Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fusion 20 & 2.5. Finally new stuff!

FlamingPrawn

From the pictures and your description I would guess it's just a diatom bloom.

Usually they'll go away by themselves but you can try sucking out as much as you can for manual removal, also certain snails will eat them.

this thread has good info on most nuisance algae and how to deal with it:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/186736-nuisance-algae-guide/

I did take out my macroAlgae recently as it was taking over... Wondering if that had anything to do with the imbalance? I also don't have any snails minus the 2 asteas. Maybe? 2 hermits. Might go invent in 3 nassarius to see if that helps & another small powerhead

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright needed an update as it's been a stressful week. Got a clam for free... and everything spiraled down hill faster than I could react

Algae outbreak was unbearable, all my SPS closed up tightly. and the clam melted away within 4 days.

Tests were as followed:

Calc: 450

Alk 7.0

Mag 1300

pH: 7.9

Nitrate 0

Ammonia .25 :(

So after these SHOCKING changes... the blenny has since been rehomed to a bigger tank, a 25% water change was done and time to sit back and monitor slowly. Lesson learned and a 5" blenny in a 6 gallon tank was just too much for the bioload to handle.

On a positive note LEAR is this month :) already have 2 frags of rasta zoos & a red dragon Acro reserved!

Also, my surprises came in I'll post pictures of them tomorrow

• 1 month later...
FlamingPrawn

Well the 6 gallon has been decommissioned. Everything besides my Clown Goby has been sold. He now resides in a 2.5 gallon with an Ebay par30 bulb and some live rock. This is going to be a softy only. Xenia, GSP, mushrooms. All stuff I can't kill haha.

Also, picked up a Fusion 20, sicce syncra 1.5, 25 lbs of fiji rock from BRS, new sand, 2X Media baskets, IM Desktop Ghost skimmer, new salt, and still trying to locate a couple things... Going to do this tank 100% right and no more cutting corners!

Still looking for: Tunze Nano ATO, some type of light??? xr15w or BML20000k, and an IM mini reactor. This tank is going to be what the lady wants...everything I pick never works out haha.

Leaving for Jamaica on Weds and will be taking the GoPro. I'll take pictures/videos and bring back some cool stuff hopefully. I'll post pictures of the itty bitty 2.5 tomorrow and I'll see everyone in a week!

• 3 weeks later...
FlamingPrawn

Things have changed indeed these past couple months. The Fusion 20 is up and running cycling as we speak. The 2.5 is up and going and has the yellow clown goby, xenia, rainbow zoos, blastos, and green toadstool in it. I will be getting plenty of pictures once the Prime arrives this week :) Decided to not cut any corners this tank around and wanted to do things right.

Girlfriend is very set on a "symbiotic" tank set up. clowns and an anemone. sexy shrimp with their own mini maxi. yasha goby with a pistol, pom pom crab, and any other we can think of.

Also, Jamaica was AMAZING and I have plenty of pictures to share.

FlamingPrawn

Nice start. Will follow.

Thanks! :) I've def learned from the 6 gallon mistakes... i'll make sure I post the Prime update as soon as it gets here. Been wary since many are saying the mount is terrible and its a "cheap" plastic... we'll see

FlamingPrawn

Woo update!

AI PRIME IS AWESOME! yes it does sag... but i don't think it bothers me that much... Here are pics.

Clean up crew and possible my pair of clowns since this guys been going for about 4 weeks strong.

Skimmer has been turned on, and the reactor will have GFO within a month or so.

utTTYO1l.jpg

ihdhFaZl.jpg

SouthFlorida_Tron

Looks good. Pfffft. Sag? You should see mine. It's literally tilted inwards. I'm waiting for a larger ball nut as they supposedly had a mishap with some being a touch smaller

FlamingPrawn

Looks good. Pfffft. Sag? You should see mine. It's literally tilted inwards. I'm waiting for a larger ball nut as they supposedly had a mishap with some being a touch smaller

Are they going to make this part available on the website? If yo look on here someone had a "quick fix". If you wrap a rubber band around it before you put it through the hold and screw it to the light it helps keep the ball nut from going into the socket

FlamingPrawn

Well the tank's been cycling and the clean up crew has been in doing its thing.

Tested the water & did a 2 gallon WC the other day, skimmer has broken in, and changed all the filter pads.

Figured it's time to bring the Mr. and Mrs. home finally :wub:

LFHBZXol.jpg

FlamingPrawn

Mini Victory... Clowns are eating like total bosses! So Saturday is TidalGardens live sale :) I'll be helping with the camera work and possibly answering questions during the chat! Hopefully I get some goodies for helping out.

www.tidalgardens.com please check it out!

FlamingPrawn

Beautiful setup! Glad to see you keep on with the tank after the previous failures. Will follow :)

Thanks. Yeah I learned from my mistakes... mistakes were as follows:

1. Try to cut corners and be cheap in areas I couldn't

2. Adding a bunch of coral at once DOES effect the water quality

3. Get an adjustable light on a smaller tank... easier to adjust coral depending

4. Filtration is #1. Don't skimp on it. Either do your big WC's or invest in a skimmer / reactor.

Other than that this tank has been great. the Clowns have yet to realize how big the tank is so I'm hoping they'll start to explore as time goes on.

I see people making the same mistakes you have made over and over again. I haven't even started my reef tank yet. I have been lurking on here for long time now and just recently made an account. I plan to fill my nanocube up next month to start it going! I have been trying to gather as much info as possible.

I see people making the same mistakes you have made over and over again. I haven't even started my reef tank yet. I have been lurking on here for long time now and just recently made an account. I plan to fill my nanocube up next month to start it going! I have been trying to gather as much info as possible.

Is that a Champion Citabria or an old Aeronca Champ in your Avatar

Neither! Its a 180HP Super Decathlon. Flies upside down as well as it does right side up! I leaned to fly in a Aeronca Champ though. Thats me flying the plane in the picture, a photographer managed to get the shot of me flying down the runway with my fiancee in the back

10418427_10205891038864452_8444221728813

FlamingPrawn

Neither! Its a 180HP Super Decathlon. Flies upside down as well as it does right side up! I leaned to fly in a Aeronca Champ though. Thats me flying the plane in the picture, a photographer managed to get the shot of me flying down the runway with my fiancee in the back

10418427_10205891038864452_8444221728813

Very Cool!

• 2 weeks later...

How's the prime doing? I'm getting one for my Nuvo 16 and this is the closest i've seen to my tank in dimensions for the prime..

Great looking clown pair. Awesome to hear they are eating and thriving so early.

Can't wait to get a pair in mine. Good luck!

FlamingPrawn

How's the prime doing? I'm getting one for my Nuvo 16 and this is the closest i've seen to my tank in dimensions for the prime..

Prime is GREAT! I recently added:

Rose BTA

FrogSkin Acropora

Alien-Eye Acan

Blastos

I am seeing great extension on the Acro. Blasto's are looking great. Alien eye is keeping its color and super fat. BTA is settled nicely and super bubbly. I'll see if I can get some pictures up here shortly

FlamingPrawn

Here's the pics:

Alien Eye Acan

qHpSvc0l.jpg

Rose BTA

J1xldhpl.jpg

FrogSkin Acro

7B1r6O8l.jpg

Granted these are iPhone pics :( I gotta get a better camera dangit

Looking real good. Let's see another FTS of this beauty. Also, have you played with the control options of the prime such as sunrise/sunset and storm mode?

Archived