ReefCleaners.org

Chris' CAD Lights 45g Shallow : Another Re-Scape (Video)

cnseekatz

I had that same Vertex, Great skimmer, however I ended up having to run it in waaaay less water that recommend. I think I had mine in like 5-6" before I got it to stop overflowing, but after that it was a beast! I think you'll love it!

• Like 1

Heading off on vacation tomorrow. I've got everything as automated as possible, so that my (inexperienced) tank-sitter shouldn't have to do much more than fill up the ATO reservoir. Also have a local buddy on call in case of emergency.

Think happy thoughts for my tank for the next 10 days!!

• 2 weeks later...

Need your help!

I've installed a new Vertex Omega 130 into my sump. It's a beautiful skimmer, and it fits perfectly. My problem so far is that it just continually overflows.

- I've raised the skimmer (physically) as far as I can, the drain pipe is not just under the surface of the water.

- I have the drain pipe fully open to lower the water level as much as possible.

- The volute (part that screws into the intake of the pump) is screwed all the way in.

I've read that the thing needs time to break in, and I've only had it running for a couple of days, but I would think that a skimmer that's not properly broken in would lead to problems with being able to create/maintain a foam head, and not with overflowing.

I've read about restricting the airflow with something like this, but am not sure that the airflow is the problem.

p_rd_821078_13653Z.jpg

Check out the video, and tell me if you see anything wrong, or have any ideas how to dial down the power!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzbT9zXN9ok

I was working in my sump this morning, when I felt a splash rain down on me from above. I looked to my right and found my blue star leopard sitting on the floor next to me. I scooped her up and dropped her into my fuge, and she immediately started swimming around, and within 5 minutes was picking at the millions of pods living in there.

Talk about right place, right time....

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the poor girl.

• Like 1

The skimmer probably just needs to break in for a week or so.

I had a screen lid made for my Aryisan 70 which is basically the a taller version of your tank. It doesn't look bad and if you've got jumpers I would invest the 35.00 and have one made.

I was working in my sump this morning, when I felt a splash rain down on me from above. I looked to my right and found my blue star leopard sitting on the floor next to me. I scooped her up and dropped her into my fuge, and she immediately started swimming around, and within 5 minutes was picking at the millions of pods living in there.

Talk about right place, right time....

Now I just need to figure out what to do with the poor girl.

Glad you were able to save her guess its time for a canopy ;) ...smiz does awesome work

The skimmer probably just needs to break in fir a week or so.

I had a screen lid made for my Aryisan 70 which is basically the a taller version of your tank. It doesn't look bad and if you've got jumpers I would invest the 35.00 and have one made.

Glad you were able to save her guess its time for a canopy ;) ...smiz does awesome work

I've got glass tops for the tank, but I rarely use them. She's been bullied by the Potter's leopard, and I'm guessing that's why she jumped. I guess one of them is going to have to go.

Unless I keep her in the fuge, so she can mow down all those pods, and let her grow. Then when she's bigger than the Potter's, I can add her back, and watch the fun...

My Curve 5 will not stop overflowing. I raised it a lot too. Then suddenly it stopped overflowing and now I can't even get it to skim because not enough foam is getting created. Stupid skimmers. I am looking into one with DC pump now.

I bought a little valve that I'm going to install onto the air-line, and see if restricting the airflow will allow me to dial in the skimmer. It seems like it's not the water level that's giving me problems, but the amount of bubbles. I'll keep you posted!

I added an air valve to the air-line on my new skimmer. SUCCESS. Choking the air works wonders for controlling the skimmer. It makes it a little louder (LAME), but I'm pulling some nice dark garbage out of the tank now.

It's amazing how much clearer the water is when you're skimmer is working correctly!! I'm hoping that this'll help with some of the nuisance algae I've been experiencing.

Still have the blue-star in my sump. She's doing great and looks THRILLED to be in my fuge with all the free space and pods running around. I just hope she doesn't eat the whole population while she's down there.

• Like 1

The pump on the 130 is extremely overpowered for the skimmer. And cutting the air back tends to fix the problem, but adds a lot more noise. I've had the skimmer for almost a year and I tried taking the valve off and it will overflow no matter how long you run it. I hid the valve inside the silencer so it's more better looking !

The pump on the 130 is extremely overpowered for the skimmer. And cutting the air back tends to fix the problem, but adds a lot more noise. I've had the skimmer for almost a year and I tried taking the valve off and it will overflow no matter how long you run it. I hid the valve inside the silencer so it's more better looking !

Yeah, that seems to be the case. Pretty disappointing that they would create a product that won't work properly out of the box.

On our trip to Belize, we spent a few days on an island that literally sits on top of a barrier reef. We were able to snorkel right off the end of the dock. It was beautiful there, and felt like swimming through a giant reef tank. It was flush with sea fans, gorgonians, brain corals and tons of amazing fish. We saw tons of parrot fish, wrasses, puffers, and even a few big beautiful angelfish. I took some photos underwater, but none of them turned out all that great. :(

Each night, the hotel would shine UV lights into the water on the end of the dock, and we'd sit there and watch the rays drift in and out of the light like ghosts. Spotted Eagle Rays. We all know how tough it is to photograph under actinics, and the world's largest tank proved no different.

• Like 5

Thanks man!

We kinda went all over the place. We spent time in San Pedro (Ambergris Caye), San Ignacio (in the jungle), and Hatchet Caye (the island in the video, 18 miles offshore from Placencia).

Depending on what you're looking to do, all of those are good options. We really enjoyed our time at Hatchet Caye, and the snorkeling there is amazing. The hotel is the only thing on the island, so go there to chill. San Pedro is cool too. Beachy, but with a little more going on.

Here's one of the underwater shots that turned out pretty well...

12370808_10153537092989221_3361632826659

For the mangrove fans out there... here's our cabana on Hatchet Caye.

12371189_10153537095374221_8750477208012

I had lionfish tacos for lunch every day on the island. They were amazing...

12373413_10153537092789221_4817206847438

• Like 7

Congratulations!

Hatchet Caye sounds amazing. Nothing to do but chill out and enjoy the sun, snorkel, watch rays and turtles, and eat lionfish tacos? Sign me up :D

• Like 1

Congratulations!

Hatchet Caye sounds amazing. Nothing to do but chill out and enjoy the sun, snorkel, watch rays and turtles, and eat lionfish tacos? Sign me up :D

Youknowdis

• Like 1

Need your help!

I've installed a new Vertex Omega 130 into my sump. It's a beautiful skimmer, and it fits perfectly. My problem so far is that it just continually overflows.

Mine probably took 3 weeks to break in to the point I could trust it. A year later it produces a beautiful dry skimmate, but certainly had me very frustrated for the first month.

• Like 1