'm curious to see if any survived. I'll update when I get home Sunday evening.

Question though. What does lemon juice do to the water chemistry of the aquarium? I only used 2-3ml but how much is to much?

Another question. I have a 50w. Eihem Hager heater that is fluctuating 6+ degrees. I can't return it but I might be able to get it warrantied. What ever I do I'll need a new heater for my tank. I bought this on based on reading forums but I haven't been happy with it so which other heater do you guys recommend?

• 3 weeks later...

So a few new things. I believe that my cycle is finishing up. Ammonia has been gone for over a week, nitrites are dropping off and nitrates are building. I'm starting to think cleanup crew and I've been reading up on that and shopping around, looks like reef cleaners is going to be the place to go for that.

On a sad note however the pests are out in full force. I was hoping to get lots of life on my live rock, and I got it it seems in a bad way. First up Bryopsis, pretty much 100% sure that is what I've got here, from what I've read Tech M is the best shot at getting rid of it so I've got some coming in the mail.

Is Tech M creature safe or should I hold off on the cleanup crew while I dose the tank?

20141202_215114_zps272fe085.jpg

Second up, actually I'm not sure if this is good or bad. what is the brown fuzzy stuff crowing on my rocks?

20141202_215218_zps5161b8bb.jpg

Third up Hydroids. I've got about a thousand of these little guys on my glass and more growing on my rock. will they take care of themselves or do I need to take some sort of action on them. is there something I should be including in my cleanup crew that helps with their control? on the plus side the hydroids I have growing on my rocks are vivid neon green so if they take over they aren't ugly

DSC_93912_zps3ff140af.jpg

DSC_93892_zps3002a94c.jpg

Lastly. this is a bristle worm right? I know where he hangs out, kill it keep it.....?

DSC_93872_zps38b4fd7b.jpg

Thanks guys, this forum has been a huge inspiration and a ton of fun to surf around. Every day I'm finding some new thread to read that's full of good info I need.

Archived