Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

I know that the last batch didn't survive transit, but are you coming down for MAX this weekend? If so, I'll bring you some...

No I'm not. But thanks for thinking of me :flower:.

I have a crocea that is high in my tank and at one point the return was blowing on it more than it liked. I changed the return and the clam relaxed and has been "well happy as a clam" ever since.

No I'm not. But thanks for thinking of me :flower:.

:happydance:

Beautiful tank!

Thank you!

I have a crocea that is high in my tank and at one point the return was blowing on it more than it liked. I changed the return and the clam relaxed and has been "well happy as a clam" ever since.

I'm hoping that is the case here too. I'll keep you all updated!

I finally received the upgrade for my MP10 ES. I'm not rockin' the QD (Quiet Drive). Besides looking cooler, this actually does quiet the noise from the MP10. I'm not sure how it works, because the only thing that changed is the driver. The actual propeller part(s) are the same.

My first impressions were good. Ecotech is the boss when it comes to packaging and slick looking products. Installation was a snap, as you just change out the motherboard inside the driver box. When I turned it on, I had to check the tank to see if it was actually working. It produces zero noise at low-medium levels. I cranked it up on the normal mode, and still heard nothing. Curious about the new "gyre" mode, I switched it over to purple and set it at medium. It gave me a pulsing mode, that created terrific water movement, but I don't think there's really any difference between that and pulse mode. I figured it didn't have it up high enough, so I dialed it up about 80% and the dry side of the assembly promptly fell off the back of my tank. Awesome. It did that about 3 times before I gave up and decided to go back to my favorite "reef crest" (yellow) mode. I have that set to max out around 80%, and the magnet hasn't had a problem. I guess the regular hard pulsing just shakes the assembly too much and the magnet can't cope. Pretty rough if that's the mode you like. Thankfully, I don't need it.

It's a cheap upgrade, like $50, and it really does eliminate the noise to a point where I don't hear it unless I put my ear within 18 inches of the pump, or turn the thing all the way up (in which case I'm blowing water out the top of the tank). Plus it's black... and looks cool in in my cabinet!

EStoQD.jpg

• Like 1

Went to MAX today and was a little naughty.

Here's a hint:

b8f11f3b-6793-46d2-a4d6-67c6b07f8a57_zps

I don't know what kind of zoa it is, but it looks expensive LOL. So how was MAX????? Win anything? Get any freebies?

I've been to Reefapalooza once...it was a blast. One of my freebies was chopsticks...don't ask LOL.

How's the clam doing now?

Not so good. I came into the office this weekend, and the mantle was barely out. It was fully pinched on one side, and just looking very pathetic. So I took a chance, pried the poor thing off it's rock (again) and gave it another RO/DI bath. It soaked in fresh water for about 30 minutes, and I put it back in it's spot.

Honestly, I expected to come in this morning to find a gaping empty shell, but it's hanging in there. It's still not open very much, but the part that's open actually looks flat and even. I'm pulling for it, but we'll see what happens.

Not so good. I came into the office this weekend, and the mantle was barely out. It was fully pinched on one side, and just looking very pathetic. So I took a chance, pried the poor thing off it's rock (again) and gave it another RO/DI bath. It soaked in fresh water for about 30 minutes, and I put it back in it's spot.

Honestly, I expected to come in this morning to find a gaping empty shell, but it's hanging in there. It's still not open very much, but the part that's open actually looks flat and even. I'm pulling for it, but we'll see what happens.

:(fingerscrossed

• Like 1

I picked up the new Galaxy S6 Edge this weekend, and figured I'd check out the camera. It was an admittedly tough challenge right out of the gate, but here are some early morning (heavy actinic) shots. No editing...

20150420_084947_zpsc0d7ff7b.jpg

20150420_084744_zps16d4d2c9.jpg

20150420_084819_zpsc144540e.jpg

20150420_084838_zps0756420b.jpg

• Like 5

I don't know what kind of zoa it is, but it looks expensive LOL. So how was MAX????? Win anything? Get any freebies?

I've been to Reefapalooza once...it was a blast. One of my freebies was chopsticks...don't ask LOL.

It was a good show. A lot smaller than RAP, but had the same basic cast of characters. The mystery paly is a Hallucination. I've been drooling over them for a while. I had purchased one a few months ago from a local guy and it melted in a day or two. This one looks strong (knock on wood), so I'm optimisitc!

Here's the full monty. This is with my cell phone, no color enhancing or post-editing.

01b16402-f2b9-4023-85c1-8a1a5e2abec8_zps

• Like 3

I think it's cool that I can post non-tank related stuff from time to time and find interested people!

Here's an update on the patio table. I had stained the table brown, and then gray, and the gray totally dominated. I was bummed, so I did a pretty good surface sanding, trying to remove a bunch of the gray. I didn't find anything brown underneath, which was disappointing, so I thought I'd reapply the brown and see what happened. I'm pretty pleased with the results. The sanding brought out natural wood grain, which (of course) accepted the brown stain very well. The only problem is that the gray parts didn't really accept the stain, so it's a little shiny. I think a light sanding and a poly coat or three will fix my issues. Here's the current look.

20150420_080346_zps384cf0bd.jpg

20150420_080403_zps059e0345.jpg

• Like 3

It was a good show. A lot smaller than RAP, but had the same basic cast of characters. The mystery paly is a Hallucination. I've been drooling over them for a while. I had purchased one a few months ago from a local guy and it melted in a day or two. This one looks strong (knock on wood), so I'm optimisitc!

Here's the full monty. This is with my cell phone, no color enhancing or post-editing.

01b16402-f2b9-4023-85c1-8a1a5e2abec8_zps

Sweet Hallucination.

• Like 1

That table turned out AWESOME Chris! The best part is it is truly unique. The only way you could get that to look that way is to stain it in the order that you did. It worked out great in the end. Oh and I completely agree, it is cool being able to find others that enjoy multiple of the same hobbies as you do. And that hallucination paly is sick!

• Like 1

That table turned out AWESOME Chris! The best part is it is truly unique. The only way you could get that to look that way is to stain it in the order that you did. It worked out great in the end. Oh and I completely agree, it is cool being able to find others that enjoy multiple of the same hobbies as you do. And that hallucination paly is sick!

The patio table really turned out amazing!

Thanks for the positive reinforcement! It's easy to get frustrated when you feel like you made a mistake. But sometimes, those "mistakes" lead to nice results that you didn't even expect.

I think I might toss that table up on Craigslist and see if I get any hits. It's certainly not perfect, but the experience from making this one, and the help of a planer would go a long way to making a real nice display quality piece. Maybe I can fund my reef habit?

• Like 1

Love the table. I think it turned out neat with the slight bits of gray and the grain pulling through.

Thanks Scott. I dig that Pearlberry frag you picked up. I'd love to find one just like it.

• Like 1

:(fingerscrossed

The clam drama continues. A couple days after it's (second) RO/DI bath, the clam is back to looking "normal." Mantle is extended again and showing great responsiveness. I don't know what the deal is, but it's not dead!

Clam_zpso2qzqqjn.jpg

• Like 1

I traded away my 3 maxi-mini nems for an orange plate coral. I was pretty bored with them, and I didn't feel like they were complementing my tank well. I wanted that area to be open for future SPS frags/colonies.

I had originally thought to just sell them off, but a trade was offered, and I had to accept. I've never had a plate coral before, and while they're not terribly interesting, the coloration is spectacular, and is easily the brightest thing in my tank. I haven't really figured out a place for it yet, but here it sits for now. (Photo-bombing conch makes an appearance as well!)

4e57083f-913d-44df-8efd-2fb3b07a889d_zps

I picked up a few new sticks this weekend from a local hobbyist. They don't look like a whole lot in this photo, but they're nice pieces, and I think they'll color up nicely.

There's some kind of staghorn on the left. It was a freebie, as it was an accidental frag. It's got purple base and green tips (I think). The funky looking piece in the middle (just to the left of the green slimer) is ORA Pearlberry. I was very excited to find some. Then just to the right of the slimer is some ORA Red Planet. It's already super hairy, and I think it'll show really nice colors under the Radion.

64288d3d-3c71-460f-a6dc-8f71bf307fb9_zps