Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

20LogR's Custom PicO + Retro ATI BTA Tank

20logR

Hello All,

I've been lurking for some time now, and wanted to start a thread to showcase some amazing work by the NR sponsors, and as a thank you to all the members for providing quality information. This is my second tank, but my first nano tank. I started my first reef tank earlier this year, but really wanted something on a smaller scale for my office at home. I spend a lot of time in there and wanted a nice distraction from staring at the computer screen for hours. I had already decided that this would be a Bubble tip only tank, I just needed to sort out the how.

After doing some extensive research, it was clear to me that while the IM nano sizes appealed to me, I wasn't willing to accept the risk of catastrophic failure while I'm away on travel, or destroying any of the computer equipment. Most importantly it gave me an excuse to look into custom tanks to meet my needs.

My first hurdle was flow. I knew that I wanted to maintain good random flow for the BTA's but I wanted to keep any and all powerhead blenders out of the tank. If I lost a BTA to a MP10 it could really foul the small water volume in a hurry. This meant that all my flow in the tank would have to come from the return pump(s). I settled on a pair of sea-swirl returns, but that also meant that I couldn't use a standard AIO returns plumbed through the wall of the AIO section as most AIO tanks are.

I contacted PicO aquariums because I had read amazing reviews, and Chris did not disappoint! I sent him a drawing of what I had in mind for the AIO section, the max dimensions that would fit the space on my desk and he went to work. I threw a handful of crazy requirements at him and he never had issues accommodating my requests. I wanted large enough return sections to fit most nano sized return pumps with ease, and space to fit a skimmer and media reactor if and when I need them down the road. Right now I have about 500GPH flow through the returns and the overflow handles that with ease.

Actual tank dims are 28Lx18Wx16H with a 28Lx14Wx16H viewing area.

IMG_2118_zps6dad9735.jpg

Here's the AIO section layout

ken_zps2a2cf3ae.png

FTS - 11/10/14

IMG_2147_zpsc0927b42.jpg

Lighting was a more difficult decision. I was toying with the idea of LED/T5 hybrid on and off until I saw the first Retro ATI build here on the NR forums. I quickly contacted Nano Box and started working out a plan. Original plan was to retro a ATI 6 Bulb fixture that I had picked up locally, but ultimately decided to sell that fixture and go with a brand new 4 bulb ATI instead. The new light should be here any day now.

Equipment:

DT: 32 Gal(ish) Custom PicO 28L x 18W x 16H

Return Pump: (2) Sicce Silent 1.0

Circulation: (2) 1/2" Sea-Swirl Returns

Heater: Cobalt Aquatics 100w

Lighting: Nano Box ATI Retro w/ Storm

Skimmer: CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite (planned)

Media Reactor: ?

Filtration: Not sure here, probably lots of carbon for starters

Rock: Live Marco rocks from my main DT sump

Sand: 15 lbs CaribSea Tahitian Moon

Tank has been running for 2 weeks now, and a pretty much nonexistent cycle as expected. Clowns will go in shortly after QT and then I'll monitor conditions until I think Its ready for a few Bubble tips.

Livestock:

(2) Widebar Mocha Ocellaris

You may recognize this little fellow from the ERC live sale. ERC is local to me, I was able to pick him up this past weekend.

IMG_2151_zps8e90aead.jpg

Thanks for looking

20LogR

• 5 months later...

Hello All,

I've been lurking for some time now, and wanted to start a thread to showcase some amazing work by the NR sponsors, and as a thank you to all the members for providing quality information. This is my second tank, but my first nano tank. I started my first reef tank earlier this year, but really wanted something on a smaller scale for my office at home. I spend a lot of time in there and wanted a nice distraction from staring at the computer screen for hours. I had already decided that this would be a Bubble tip only tank, I just needed to sort out the how.

After doing some extensive research, it was clear to me that while the IM nano sizes appealed to me, I wasn't willing to accept the risk of catastrophic failure while I'm away on travel, or destroying any of the computer equipment. Most importantly it gave me an excuse to look into custom tanks to meet my needs.

My first hurdle was flow. I knew that I wanted to maintain good random flow for the BTA's but I wanted to keep any and all powerhead blenders out of the tank. If I lost a BTA to a MP10 it could really foul the small water volume in a hurry. This meant that all my flow in the tank would have to come from the return pump(s). I settled on a pair of sea-swirl returns, but that also meant that I couldn't use a standard AIO returns plumbed through the wall of the AIO section as most AIO tanks are.

I contacted PicO aquariums because I had read amazing reviews, and Chris did not disappoint! I sent him a drawing of what I had in mind for the AIO section, the max dimensions that would fit the space on my desk and he went to work. I threw a handful of crazy requirements at him and he never had issues accommodating my requests. I wanted large enough return sections to fit most nano sized return pumps with ease, and space to fit a skimmer and media reactor if and when I need them down the road. Right now I have about 500GPH flow through the returns and the overflow handles that with ease.

Actual tank dims are 28Lx18Wx16H with a 28Lx14Wx16H viewing area.

IMG_2118_zps6dad9735.jpg

Here's the AIO section layout

ken_zps2a2cf3ae.png

FTS - 11/10/14

IMG_2147_zpsc0927b42.jpg

Lighting was a more difficult decision. I was toying with the idea of LED/T5 hybrid on and off until I saw the first Retro ATI build here on the NR forums. I quickly contacted Nano Box and started working out a plan. Original plan was to retro a ATI 6 Bulb fixture that I had picked up locally, but ultimately decided to sell that fixture and go with a brand new 4 bulb ATI instead. The new light should be here any day now.

Equipment:

DT: 32 Gal(ish) Custom PicO 28L x 18W x 16H

Return Pump: (2) Sicce Silent 1.0

Circulation: (2) 1/2" Sea-Swirl Returns

Heater: Cobalt Aquatics 100w

Lighting: Nano Box ATI Retro w/ Storm

Skimmer: CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite (planned)

Media Reactor: ?

Filtration: Not sure here, probably lots of carbon for starters

Rock: Live Marco rocks from my main DT sump

Sand: 15 lbs CaribSea Tahitian Moon

Tank has been running for 2 weeks now, and a pretty much nonexistent cycle as expected. Clowns will go in shortly after QT and then I'll monitor conditions until I think Its ready for a few Bubble tips.

Livestock:

(2) Widebar Mocha Ocellaris

You may recognize this little fellow from the ERC live sale. ERC is local to me, I was able to pick him up this past weekend.

IMG_2151_zps8e90aead.jpg

Thanks for looking

20LogR

Any update? This is a very cool idea

Archived